Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Slow and steady we go


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM
nitalouise nitalouise is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 3
nitalouise is on a distinguished road
Default Slow and steady we go

Hi Everyone,

Slowly getting the business up and running, with a lot of education from this forum and many others. Our business is that of 2 people, husband and wife team, I being the wife and the business end of it. He has had 4 steady customers and many one time jobs for the past 2 years, all neighbors in our area, and word of mouth has brought quite a few 1 time handyman jobs. Him being a Carpenter by trade has really helped in that area also, but as you may know the Carpentry trade can get slow to almost nothing which has happend to him in the past year. So we decided if he can keep 4 fulltime customers for 2 years, why can't we get and keep more. That's when we decided to start calling this a business. We are slowly gathering information on things we need to learn, deciding a name and logo and so on. He does snow blowing so that's what the plan is for this winter, then in the Spring start a full-blown marketing campaigne after we aquire all the equiptment needed, a truck being one of them in order to break out of the surrounding area. Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther? Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience? Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either. Many questions, also, or if you can think of anything else we many need in the state of PA. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,511
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Welcome to our forum!

Quote:
Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther?
Can you scale up your marketing? Go through your social network and talk to people you know. Ask around and see if anyone needs any property care of maintenance. Hand out business cards to them and ask them to give an extra to someone they know.

Quote:
Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience?
There are many husband and wive teams on here and they tend to be successful. Their are many great points about doing it that way. One can play good guy while the other can play bad guy. It helps with collections and when bidding on work you are unsure of. Plus someone can answer the phones and respond quickly to small fires that tend to grow into big fires.

Quote:
Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either.
We have many members on here from PA. Depending on the services you offer, there may be a license requirement. I'd check online to find out for sure. Each township can differ on this issue so there is no way for knowing for sure unless you do a little digging.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes's Avatar
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes Caskey Lawns & Landscapes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gettysburg PA
Posts: 282
Rep Power: 3
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitalouise View Post
Hi Everyone,

Slowly getting the business up and running, with a lot of education from this forum and many others. Our business is that of 2 people, husband and wife team, I being the wife and the business end of it. He has had 4 steady customers and many one time jobs for the past 2 years, all neighbors in our area, and word of mouth has brought quite a few 1 time handyman jobs. Him being a Carpenter by trade has really helped in that area also, but as you may know the Carpentry trade can get slow to almost nothing which has happend to him in the past year. So we decided if he can keep 4 fulltime customers for 2 years, why can't we get and keep more. That's when we decided to start calling this a business. We are slowly gathering information on things we need to learn, deciding a name and logo and so on. He does snow blowing so that's what the plan is for this winter, then in the Spring start a full-blown marketing campaigne after we aquire all the equiptment needed, a truck being one of them in order to break out of the surrounding area. Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther? Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience? Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either. Many questions, also, or if you can think of anything else we many need in the state of PA. Thanks in advance.
Go to the PA open for business site it will tell yu all you need to know for PA..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the biz-slow start berryjam Introduce Yourself 13 09-17-2012 10:31 AM
Slow to introduce myself steven59937 Introduce Yourself 4 12-09-2011 10:57 PM
Things are Slow/Finding new things to do osbornl1 Starting a lawn care business. 10 06-26-2011 06:04 PM
Fast or slow? Steve General Talk 1 12-26-2006 02:09 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
raking leaves ?
robert8509
Yesterday 09:19 PM
Today 09:23 AM
by robert8509
4 98
hey everyone
robert8509
Yesterday 08:16 PM
Today 09:10 AM
by robert8509
2 72
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
Today 08:07 AM
Today 08:07 AM
by Chilehead
0 15
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:41 PM
Today 08:01 AM
by Chilehead
7 229
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
Today 07:32 AM
by Chilehead
11 323
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
Today 06:26 AM
by CDLAWNCARE
4 464
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Today 06:12 AM
by ringahding1
4 305
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
10-21-2014 06:20 AM
Today 05:13 AM
by ringahding1
5 206
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Yesterday 01:33 PM
by Steve
9 766
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Yesterday 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 386
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Yesterday 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 359
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
Yesterday 01:19 PM
by Steve
1 135
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Yesterday 08:51 AM
by ringahding1
12 1,498
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
Yesterday 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,314
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
10-21-2014 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 640
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-21-2014 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 486
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
10-21-2014 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,358
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
10-21-2014 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 244
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,793
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,301
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 214
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 285
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 727
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,183
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 466
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 310
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 649
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 949
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,312
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 678
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 340,180
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 396
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,495
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,508
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,592
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 537
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 695
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 533
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 882
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,518
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 841
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,656
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 1,070
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 974
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 618
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 605
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,147
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 3,021
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,661
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 860
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying billy goat brushcutter bush charge christmas deliquentaccounts exmark ferris foreman georgia gopherhaul grass gravely hills holiday how much to charge how to how to bid hydraulic john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business book lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lighting lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic mowing mulch mulch estimate new buisness new business ordinance podcast property management company push versus ride savannah scag scripts seo shreaded snow plowing starting a business starting a lawn care business stihl sulky theft toro tractor auger trailer mate pro walk behind walker wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy