Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Outdoor wood furnace


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default Outdoor wood furnace

I was wondering if any of you guys use an outdoor wood furnace to heat your home?


I currently have a boiler and hot water baseboard that runs off of heating oil, and man that **** is expensive.

An outdoor wood furnace would work great for heating my house and my hot water, and on top of it I could heat my garage without feeling bad about wasting excess money, hell I could even heat my pool!

Just wondering if anyone uses one, if you like it or not or could recommend any brands to me.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
i looked into them and loved the idea especially when i get all the premium firewood i could want for free.

the problem i have had is here in my state NJ the towns are in a all out campaign against them and have passed ordinances prohibiting them.

i am certain that is not the case elsewhere and probably pertains to my home state that we appropriately call "New Germany" and i was very disappointed that i was not allowed to use one.

i have done a lot of research on them and the BTU's that they put out is enormous and you can get units that have enough output that you can heat your house, garage, swimming pool and driveway at once with one single unit.

they are very efficient as well as you can hook up a secondary fuel to them where if you ran them out of wood or could not get out to it to reload it, it will switch over to keep the heat flowing.

they also get more time out of each load then traditional means of burning wood and overall are not much more then a furnace for your home.

i would say if you can use one where you live to go for it and as i said if i was not prevented from using one i would have had one years ago.
my buddy has one and he says it is the best thing he has ever done in regards to heating his home and when i visited him in january his home was so hot he had to open windows to cool it down.

i thought that was pretty funny because anyone who uses oil or gas would not be in that kind of position without putting themselves in the poor house not to mention that when you are paying for the fuel you have a tendency to keep the heat on the low side rather then the high side.

good luck with that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i looked into them and loved the idea especially when i get all the premium firewood i could want for free.

the problem i have had is here in my state NJ the towns are in a all out campaign against them and have passed ordinances prohibiting them.

i am certain that is not the case elsewhere and probably pertains to my home state that we appropriately call "New Germany" and i was very disappointed that i was not allowed to use one.

i have done a lot of research on them and the BTU's that they put out is enormous and you can get units that have enough output that you can heat your house, garage, swimming pool and driveway at once with one single unit.

they are very efficient as well as you can hook up a secondary fuel to them where if you ran them out of wood or could not get out to it to reload it, it will switch over to keep the heat flowing.

they also get more time out of each load then traditional means of burning wood and overall are not much more then a furnace for your home.

i would say if you can use one where you live to go for it and as i said if i was not prevented from using one i would have had one years ago.
my buddy has one and he says it is the best thing he has ever done in regards to heating his home and when i visited him in january his home was so hot he had to open windows to cool it down.

i thought that was pretty funny because anyone who uses oil or gas would not be in that kind of position without putting themselves in the poor house not to mention that when you are paying for the fuel you have a tendency to keep the heat on the low side rather then the high side.

good luck with that.
There was an ordinance in my township that it had to be 200' of every boundary line, but that changed in january when some old people were elected out. Now there is no laws against them.

I know exactly what you mean, when I am not home I keep the temperature as low as I can, and when I'm home I keep it just warm enough that I don't freeze, but I would love to just walk into a nice warm cozy house once.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 PM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,224
Rep Power: 6
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

Now realize I am talking about a small 1 bedroom, 1 bath, open kitchen living room house. About 800 SF. This was a friends house when I lived in Fairbanks AK. He had a wood buring stove, one that you can get right now, he would stoke it at night, and the place was HOT. when he got up in the morning throw a couple of logs on, open the damper some, and make his coffee right on top. He would also use the thing for making his breakfast. He used about a cord of wood every two or three weeks, and beleive me when I tell you it was far from 'warm enogh to keep from freezeing'. Now of course the insulations was great, so keeping it warm when it was around 50 below was not real hard.

Properly operating wood stoves cost less and are more effectiant than coal or fuel oil.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef1201 View Post
Now realize I am talking about a small 1 bedroom, 1 bath, open kitchen living room house. About 800 SF. This was a friends house when I lived in Fairbanks AK. He had a wood buring stove, one that you can get right now, he would stoke it at night, and the place was HOT. when he got up in the morning throw a couple of logs on, open the damper some, and make his coffee right on top. He would also use the thing for making his breakfast. He used about a cord of wood every two or three weeks, and beleive me when I tell you it was far from 'warm enogh to keep from freezeing'. Now of course the insulations was great, so keeping it warm when it was around 50 below was not real hard.

Properly operating wood stoves cost less and are more effectiant than coal or fuel oil.
I know a couple people around here that have outdoor furnaces and love them.

They said during our typical winter they only use 3-4 cords of wood a winter.

Around here even if I bought the wood, that is only $50-100 a cord, much cheaper than the $1600 I paid to heat my house last winter.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x View Post
I know a couple people around here that have outdoor furnaces and love them.

They said during our typical winter they only use 3-4 cords of wood a winter.

Around here even if I bought the wood, that is only $50-100 a cord, much cheaper than the $1600 I paid to heat my house last winter.

plus don't forget the fire is not in your house and neither is the smoke and ashes.
the outdoor furnaces give you the best of both worlds in having a home feel like a traditional heating system without all the muss and fuss of the stove being in your house.

plus the outdoor furnaces can get up to 36 hours out of each load so you don't have to deal with stoking the fire throughout the day.

my friends that have wood stoves homes smell like smoke and that gets old after a while as well as it can cause issues with breathing over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,688
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

There had been a couple of members in the past that used them. One I think was using wood pellets as the fuel source so he could have it automatically feed the fire as needed.

Another I think just used wood and the outdoor heater was set a way back from his home.
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wood Chipper Shark1611 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 6 09-18-2013 05:35 PM
Wood Cutting & Splitting Attachment SECTLANDSCAPING Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 6 01-16-2012 03:02 PM
Wood Restoration The Cleaning Doctor General Talk 3 05-23-2010 08:04 PM
wood signs makbootzy Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 9 04-01-2008 12:55 PM
Fire Wood Signs AMW Graphics Truck & Trailer Sign Design, silk screened apparel & uniform discussion 1 11-29-2007 02:58 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Repair or replace the...
lxarth
12-17-2014 05:07 PM
Today 12:02 PM
by SuperiorPower
11 345
Stander Vs. Zt
totalscape
12-20-2014 07:57 PM
Today 05:42 AM
by Billy Goat
6 158
Complete body therapy...
zermin
Yesterday 11:51 PM
Yesterday 11:51 PM
by zermin
0 30
Facebook
element009
03-23-2011 09:36 AM
Yesterday 04:33 PM
by stevef1201
38 9,934
Ideas on a large bid
Knaubone
Yesterday 11:57 AM
Yesterday 11:57 AM
by Knaubone
0 64
what do you "love" to...
calebmoss
07-06-2011 10:05 PM
Yesterday 12:52 AM
by rmccutchan
31 9,086
I'm BACK!
SuperiorPower
12-16-2014 11:08 PM
12-20-2014 11:33 PM
by SuperiorPower
7 281
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 10:12 AM
12-19-2014 09:45 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
189 16,819
Georgia Boys!
Chilehead
12-18-2014 10:23 PM
12-19-2014 09:36 PM
by Chilehead
2 140
Employee job training...
brookline
12-15-2014 08:15 PM
12-19-2014 07:48 PM
by SuperiorPower
9 390
Hello from Md
homey
12-17-2014 06:55 PM
12-19-2014 06:00 PM
by homey
5 228
Has Obamacare helped or...
Steve
12-18-2014 04:37 PM
12-19-2014 05:43 PM
by stevef1201
3 163
What Fertilizer to Use?
acrajchel
04-07-2014 02:56 PM
12-17-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
23 3,040
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 09:51 AM
12-17-2014 09:40 AM
by SuperiorPower
34 6,196
Peco Bagger
AGPS
11-18-2014 02:20 PM
12-17-2014 09:13 AM
by SuperiorPower
15 1,405
New to Gopher Haul-from...
323k13l
12-12-2014 10:34 PM
12-15-2014 02:58 PM
by Steve
3 353
hi
creteland
12-12-2014 09:06 AM
12-15-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
5 343
New addition to my small...
googus
12-12-2014 07:36 PM
12-15-2014 07:47 AM
by googus
4 418
Ferris IS700Z
rmccutchan
12-14-2014 01:10 AM
12-14-2014 11:41 PM
by rmccutchan
4 317
Charge what the market...
Billy Goat
12-09-2014 12:39 PM
12-14-2014 06:39 PM
by biglee
20 868
Hi from IL
steveinil
11-25-2014 02:07 PM
12-12-2014 07:18 AM
by steveinil
4 860
Utility Company Right of...
eastsidelandcare
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
12-11-2014 04:54 PM
by eastsidelandcare
0 330
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 05:24 PM
12-11-2014 04:50 PM
by eastsidelandcare
33 4,173
suggestions on full lawn...
Brian3137
12-10-2014 07:18 PM
12-11-2014 03:41 PM
by Steve
6 446
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 11:20 PM
12-11-2014 09:43 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
18 3,453
Hello from SW FL!!
5StarLawnscaping
12-05-2014 02:35 PM
12-10-2014 02:45 PM
by WesleySnips
7 689
Echo pb200 blower fuel...
googus
12-06-2014 09:03 PM
12-09-2014 06:35 PM
by Steve
3 543
Are you prepared for the...
Steve
12-02-2014 04:13 PM
12-09-2014 06:22 PM
by Steve
7 957
Email Address Name
Just Cuts
12-07-2014 09:49 PM
12-08-2014 03:15 PM
by Steve
3 488
Inspection form
stevef1201
12-07-2014 10:38 AM
12-08-2014 03:10 PM
by Steve
1 478
Truck, Trailer,...
hawthornelawncare
12-23-2011 01:01 AM
12-08-2014 12:37 PM
by jrs.landscaping
108 34,321
Back Pack Blower
Ian Lovejoy
11-09-2014 08:41 AM
12-07-2014 06:35 PM
by stevef1201
24 1,789
Innovation by mandate
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 01:33 PM
12-06-2014 03:27 PM
by SGL1
12 1,033
Trying something new,...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 10:07 PM
12-05-2014 11:06 AM
by Steve
9 2,323
Good help is hard to find
Hanks Lawn Care Services
11-19-2014 03:27 PM
12-04-2014 01:32 PM
by stevef1201
15 1,510
How many hours is too...
Just Cuts
12-04-2014 09:00 AM
12-04-2014 01:02 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 674
Does this sound like a...
googus
12-03-2014 07:47 AM
12-04-2014 12:37 PM
by Steve
5 746
New website
Chilehead
11-20-2014 04:39 PM
12-04-2014 12:27 PM
by Steve
14 1,284
New website
SGL1
12-02-2014 10:55 PM
12-03-2014 11:17 PM
by BLC7
19 918
Websites, how long...
Dan Tanner
03-09-2014 08:29 AM
12-03-2014 11:12 PM
by SGL1
21 3,310
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 11:04 PM
12-03-2014 10:36 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
8 1,925
GPS trackers for...
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:09 PM
12-03-2014 07:17 PM
by Steve
8 774
My site is on fronts page
tbtigers03
11-14-2014 05:58 PM
12-03-2014 06:31 PM
by SGL1
17 1,517
Hiring Subs over Temps
Billy Goat
12-02-2014 06:26 AM
12-03-2014 01:24 PM
by Steve
3 687
Thanksgiving cards
Steve
11-10-2008 11:57 AM
12-02-2014 11:11 PM
by SGL1
11 9,579
New parking area
ExtremeLawncareServices
11-07-2014 09:47 PM
12-02-2014 02:17 PM
by jrs.landscaping
12 1,544
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 07:13 PM
12-02-2014 08:47 AM
by SGL1
6 1,563
old contracts
bayoubandit
11-29-2014 11:10 AM
12-01-2014 11:20 AM
by Steve
3 755
Hi to you NOTHERNERS
stevef1201
11-11-2014 05:56 PM
12-01-2014 10:54 AM
by Steve
9 1,333
Lawn care truck
Steve
10-10-2009 03:40 AM
12-01-2014 10:45 AM
by Steve
32 15,250
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment complex auger bark billy goat brushcutter blades bush care charge christmas collections edging employee problems equipment rental estimate foreman four wheel drive georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business hills holiday husqvarna jobs john deere quik trac labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website lighting lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mowing mr dave mulch mulch estimate new buisness new business new mower ordinance past due per hour service podcast profit on employee pto push versus ride running a business savannah search engine optimization seo shreaded small engine repair sprayer starting a business steep lawns theft toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack wood
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy