Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Business > General Business Discussions

General Business Discussions A place to talk about general business discussions.

Where my customers @?


General Business Discussions

A place to talk about general business discussions.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Columbianalawns Columbianalawns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 3
Columbianalawns is on a distinguished road
Default Where my customers @?

So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Chaz Chaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 179
Rep Power: 3
Chaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbianalawns View Post
So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?
if you want work you gotta find it, talk to your current clients see if they are interested in anything soon, tell them you are looking for work and if they know anyone who needs some landscaping to pass your name.

otherwise do a little bit of advertising
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

20 is not bad at all for your first year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 AM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok"




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,496
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Are you getting referrals? Are you asking for them from your current customers? Are you marketing to the neighbors of your current customers?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

If I had 20 clients right now I would be very very happy.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012, 05:19 PM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,145
Rep Power: 6
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

NEVER STOP ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fall is comming- advertise fall cleanup
Spring is comming advertise lawn maintenance fertilizing spring clean up plant installaiton

etc etc etc

NEVER stop advertising.

Current customers, look for new customers There are thousands of people who are tired of the current company, or the guy quit, or they want something that the current guy does not do.

That is thousands in your area not nation wide.

You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef1201 View Post
You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you
You think I'm some kind of wh0re or something?

lolololol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Chaz Chaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 179
Rep Power: 3
Chaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 View Post
20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok"




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?
I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 AM
jymie's Avatar
jymie jymie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hamburg New York
Posts: 905
Rep Power: 7
jymie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?
I'm sorry but you will need to get another service, I must down size my area of service.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Customers... doug1980 General Talk 11 06-17-2009 09:35 AM
Converting Seasonal Customers to Annual Customers Greenmind Starting a lawn care business. 4 03-07-2008 12:28 AM
How NOT to get customers Steve Lawn Care Marketing & Post your marketing material for review! 0 11-28-2007 12:09 AM
Customers gene gls Gopher Software Support Archived Question & Answers - Read Only 1 03-20-2006 06:22 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
Today 05:00 PM
by stevef1201
5 253
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
Yesterday 09:50 PM
Today 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 77
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 04:32 PM
by Steve
145 10,984
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
Today 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 164
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
Today 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 586
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
Today 03:11 PM
by Mr. Mow
20 444
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Today 02:22 PM
by Steve
1 200
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
Today 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,036
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
Today 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 337
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
Today 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 181
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
Today 02:07 PM
by Steve
3 1,157
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
Today 06:33 AM
Today 11:20 AM
by stevef1201
3 71
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
Today 06:40 AM
by Mr. Mow
7 1,602
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Yesterday 11:36 PM
by SGL1
2 202
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Yesterday 11:27 PM
by SGL1
2 162
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
Yesterday 11:24 PM
Yesterday 11:24 PM
by SGL1
0 62
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 525
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 830
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,177
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 566
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 339,829
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-15-2014 02:57 PM
by Steve
2 309
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 283
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,371
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,390
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,465
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 411
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 576
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 416
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 764
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,390
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 732
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,532
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 952
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 855
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 512
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 499
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,025
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 2,881
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,530
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 742
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 02:45 PM
10-07-2014 04:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 716
Good Mower
jack2048
10-04-2014 05:34 PM
10-07-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
7 805
Mulching fad killing...
Tree geek
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
by Tree geek
0 622
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-06-2014 02:53 PM
by Steve
11 1,348
Update on LawnsAway and...
Ian Lovejoy
09-28-2014 10:24 AM
10-06-2014 01:30 PM
by Steve
4 1,217
A GREAT Story
stevef1201
10-02-2014 10:33 AM
10-06-2014 12:50 PM
by Steve
6 1,023
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-03-2014 07:26 PM
by kslawn
6 1,166
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
10-03-2014 07:12 PM
by kslawn
27 2,127
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
10-03-2014 03:37 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
14 2,697
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment complex article marketing bark bid blades bob villa charge collections collections subcontractor commercial decorating demonstration ditches edging employee problems estimate exmark ferris first truck gopherhaul gravely growing a lawn care business hardscapes honda how much to charge installation introduction landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care business lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care website marketing monthly mr dave mulch mulch price new mower past due patio install podcast promotion redmax reo running a business scag scag v-ride search engine optimization seo shell small engine repair snow starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns steve stihl theft of services toro tree trimmer rack truck new used landscape turfgrass consulting walker won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy