Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job
If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.

apartment complex


Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job

If you need help coming up with a bid for a lawn care, landscaping, tree cutting or irrigation job, post the specifics here and pictures of the job site. If you are looking to learn about bidding, review the jobs posted here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default apartment complex

Tomorrow I'm turning in a bid for this property for the 2013 season. The bid is for 4 different services and each is a separate bid. The landscaping has a breakdown in it. For the guys that never seen a commercial bid like this take a look. Every company does it differently but some things are always the same.

Youll see when you start bidding jobs like this your bidding formula goes out the window. I mean you can try to bid edging at a $1 a ft but are you really going to charge someone $16k for the year for it? The same goes with gutters. I normally would charge about $3 a ft for a 3 story building but how do justify a $9k gutter cleaning? You have to break it all down in man hours.
I did all the hard work in measuring. I just want to get some feedback before I submit this. The 2 things that are a pita is the edging and clearing the sidewalks of snow.

I'm hoping to land the mowing and pressure washing. The gutter cleaning would be good too. I really dont want to deal with clearing snow from all those walks. If I do it will be with 4x4 quad that I dont have or if they let me leave the kubota on site. Theres no way I'm trailering a 3 ton tractor in snow.


Spring Clean Up $____
Mowing and Trimming Every 5-7 days $____ 3.6 acres surrounding a dozen buildings.
Edging walks, beds, and trees per time $___ 4 x's a year 4800 liner ft.
Fall Clean Up $
Trimming & Pruning $
Flowers Spring / Fall by office and sign $____
Hand Weeding $_____ 2 x's a year
Mulching $_____ 6" Depth ( 2200 sq ft)

The next bid is for gutter cleaning. Theres 3180 liner feet of gutters. The buildings are ' tall. $_____

Then we have pressure washing. Theres 12 buildings, all are 3 stories, 11340 sq ft each, 136080 total. $_____

The final piece is snow removal. The parking lot isnt that big at only 2.8 acres but there divided into 12 smaller lots. The real killer is the sidewalks theres 4800' of walks at 5' wide. $____

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CBkQ8gEwAA
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Tomorrow I'm turning in a bid for this property for the 2013 season. The bid is for 4 different services and each is a separate bid. The landscaping has a breakdown in it. For the guys that never seen a commercial bid like this take a look. Every company does it differently but some things are always the same.

Youll see when you start bidding jobs like this your bidding formula goes out the window. I mean you can try to bid edging at a $1 a ft but are you really going to charge someone $16k for the year for it? The same goes with gutters. I normally would charge about $3 a ft for a 3 story building but how do justify a $9k gutter cleaning? You have to break it all down in man hours.
I did all the hard work in measuring. I just want to get some feedback before I submit this. The 2 things that are a pita is the edging and clearing the sidewalks of snow.

I'm hoping to land the mowing and pressure washing. The gutter cleaning would be good too. I really dont want to deal with clearing snow from all those walks. If I do it will be with 4x4 quad that I dont have or if they let me leave the kubota on site. Theres no way I'm trailering a 3 ton tractor in snow.


Spring Clean Up $____
Mowing and Trimming Every 5-7 days $____ 3.6 acres surrounding a dozen buildings.
Edging walks, beds, and trees per time $___ 4 x's a year 4800 liner ft.
Fall Clean Up $
Trimming & Pruning $
Flowers Spring / Fall by office and sign $____
Hand Weeding $_____ 2 x's a year
Mulching $_____ 6" Depth ( 2200 sq ft)

The next bid is for gutter cleaning. Theres 3180 liner feet of gutters. The buildings are ' tall. $_____

Then we have pressure washing. Theres 12 buildings, all are 3 stories, 11340 sq ft each, 136080 total. $_____

The final piece is snow removal. The parking lot isnt that big at only 2.8 acres but there divided into 12 smaller lots. The real killer is the sidewalks theres 4800' of walks at 5' wide. $____

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CBkQ8gEwAA
How do you go about the whole commercial bid process?

I thought about maybe submitting a few commercial bids for smaller places, but I don't even know who to contact to find the information out.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x View Post
How do you go about the whole commercial bid process?

I thought about maybe submitting a few commercial bids for smaller places, but I don't even know who to contact to find the information out.
Theyll find you. I dont know who these people are till they call. This the 4th commercial property I bid this week. The office of the property management company that called me today about 2 hotels is about 50 miles away. I would never think people that far away would be managing buildings in my area.

Get your name out there is step one. Step two would be have the equipment for when they do call. Step three would be pay me for more info.

You could try asking at the business your interested in but that might come off as desperate. I dont think these type of people like unsolicited bids. They usually target the 4 or 5 biggest companies.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2012, 05:56 AM
xandrew245x xandrew245x is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 648
Rep Power: 3
xandrew245x is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Theyll find you. I dont know who these people are till they call. This the 4th commercial property I bid this week. The office of the property management company that called me today about 2 hotels is about 50 miles away. I would never think people that far away would be managing buildings in my area.

Get your name out there is step one. Step two would be have the equipment for when they do call. Step three would be pay me for more info.

You could try asking at the business your interested in but that might come off as desperate. I dont think these type of people like unsolicited bids. They usually target the 4 or 5 biggest companies.
I thought you could contact them and then be put on their bid list. Then when the time came around you just submit a bid, and they pick who they want.
__________________

Carlisle Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,222
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

How many man hours are you estimating each service to take you?
  • Spring Clean Up
    How many many hours for this?
  • Mowing and Trimming Every 5-7 days, 3.6 acres surrounding a dozen buildings.
    How many many hours for this?
  • Edging walks, beds, and trees per time. 4 x's a year 4800 liner ft.
    How many many hours for this?
  • Fall Clean Up
    How many many hours for this?
  • Trimming & Pruning
    How many many hours for this?
  • Flowers Spring / Fall by office and sign
    How many many hours for this?
  • Hand Weeding. 2 x's a year
    How many many hours for this?
  • Mulching 6" Depth ( 2200 sq ft)
    How many many hours for this?
  • The next bid is for gutter cleaning. Theres 3180 liner feet of gutters. The buildings are ' tall.
    How many man hours and how high up are these gutters?
  • Then we have pressure washing. Theres 12 buildings, all are 3 stories, 11340 sq ft each, 136080 total.
    How many many hours for this?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

I got a call today saying my snow removal bid was extremely low. I bid it at $26,500. I was 1 for 8 on snow bids so I dropped $4k off the bid. Now that I'm reran the numbers I'm at $33,600. I still think that might be a bit low.

There was only 3 snow events last winter but we should get 8-10 this year.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,222
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Did you hear anything about how the lawn care bid went? Is that tied in with the snow removal bid?
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Did you hear anything about how the lawn care bid went? Is that tied in with the snow removal bid?
I shouldve asked but didnt. The 4 bids were all separate, so there not really tied together.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 36,222
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Spring Clean Up $____
Mowing and Trimming Every 5-7 days $____ 3.6 acres surrounding a dozen buildings.
Edging walks, beds, and trees per time $___ 4 x's a year 4800 liner ft.
Fall Clean Up $
Trimming & Pruning $
Flowers Spring / Fall by office and sign $____
Hand Weeding $_____ 2 x's a year
Mulching $_____ 6" Depth ( 2200 sq ft)

The next bid is for gutter cleaning. Theres 3180 liner feet of gutters. The buildings are ' tall. $_____

Then we have pressure washing. Theres 12 buildings, all are 3 stories, 11340 sq ft each, 136080 total. $_____
What did you finally go with for them?

I hope you get it!
__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What did you finally go with for them?

I hope you get it!
Around $60,000 total. I really would like all the contracts for this one but the snow plowing is going to require a 10,000 investment. I dont want to rely on subs again they screwed me in the past.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apartment complex bid MAKLawnCutter Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 16 05-26-2011 06:13 AM
Apartment Complex Totables Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 4 11-13-2009 09:39 AM
apartment complex MacTrina Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 6 10-31-2008 07:17 AM
bid on my first apartment complex pbielby Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 5 02-06-2008 12:12 PM
apartment complex landonkade Show Off - Picture Post - Photo Gallery 18 10-10-2007 10:27 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
Yesterday 11:47 PM
Today 01:05 AM
by stevef1201
1 10
Easy money
stevef1201
11-14-2013 10:17 AM
Today 01:03 AM
by stevef1201
3 1,211
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
Today 01:02 AM
Today 01:02 AM
by CleanCutsLLC
0 1
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Today 12:44 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
89 4,976
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
Yesterday 11:42 PM
by TNTurf
1,186 322,864
Stuck again!!!!
Greg'slawnandlandscape
Yesterday 11:02 PM
Yesterday 11:02 PM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
0 20
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
Yesterday 03:31 PM
Yesterday 10:50 PM
by Shady Grady
3 58
trimming back shrubs
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:14 AM
Yesterday 05:36 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 114
Echo Edger 'Neutral'
WesleySnips
07-25-2014 05:28 PM
Yesterday 01:50 PM
by stevef1201
7 241
Pressure Washing...
WesleySnips
07-31-2014 06:13 PM
Yesterday 01:47 PM
by stevef1201
2 65
Buy a good company at a...
Steve
03-12-2011 06:38 AM
Yesterday 01:44 PM
by Steve
2 1,697
Building credit
Matther777
07-27-2014 05:20 PM
Yesterday 10:29 AM
by Greg'slawnandlandscape
13 322
Employee wont return...
Prolawnofchatt
06-13-2014 03:12 PM
07-31-2014 09:59 PM
by WesleySnips
5 572
Mow and leaf cleanup bid
SGL1
07-29-2014 07:28 PM
07-31-2014 07:14 PM
by SGL1
23 356
Late charge
Simon Abousaada
07-30-2014 07:23 PM
07-31-2014 12:41 PM
by Steve
2 102
Need input on a bid
phlawncare
07-28-2014 08:51 PM
07-31-2014 05:08 AM
by kslawn
7 229
New from Texas
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:17 AM
07-30-2014 01:03 PM
by Steve
5 234
Single tree, mow customer
WesleySnips
06-27-2014 10:12 AM
07-30-2014 12:31 PM
by Steve
17 764
Formulas Used
BaileynSamsMum
07-29-2014 06:40 AM
07-30-2014 12:19 PM
by Steve
3 172
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
07-30-2014 06:29 AM
by kslawn
5 205
Will summer ever come
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-29-2014 08:27 AM
07-29-2014 08:29 PM
by SGL1
5 157
From Concord NC
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:34 PM
07-29-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
3 166
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
07-29-2014 02:28 PM
by Steve
4 222
Left handed edging with...
SGL1
07-23-2014 08:59 PM
07-28-2014 07:39 AM
by SGL1
15 409
Echo PE 266 edger
stevef1201
07-01-2014 01:28 PM
07-27-2014 10:14 PM
by WesleySnips
5 408
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
07-27-2014 08:16 AM
by Just for Cuts
7 247
need some help geting...
dalvan0
07-13-2014 09:28 PM
07-26-2014 04:39 PM
by BLC7
7 395
new trailer help
mattthelawnguy
07-11-2014 08:21 PM
07-25-2014 06:31 PM
by mattthelawnguy
13 601
You know it;s gonna be a...
stevef1201
07-25-2014 08:50 AM
07-25-2014 01:34 PM
by Steve
1 157
Customer letters
kslawn
07-23-2014 06:17 AM
07-25-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
5 291
Got my first lawn job...
SGL1
06-11-2014 09:19 PM
07-24-2014 07:09 PM
by SGL1
29 1,389
Need help determining...
Jbss861
07-20-2014 02:33 PM
07-24-2014 01:11 PM
by Steve
13 477
Should I ?
googus
07-22-2014 04:06 PM
07-24-2014 12:10 PM
by Steve
4 310
My First Apartment...
SSLCtn
05-26-2014 10:17 PM
07-24-2014 06:46 AM
by kslawn
15 1,002
Crop Rotation Techniques...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:47 PM
07-24-2014 06:38 AM
by kslawn
3 284
Selling lawns like...
eastsidelandcare
07-17-2014 03:51 PM
07-24-2014 06:28 AM
by kslawn
3 346
Scag new "Eliminator"......
ExtremeLawncareServices
07-20-2014 10:45 AM
07-23-2014 05:37 PM
by Just for Cuts
9 411
need professional advice...
Fiddlers_green
07-20-2014 07:21 PM
07-23-2014 12:42 PM
by Steve
3 290
new to me box truck
jrayb39667
03-06-2014 10:20 PM
07-23-2014 12:40 PM
by Steve
15 1,531
Lawn Service back in...
LawnCareMan280
07-18-2014 09:00 PM
07-23-2014 11:48 AM
by Steve
4 323
Overspray?
stevef1201
07-21-2014 04:20 PM
07-23-2014 11:39 AM
by Steve
3 226
Hello Everyone! Newbie...
SLKlawn
07-17-2014 06:22 PM
07-22-2014 01:53 PM
by Steve
6 370
Proper height for lawn
rob lederhilger
05-26-2014 08:01 AM
07-21-2014 02:53 PM
by LawnDoctor
9 736
Blade sharpener
Just for Cuts
07-04-2014 12:31 PM
07-21-2014 01:48 PM
by Steve
9 604
What's my business worth?
Chaz
07-16-2014 01:35 PM
07-21-2014 01:45 PM
by Steve
4 382
1.5 Acre Jungle
WesleySnips
07-15-2014 05:57 PM
07-20-2014 11:31 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
21 730
Gopher schedule software
Ray
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
07-18-2014 04:13 PM
by Ray
0 280
2006 Chevy fuel pump...
KevinsLawns
07-17-2014 08:39 PM
07-18-2014 11:51 AM
by Steve
1 260
Halfway point of year!
Steve
07-01-2014 12:08 PM
07-18-2014 11:38 AM
by Steve
14 837
I got told to leave and...
gwilson98
06-16-2014 02:07 PM
07-17-2014 11:43 AM
by Steve
16 1,160
» Popular Tags
2wd 34'' ads apartment complex blades charge christmas christmas light hanging credit card customers ditches employee problems exmark fall ferris financing franchise georgia gopherhaul grass gravely growing a lawn care business health holiday how much to charge installation invoice kansas city late lawn lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lesco lighting brass outdoor lights marketing mechanic mowing mulch price new and restored landscapes new buisness new business podcast promotion riding mower running a business savannah scag seo social media starting a business steep lawns stihl sulky theft of services top dresser toro tree care trimmer rack truck new used landscape upsell walk behind walker winter services won't return
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy