Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!

Slow and steady we go


Introduce Yourself

Welcome all new forum members. Please introduce yourself and tell us about you. Tell us about your company. How did you get started? How long have you been in business? What do you do for fun? Don't be shy, say hello! It's fun and educational to interact on the forum!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM
nitalouise nitalouise is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 3
nitalouise is on a distinguished road
Default Slow and steady we go

Hi Everyone,

Slowly getting the business up and running, with a lot of education from this forum and many others. Our business is that of 2 people, husband and wife team, I being the wife and the business end of it. He has had 4 steady customers and many one time jobs for the past 2 years, all neighbors in our area, and word of mouth has brought quite a few 1 time handyman jobs. Him being a Carpenter by trade has really helped in that area also, but as you may know the Carpentry trade can get slow to almost nothing which has happend to him in the past year. So we decided if he can keep 4 fulltime customers for 2 years, why can't we get and keep more. That's when we decided to start calling this a business. We are slowly gathering information on things we need to learn, deciding a name and logo and so on. He does snow blowing so that's what the plan is for this winter, then in the Spring start a full-blown marketing campaigne after we aquire all the equiptment needed, a truck being one of them in order to break out of the surrounding area. Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther? Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience? Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either. Many questions, also, or if you can think of anything else we many need in the state of PA. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 37,122
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Welcome to our forum!

Quote:
Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther?
Can you scale up your marketing? Go through your social network and talk to people you know. Ask around and see if anyone needs any property care of maintenance. Hand out business cards to them and ask them to give an extra to someone they know.

Quote:
Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience?
There are many husband and wive teams on here and they tend to be successful. Their are many great points about doing it that way. One can play good guy while the other can play bad guy. It helps with collections and when bidding on work you are unsure of. Plus someone can answer the phones and respond quickly to small fires that tend to grow into big fires.

Quote:
Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either.
We have many members on here from PA. Depending on the services you offer, there may be a license requirement. I'd check online to find out for sure. Each township can differ on this issue so there is no way for knowing for sure unless you do a little digging.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes's Avatar
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes Caskey Lawns & Landscapes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gettysburg PA
Posts: 282
Rep Power: 4
Caskey Lawns & Landscapes is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitalouise View Post
Hi Everyone,

Slowly getting the business up and running, with a lot of education from this forum and many others. Our business is that of 2 people, husband and wife team, I being the wife and the business end of it. He has had 4 steady customers and many one time jobs for the past 2 years, all neighbors in our area, and word of mouth has brought quite a few 1 time handyman jobs. Him being a Carpenter by trade has really helped in that area also, but as you may know the Carpentry trade can get slow to almost nothing which has happend to him in the past year. So we decided if he can keep 4 fulltime customers for 2 years, why can't we get and keep more. That's when we decided to start calling this a business. We are slowly gathering information on things we need to learn, deciding a name and logo and so on. He does snow blowing so that's what the plan is for this winter, then in the Spring start a full-blown marketing campaigne after we aquire all the equiptment needed, a truck being one of them in order to break out of the surrounding area. Anyone out there have any suggestions for someone who has been dabbling in it and has decided to take it a few steps farther? Also, do you think people will be put off by a husband and wife team, I will be dealing a lot with the customers on the business end of it. Are they going to have an issue with that from your experience? Also, I can't seem to find any info as to weather Pennsylvania requires a Business Liscence to Operate in the state, some say yes some say no. Im not talking about a state tax number or federal tax number either. Many questions, also, or if you can think of anything else we many need in the state of PA. Thanks in advance.
Go to the PA open for business site it will tell yu all you need to know for PA..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the biz-slow start berryjam Introduce Yourself 13 09-17-2012 10:31 AM
Slow to introduce myself steven59937 Introduce Yourself 4 12-09-2011 10:57 PM
Things are Slow/Finding new things to do osbornl1 Starting a lawn care business. 10 06-26-2011 06:04 PM
Fast or slow? Steve General Talk 1 12-26-2006 02:09 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Finally got a warehouse
avetslawncare
03-12-2015 07:52 PM
Today 06:59 PM
by avetslawncare
10 481
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 07:15 PM
Today 02:15 PM
by Steve
27 2,344
Billing methods
jcurr33
Yesterday 01:33 PM
Today 02:11 PM
by Steve
3 97
introducing myself
chris2500hd
03-24-2015 11:16 AM
Today 02:02 PM
by Steve
8 203
Mower vs lot size advice
jcurr33
03-25-2015 09:29 PM
Today 02:00 PM
by Steve
3 135
hoa bid need help
bigdaveha12
03-24-2015 08:29 PM
Today 12:43 PM
by biglee
5 193
Commercial Jobs
CurbAppeal1
03-25-2015 04:22 PM
Today 12:29 PM
by biglee
5 161
Flag or no flag
Matther777
03-24-2015 02:41 PM
Today 12:25 PM
by biglee
10 315
I lost a long term...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-04-2011 02:24 PM
Yesterday 09:17 PM
by SGL1
14 3,386
Office Administration...
Girlfriend
Yesterday 05:40 PM
Yesterday 05:40 PM
by Girlfriend
0 58
Is this tree beyond help?
SGL1
03-22-2015 05:35 PM
03-25-2015 08:55 PM
by SGL1
14 470
Opinions on truck wrap
Trupro
02-28-2015 03:21 PM
03-25-2015 07:54 PM
by Trupro
33 1,523
How do you get...
ESREVER
03-25-2015 01:30 PM
03-25-2015 07:20 PM
by avetslawncare
6 156
Bid for large home...
lxarth
03-22-2015 11:06 AM
03-25-2015 03:44 PM
by jrs.landscaping
7 262
The New Wave!!!! Read...
Jamesw86
03-22-2015 08:33 PM
03-25-2015 02:50 PM
by Steve
10 288
grass in the gas tank
robkattankate
03-23-2015 04:37 PM
03-25-2015 02:36 PM
by Steve
5 171
Helping others
hansenslawncare
09-15-2011 08:50 PM
03-25-2015 02:33 PM
by Steve
11 2,646
DOT Number
acrajchel
03-20-2015 05:56 PM
03-25-2015 02:28 PM
by Steve
7 293
Michelin x tweel.
apmAkron
03-23-2015 04:22 PM
03-24-2015 12:40 PM
by Steve
3 125
Trepidation about...
michellemarvin
03-23-2015 07:46 PM
03-24-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
1 120
spike aerator???
Bradcook21
03-21-2015 01:55 PM
03-24-2015 10:32 AM
by acrajchel
4 200
Hello from Maryland
michellemarvin
03-23-2015 12:44 PM
03-23-2015 07:33 PM
by michellemarvin
2 121
hello from south GA.
CCandALawnCare
03-23-2015 03:46 AM
03-23-2015 07:06 PM
by CCandALawnCare
2 111
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
03-23-2015 06:14 PM
by jethro
1,218 379,962
Is anyone doing mosquito...
BWild
01-27-2015 11:30 AM
03-23-2015 12:28 PM
by Steve
9 825
35,000 Eddm
greenscaper123
03-18-2015 12:51 PM
03-23-2015 11:48 AM
by BLC7
18 459
Should i take on this...
christw
03-17-2013 01:23 PM
03-22-2015 09:02 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
36 7,552
mower stalls when...
boog
03-19-2015 08:20 AM
03-21-2015 08:13 PM
by Wolf4dk
7 254
Weed and Feed
robkattankate
03-19-2015 09:00 PM
03-21-2015 01:53 PM
by Bradcook21
4 294
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
03-20-2015 10:00 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
32 3,592
Hello Emily Reyes from...
Webster14829
03-20-2015 11:23 AM
03-20-2015 03:36 PM
by Steve
2 171
Finally going to give it...
jcurr33
03-12-2015 08:09 PM
03-20-2015 03:31 PM
by Steve
10 539
Weed id?
SGL1
03-17-2015 08:20 PM
03-20-2015 02:37 PM
by Steve
6 270
Mobile small engine...
luckylogger
03-15-2015 02:05 PM
03-20-2015 06:17 AM
by jrs.landscaping
15 465
Brad Cook 21
SC93
03-16-2015 10:40 PM
03-19-2015 09:04 PM
by Bradcook21
4 341
honest opinion please
uppercut
02-17-2015 01:30 AM
03-18-2015 02:55 PM
by Steve
15 1,298
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 04:07 PM
03-18-2015 02:49 PM
by Just for Cuts
21 2,019
new to the site
bigdaveha12
03-17-2015 09:13 PM
03-18-2015 02:33 PM
by Steve
1 199
Small dovetail truck...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-04-2015 06:47 PM
03-17-2015 10:14 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
17 852
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
03-17-2015 08:15 PM
by SGL1
3 274
mulch questions
Bradcook21
03-08-2015 08:37 AM
03-17-2015 07:00 PM
by Bradcook21
23 969
Scag hydro w/b frame...
Just for Cuts
03-11-2015 03:32 PM
03-17-2015 06:37 PM
by lxarth
11 490
Buy new or used?
lxarth
12-26-2014 09:50 PM
03-17-2015 06:11 PM
by lxarth
14 1,697
New to 2015
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 08:29 AM
03-17-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
4 282
Pulling trailer was...
SGL1
03-07-2015 07:14 PM
03-17-2015 08:11 AM
by SGL1
30 1,120
Diesel conversion?
Just for Cuts
03-02-2015 09:59 AM
03-16-2015 03:26 PM
by Just for Cuts
10 627
trimmer racks.
apmAkron
03-12-2015 09:07 AM
03-16-2015 03:17 PM
by Steve
4 347
Ferris FW35 questions
Chilehead
03-10-2015 08:31 PM
03-16-2015 03:11 PM
by Steve
4 348
new equipment
apmAkron
03-12-2015 09:12 AM
03-16-2015 03:07 PM
by Steve
7 360
When do you get the most...
CHEESE2009
09-14-2011 03:28 PM
03-16-2015 03:05 PM
by Steve
18 5,623
» Popular Tags
aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades bush collections deliquentaccounts design edging employee problems equipment rental ferris flyers foreman free advertising grass growing a lawn care business hills hiring husqvarna introduction john deere quik trac landscape landscape services landscaping training lawn lawn care lawn care business seo lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn mowing marketing marketing secrets mr dave mulch new business past due per hour charge per hour service pricing profit on employee pto push versus ride running a business secrets to landscaping sell the vision seo shell small engine repair square foot steep lawns sulky theft toro grand stand trailer tree trimmer rack truck new used landscape up sell employee walk behind web design website website design winterization won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy