Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation
A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

Mowing when leaves have fallen

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 AM

Grass Doctor is on a distinguished road

yeah charge the focker extra for the mow if u bag or just mow with a mulcher kit over them and if he give u $hittt about it tell him u are giving him a favor by not charge him for the clean up he dont want to pay for.

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator

Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 AM

LawnBoy0311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Doctor View Post
i use to have a great concept about him but i don't know i have a taste of $hit im mouth about some hedges that a guy was asking how much to charge i said 50.00 cents per sqf he try to give me $hitt for it like i care. yeah yeah he seems like he knows what hes talking about i give him 50/50 as far as i know he can be like godslaper owner of 10 dump trucks and 20 scabs who cares i use to work for a guy that charge 1,200,00.00 for a residential landscape project in arizona for some music producer. wtf ever anything its posible in this life
Agreed 110%. He can dish it, but can't take it. Quick to judge others opinions too.

About 10 or 12 years ago, I worked for a large landscape company. He was in his 3rd year of business when I started. We were doing multi million dollar landscape projects on new houses, TONS of commercial properties, and a never ending list of residential properties. His company was doing VERY well. I remember the day he paid cash for a dump truck, had the custom paint and logo on it. His display also won 1st place at a homes and garden show a few years in a row. No need to go on, you get the idea. By his 4th year, things started going wrong. His attitude got the best of him. I know a lot of his customers left; out of the 8 he had on my street, he didn't have a single one left. His company when right down the crapper. From what I hear from old friends, he has a few residential and commercial properties left, and thats it. 40 something years old and moved back in at his parents house. He started nickle and diming customers to death, and they found someone else. His price increases were too much, contracts were out of whack, it seemed as if he was in it for the $$, but couldn't care less about the customers. A real TruGreen approach with one major problem...he wasn't national.

When I think of starting a company, I think of growing it as big and best as I can. All of us joined this forum to to learn and help eachother. I chose not to read too many posts by DPLD because he's quick to slam others into the ground. If it's not his way, it's wrong. He may have a large company, he may own 50 trucks, doing $1 Mill + a year. Who knows. Some of his advice I found to be very misleading. Everyone here has good advice and input. Some a lot better than others.

The original poster asked a simple question. I would think that if it took quite a bit longer, he or she would charge accordingly. If it's just a few leaves on the ground, mulch or bag (in his case) and keep it moving. By no means would I "give away the farm". But if it takes a few extra minutes and I didn't factor it in to my quoted price, I'd do it to satisfy the customer. We all come from different areas, so the situation would be different for all of us, therefore we all have our own opinions.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM

dpld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 View Post
Agreed 110%. He can dish it, but can't take it. Quick to judge others opinions too.

About 10 or 12 years ago, I worked for a large landscape company. He was in his 3rd year of business when I started. We were doing multi million dollar landscape projects on new houses, TONS of commercial properties, and a never ending list of residential properties. His company was doing VERY well. I remember the day he paid cash for a dump truck, had the custom paint and logo on it. His display also won 1st place at a homes and garden show a few years in a row. No need to go on, you get the idea. By his 4th year, things started going wrong. His attitude got the best of him. I know a lot of his customers left; out of the 8 he had on my street, he didn't have a single one left. His company when right down the crapper. From what I hear from old friends, he has a few residential and commercial properties left, and thats it. 40 something years old and moved back in at his parents house. He started nickle and diming customers to death, and they found someone else. His price increases were too much, contracts were out of whack, it seemed as if he was in it for the $$, but couldn't care less about the customers. A real TruGreen approach with one major problem...he wasn't national.

When I think of starting a company, I think of growing it as big and best as I can. All of us joined this forum to to learn and help eachother. I chose not to read too many posts by DPLD because he's quick to slam others into the ground. If it's not his way, it's wrong. He may have a large company, he may own 50 trucks, doing $1 Mill + a year. Who knows. Some of his advice I found to be very misleading. Everyone here has good advice and input. Some a lot better than others.

The original poster asked a simple question. I would think that if it took quite a bit longer, he or she would charge accordingly. If it's just a few leaves on the ground, mulch or bag (in his case) and keep it moving. By no means would I "give away the farm". But if it takes a few extra minutes and I didn't factor it in to my quoted price, I'd do it to satisfy the customer. We all come from different areas, so the situation would be different for all of us, therefore we all have our own opinions.

i would sure love for you to put up some actual quotes and point out to me where i have slammed others for their opinions and give misleading advice.

you surely have me confused with someone else and outside of guys like godslapper and weekend warrior i have never had any issues with anyone and the two guys i mentioned everyone had a problem with so i was not alone.

you seem to be real quick on judging people and coming to your own personal conclusion that is not based on any fact what so ever.

please don't compare me to a godslapper because i take great pride in my business and how i appear and who i hire and if you are not a red blooded american you will not work for me.
i don't use and never have used wetbacks so please don't go there and my business is what it is from 23 years of busting my azz and 27 years of learning everything i could and making all the sacrifices to do so.

whether you like how i say it or not i usually don't give advice lightly and i am fully aware that most on these boards are new to the biz and are looking to learn and i like to share some of my experiences with the younger dudes and dudettes and if i suggested something to someone and it caused hardship on them i would take that very personally.

i have never had as much back and forth with anyone on these boards until you came along and i come here to talk shop with everyone and share some stories and the last thing i want is to deal with this nonsense.

lets get back to the topic, the OP has a customer who is not paying for a clean up and now is incurring leaves and wonders if he should charge or let sleeping dogs lie, correct?

now, there are two ways to look at this, 1. it is actually taking more of his time and he is concerned enough to come on here and seek advice or 2. it is absolutely no big deal and he wanted to make a post here for no reason what so ever and only did so because he can.

i would thing that it is a problem for him because he asked and i said, if it is a lot and it is increasing your time on the job to adjust the charges accordingly and if it is no big deal and affecting his bottom line then just do it and forget about it.

you pretty much say, customer is always right and no matter what they ask for you do it for the same price and this dpld wants to rob everyone blind and even charge people to move their newspaper from the lawn to the porch and is a miserable old man that is mad at the world and stuck behind the machine thinking about the old days.

to me, based from all your replies it would suggest that you are the one who thinks they know it all because you are trying so hard to push the issue that you are the one who knows best and knows all there is to every thing me.

you say you are new to the biz and you come here to learn but yet you say everything i suggest is wrong and misleading as if you know and if you know as much as you think why would you be here instead of out applying all your great knowledge to building your empire?

i am done with this topic because it went from a question about additional work to a slander fest.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Grass Doctor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
Bag???

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

No.
hey not all of us have a nice Ferris with a brand spanking new mulching kit on it instead some of us have a honda with a twin blade system and a bag.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM

selectcutservices is on a distinguished road
Default good way to go through the year on north east (michigan)

April
Spring Clean-up: Remove leaves, sticks and debris from all bed areas and lawn
One Mowing

May through October 1st
Weekly mowing and trimming
Edging of cement walks and drives every 2nd week
All grass clippings to be blown off of walks and drives

October
Fall-Clean-up: Remove leaves, sticks and debris from all bed areas and lawn
Two mowings

Novemeber
Final Fall-Clean-up: Remove leaves, sticks and debris from all bed areas and lawn
Final Mowing

you can figure out what you need to charge and then give a monthly quote and just charge by the month
Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 PM

LawnCareMan280 is on a distinguished road
Talking suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phouse65 View Post
I was wondering how to deal with the customers that do not want fall cleanup or leaf removal, but you end up mowing their leaves up every week? Do you add a leaf removal fee anyway? Just looking for some suggestions on how to deal with this issue.
What I do is I give my customers free leaf cleanup because they say I do a lot of nice work so I just give it to them for free.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM

greenscaper123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i would sure love for you to put up some actual quotes and point out to me where i have slammed others for their opinions and give misleading advice.

you surely have me confused with someone else and outside of guys like godslapper and weekend warrior i have never had any issues with anyone and the two guys i mentioned everyone had a problem with so i was not alone.

you seem to be real quick on judging people and coming to your own personal conclusion that is not based on any fact what so ever.

please don't compare me to a godslapper because i take great pride in my business and how i appear and who i hire and if you are not a red blooded american you will not work for me.
i don't use and never have used wetbacks so please don't go there and my business is what it is from 23 years of busting my azz and 27 years of learning everything i could and making all the sacrifices to do so.

whether you like how i say it or not i usually don't give advice lightly and i am fully aware that most on these boards are new to the biz and are looking to learn and i like to share some of my experiences with the younger dudes and dudettes and if i suggested something to someone and it caused hardship on them i would take that very personally.

i have never had as much back and forth with anyone on these boards until you came along and i come here to talk shop with everyone and share some stories and the last thing i want is to deal with this nonsense.

lets get back to the topic, the OP has a customer who is not paying for a clean up and now is incurring leaves and wonders if he should charge or let sleeping dogs lie, correct?

now, there are two ways to look at this, 1. it is actually taking more of his time and he is concerned enough to come on here and seek advice or 2. it is absolutely no big deal and he wanted to make a post here for no reason what so ever and only did so because he can.

i would thing that it is a problem for him because he asked and i said, if it is a lot and it is increasing your time on the job to adjust the charges accordingly and if it is no big deal and affecting his bottom line then just do it and forget about it.

you pretty much say, customer is always right and no matter what they ask for you do it for the same price and this dpld wants to rob everyone blind and even charge people to move their newspaper from the lawn to the porch and is a miserable old man that is mad at the world and stuck behind the machine thinking about the old days.

to me, based from all your replies it would suggest that you are the one who thinks they know it all because you are trying so hard to push the issue that you are the one who knows best and knows all there is to every thing me.

you say you are new to the biz and you come here to learn but yet you say everything i suggest is wrong and misleading as if you know and if you know as much as you think why would you be here instead of out applying all your great knowledge to building your empire?

i am done with this topic because it went from a question about additional work to a slander fest.
I know this thread has pretty much been answered but I would say if you have to take anyones advice on this it would be DPLD. While I've been in this business for about 14 years I just started my own company this year and I run things pretty simple I feel. You get paid for your time worked. If it's taking you more than a 1/3 of your normal time spent, then you should be charging accordingly. It also depends on who the customer is also. If customer A gives me a ton of side work throughout the year, pays on time and pays well.. well then I might not mind doing some additional service like picking up a few branches or leaves. Now if customer B is a cheap skate, doesn't pay on time, complains all the time and is just generally a pain in my a$$.. then more than likely he won't be getting any charity work from me. Besides, in my experience, the ones that are a pain usually won't stay on too long anyway cause they're constantly looking for somebody who can cut your lawn for $1 cheaper. So why go the extra mile for those customers?

To answer your question OP.. if they don't want a clean up, ASK them what they would like you to do with the leaves while your cutting. You can offer them a variety of options. 1) You mulch the leaves up and let them lay on the lawn with no additional charge. 2) You bag them and charge accordingly 3) You tell them, if you don't want to pay for a clean up AND you want your lawn cut without the leaves mulched all over the place, they need to get off their a$$ and pick them up.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road

I just did a cut for a new client today - first time cut.

There were a ton of leaves on the side of the building in an area about 15'x 30' and he asked if I could remove them. I had given a quote of $50 to do the lawn the day before and said I'd mulch the leaves that could be mulched and if there were too many leaves, I'd have to charge a little extra to remove the rest.

That's what I did. I asked if he would be agreeable to an extra $25 to remove the remaining leaves and he was fine with that. Ultimately, I undercharged for that part, as there were more leaves than I bargained for since I had to bag the majority of them. That took more time than I had planned, but in the end, it could make me even MORE money. I asked where he had gotten my number and he said "Angie's List". He said he was going to give me a good review.
Sweet.

Also, he wants hedges trimmed, continued leaf cleanups, and there are multiple tree limbs that need to be pruned back. Giving a discount can sometimes pay more in the long run.

I also made up my mind - no large leaf cleanups unless I can blow to the curb for streetside pickup. Bagging takes FOREVER, and my trailer isn't big enough to handle a lot of leaves.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 PM

willshome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post

I also made up my mind - no large leaf cleanups unless I can blow to the curb for streetside pickup. Bagging takes FOREVER, and my trailer isn't big enough to handle a lot of leaves.
Could you hire someone to do curb side pick up. I am adding that to my list of services
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshome View Post
Could you hire someone to do curb side pick up. I am adding that to my list of services
I dunno. Never considered that.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay enough to cover the added expense of paying someone else to suck them up. I guess it depends on who you are working for. Around here, I haven't found many who want to pay much for leaf cleanup.

Fortunately there are several municipalities around that do curbside pickup on certain days.

I screwed up last season and blew a customer's leaves to the curb. She called later to tell me they have to be removed or she will be fined. I misjudged her location - the area that has curbside pickup starts a few streets away.

Fortunately when I went back to bag them up, the borough truck that sucks up "excess" leaves form "problem areas" was going by and they offered to suck them up if I "bought them lunch".
DEAL!