Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

A few Questions...


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 AM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default A few Questions...

So I have been in business for a few months now. I really started full time this month and so far have done some clean ups and have landed a few residential accounts. Since going full time, I have been averaging one new account a week. Most homes have less than 3500 sq ft of yard that needs servicing.

My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been? I am not trying in no way to low ball the local market, but at the same time i want to build up long term customers and establish routes. I know every region is different and prices vary but A) I have the extra time and B) the price difference is less than $50 on most homes so far.

My second question is about craigslist. I have noticed that there are a few companies locally that post 3-5 times a day. This makes my ad pretty much disappear unless the person looking for my services just happens to be on at the right time. I do not want to be that guy that overloads craigslist, but I enjoy the free advertising. So far I have landed two calls this month from it and have only posted twice so far this month. I was wondering whats is a good interval to post new ads or renew ads? what do you guys recommend?

My third question is about shirts. So far I have had a few polos embroidered and really think it has payed off far as my companies appearance during bids. I want to get some long sleeve shirts screen printed (about a dozen) but so far have not found a place online that I can design my shirts and get them at a decent price (most want around $30 a shirt) is there any place that you all know of that may be better priced online?

My last question is more of a preference question. I have a Honda 215 model mower that I got for free and a Mclane rotary mower that I picked up from craigslist for $60 that has a Honda motor and both run decent but I do not feel are as reliable as I need because of age/ not really taken care of before me. I would like to more less use them as back ups when needed and am looking at buying a new Honda mower in the near future. I have been wondering if the Honda commercial line would be a better investment or just going with their HRX 217 line would be better as far as ROI ?

Thank you all for reading my post, and keep in mind when replying that I am still a newbie in this industry that is trying to make a living.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
LawnBoy0311 LawnBoy0311 is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 0
LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomYardService View Post
So I have been in business for a few months now. I really started full time this month and so far have done some clean ups and have landed a few residential accounts. Since going full time, I have been averaging one new account a week. Most homes have less than 3500 sq ft of yard that needs servicing.

My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been? I am not trying in no way to low ball the local market, but at the same time i want to build up long term customers and establish routes. I know every region is different and prices vary but A) I have the extra time and B) the price difference is less than $50 on most homes so far.

My second question is about craigslist. I have noticed that there are a few companies locally that post 3-5 times a day. This makes my ad pretty much disappear unless the person looking for my services just happens to be on at the right time. I do not want to be that guy that overloads craigslist, but I enjoy the free advertising. So far I have landed two calls this month from it and have only posted twice so far this month. I was wondering whats is a good interval to post new ads or renew ads? what do you guys recommend?

My third question is about shirts. So far I have had a few polos embroidered and really think it has payed off far as my companies appearance during bids. I want to get some long sleeve shirts screen printed (about a dozen) but so far have not found a place online that I can design my shirts and get them at a decent price (most want around $30 a shirt) is there any place that you all know of that may be better priced online?

My last question is more of a preference question. I have a Honda 215 model mower that I got for free and a Mclane rotary mower that I picked up from craigslist for $60 that has a Honda motor and both run decent but I do not feel are as reliable as I need because of age/ not really taken care of before me. I would like to more less use them as back ups when needed and am looking at buying a new Honda mower in the near future. I have been wondering if the Honda commercial line would be a better investment or just going with their HRX 217 line would be better as far as ROI ?

Thank you all for reading my post, and keep in mind when replying that I am still a newbie in this industry that is trying to make a living.
Hopefully I can help you....but I don't feel like typing a whole lot. So your going to get short answers.


Question 1. Don't drop your rate. Charge accordingly. If its overgrown, then charge for it. BUT- make sure you go there and see the property BEFORE you quote! I see a lot of people use google or google earth to give quotes....thats a good way to lose your @$$.


Question 2. Post a few ad's a day. Make your subject stand out, don't post the usual "Cheap Lawn Care". Best times to post: 8am, noon, and 7pm.

Question 3. I can't find any for a good price.

Question 4. I don't know anything about honda's. But if its free, use it till its dead. If its only a push mower, its easy to get another one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,822
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
My first question is on the first service, I normally charge more for these because most lawns so far are really out of shape and have not been touched in months so i base my price off of my hourly rate and factor in the difficulty level to come up with a price. My question is if I should gamble and waive the price of the first mow and just charge the weekly rate in order to secure the customer long term or keep going the same route I have been?
What percentage of those estimates are you winning when you give a higher price?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

I have the same mower as you and I beat it to hell for 4 years and it runs fine. I also have a older honda model from the early 90s that still run. I bought a few toros and they broke in less then 2 years.

I would look at a good size walk behind. The time difference youll spend on a lawn is worth the investment. My first 48" walk behind was also from the 90s and it ran fine all the way till the day I sold it.

Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 01-24-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
I have the same mower as you and I beat it to hell for 4 years and it runs fine. I also have a older honda model from the early 90s that still run. I bought a few toros and they broke in less then 2 years.

I would look at a good size walk behind. The time difference youll spend on a lawn is worth the investment. My first 48" walk behind was also from the 90s and it ran fine all the way till the day I sold it.
Thank you, I will check out that site. I ended up going down to the local mower shop and picked up a new HRC-216. I really like the blade stop feature and for the size lawns I am doing right now, it is perfect. I will however look for a bigger walk behind here in the near future or when the property sizes increase. I am glad you mentioned that about your toros. I was almost about to purchase one of them, but I just haven't herd much about them and I know the Hondas can last a long time if taken care of correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
FreedomYardService's Avatar
FreedomYardService FreedomYardService is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 3
FreedomYardService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What percentage of those estimates are you winning when you give a higher price?
I have won ever single one of my cleanups. I have been debating increasing the price a little more on that though. The problem is, getting the customers converted over to a regular plan now. Most say, they will be calling me back for a regular mowing plan in the next few months. I was thinking about offering to mow it at my weekly or bi-weekly price if the sign up with me now or pay the higher price for the one time clean up. My total loss would be less than $50 on most homes and I would be gaining a regular monthly customer now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,822
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
I have won ever single one of my cleanups. I have been debating increasing the price a little more on that though.
If you are getting every single one of them, you are more than likely no charging enough. A business theory we see many on here subscribe to is, early on they will bid lower to get the work. As their schedule fills up, they raise their prices and start to replace customers they are not making enough money on with customers that pay more. So you are on the right track.

We also have to keep in mind what you are talking about is one time jobs that you are trying to convert to weekly.

One of the problems you may be having with the conversion of it is because, the mowing season may not be here yet, depending on where you live. So if the customer doesn't need it done again next week and may not need it cut for another month(s) it becomes an out of sight out of mind issue.

If that is the case, you will most likely have more success with the conversion of one time to weekly customers, when the mowing season gets going.

Quote:
I was thinking about offering to mow it at my weekly or bi-weekly price if the sign up with me now or pay the higher price for the one time clean up. My total loss would be less than $50 on most homes and I would be gaining a regular monthly customer now.
If it is worth it to you to experiment with this, then try it out. See how it works. I am thinking you won't have to do this once the mowing season is here, but you will never know for sure what works until you experiment with it.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
craigslist, first mow, honda mowers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy with some questions in P.A. M.A.H. Starting a lawn care business. 11 11-06-2012 10:13 AM
Questions We Have devuono311 Starting a lawn care business. 5 04-03-2010 08:59 AM
Few Questions Lynden-Jeff Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 01-04-2007 04:50 PM
2 questions... Billz Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 03-26-2006 08:20 PM
Two Questions tiedeman Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 3 08-14-2005 06:04 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
Today 06:05 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
41 15,843
TaskEasy & Plowz & Mowz...
jrwalker333
Yesterday 01:02 PM
Today 03:51 PM
by jrwalker333
2 68
Bidding to get other work
Rodriguez11
07-21-2011 11:52 PM
Today 02:49 PM
by Steve
26 9,266
What happened to Better...
Steve
01-27-2014 04:07 PM
Today 02:06 PM
by Chilehead
18 3,015
second year advise
cmdlawncare
01-23-2015 06:22 PM
Today 01:58 PM
by Steve
5 175
please Help with none...
Lawnboyman1170
01-09-2015 09:46 AM
Today 01:33 PM
by Steve
8 471
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 11:41 AM
Yesterday 09:34 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
9 492
need advise
rawssrob
02-23-2010 02:45 PM
01-23-2015 06:40 PM
by cmdlawncare
7 2,524
does this sound good or...
Bradcook21
01-22-2015 09:24 AM
01-23-2015 02:02 PM
by Steve
8 239
New to forum
ROB N
01-23-2015 08:35 AM
01-23-2015 01:53 PM
by Steve
1 90
Looking for advice on...
berryjam
01-21-2015 07:37 PM
01-23-2015 01:50 PM
by Steve
9 263
Extending the life of...
rmccutchan
01-17-2015 12:37 AM
01-23-2015 01:43 PM
by Steve
8 323
osceola lawn service
jasa@wildblue.net
01-22-2015 03:23 PM
01-23-2015 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 116
How many contracts...
5StarLawnscaping
01-12-2015 03:51 PM
01-23-2015 08:46 AM
by jrs.landscaping
8 446
Tax Question
Wolf4dk
01-20-2015 01:11 AM
01-22-2015 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 230
Billy Goat Vac
Mr. Mow
01-19-2015 07:42 AM
01-22-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
6 229
"Part Timers", "Low...
doug1980
06-10-2009 12:55 PM
01-22-2015 02:09 PM
by biglee
39 10,121
Property Pricing
GVL
01-19-2015 02:46 PM
01-21-2015 02:18 PM
by Steve
5 271
Landscapers Source For...
breadcrumb
01-16-2015 02:44 PM
01-21-2015 05:55 AM
by breadcrumb
14 422
Hoa advice
Bradcook21
01-16-2015 09:36 PM
01-20-2015 04:30 PM
by Steve
4 261
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 07:51 PM
01-20-2015 10:16 AM
by biglee
16 606
How to beat the pre pay...
stansg1fresh
01-13-2015 04:33 PM
01-19-2015 03:38 PM
by ringahding1
3 334
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
01-19-2015 01:37 PM
by Steve
12 1,113
Hi from Illinois
burtle
01-02-2015 09:46 PM
01-19-2015 01:22 PM
by Steve
3 503
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
01-19-2015 01:20 PM
by Steve
14 1,431
Lost my @#$ blower
stevef1201
01-11-2015 08:31 AM
01-17-2015 02:21 PM
by lxarth
2 362
Another Illinoisan.....
barhopper
01-11-2015 05:38 PM
01-16-2015 04:29 PM
by Steve
10 418
marketing with pizza...
apmAkron
01-15-2015 09:57 AM
01-15-2015 06:29 PM
by Steve
4 250
CRM and Quickbooks?
5StarLawnscaping
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
01-15-2015 08:06 AM
by 5StarLawnscaping
0 179
New Member, Indiana Iraq...
Timbo
07-14-2011 09:44 AM
01-14-2015 06:14 PM
by Steve
10 3,781
check this box truck out!
BLAZIER-1991
01-07-2015 07:40 PM
01-13-2015 03:06 PM
by biglee
8 619
My community only ad...
googus
01-12-2015 09:55 AM
01-13-2015 02:44 PM
by Steve
5 313
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 09:07 AM
01-13-2015 09:37 AM
by Chilehead
18 1,787
use a small business...
BLAZIER-1991
12-25-2014 12:21 AM
01-12-2015 06:32 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
30 1,544
tips on creating a...
BLAZIER-1991
01-08-2015 07:22 PM
01-12-2015 06:19 PM
by BLAZIER-1991
4 453
During Your Down Time
achri12
12-24-2014 03:03 PM
01-12-2015 03:54 PM
by Steve
10 1,081
Leaf cleanup
Bradcook21
01-09-2015 02:21 PM
01-12-2015 12:22 PM
by Jamesw86
4 425
Has Anyone Used Plowz ?
dpld
01-08-2014 12:14 PM
01-11-2015 02:17 PM
by burtle
20 3,351
What to pay help
Bradcook21
01-07-2015 01:32 PM
01-08-2015 07:01 PM
by Steve
1 461
Need a trailer
googus
01-07-2015 09:40 AM
01-08-2015 10:24 AM
by Upscale2
7 568
Do you guys charge buy...
burtle
01-02-2015 09:58 PM
01-07-2015 08:37 PM
by Shark1611
14 923
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 07:05 PM
01-07-2015 07:05 PM
by greyhound
18 2,161
Need advice please
CHenricks
01-06-2015 01:17 AM
01-07-2015 03:34 PM
by Steve
4 532
Mowing 2 acres
Bradcook21
01-05-2015 03:13 PM
01-07-2015 03:32 PM
by Steve
9 672
Ideas on a large bid
Knaubone
12-21-2014 11:57 AM
01-06-2015 03:55 PM
by Steve
5 984
Trailer with 4ft sides...
mayala030292
01-02-2015 09:01 PM
01-06-2015 03:33 PM
by Steve
5 619
A tip to get good...
biglee
01-04-2015 12:07 AM
01-06-2015 03:30 PM
by Steve
4 600
Work Shoes!
rsanchez1203
02-19-2013 12:07 PM
01-05-2015 09:18 PM
by Havanese2
13 7,448
EDDM post cards
hemiman
02-13-2014 06:36 PM
01-05-2015 04:22 PM
by Steve
14 2,415
Cleaning your Mower and...
MNK
01-03-2015 01:22 AM
01-05-2015 09:17 AM
by rmccutchan
10 756
» Popular Tags
2wd 4wd 4x4 aerocore apartment bid apartment complex apartment lawn care estimate applying auger billy goat brushcutter blades bush collections deliquentaccounts ditches employee problems equipment rental first truck flyers foreman georgia google gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business hiring husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mr dave mulch new buisness new mower per hour service podcast pricing pto push versus ride running a business savannah search engine optimization seo shell small engine repair snow plowing square foot starting a business starting a lawn care business start up lawn care business steep lawns sulky theft toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack up sell employee walk behind
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy