Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > General Talk

General Talk If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.

Smoking


General Talk

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, post it here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 AM
ringahding1's Avatar
ringahding1 ringahding1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 294
Rep Power: 5
ringahding1 is on a distinguished road
Default

No smoking while working on YOUR properties......PERIOD...I am a heavy smoker and I wait until the job is complete...

Make it a RULE..it is your company after all
__________________
08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer
18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
2012 - S185 Bobcat


Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
veteranslawncaresystems veteranslawncaresystems is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: granite city illinois
Posts: 59
Rep Power: 3
veteranslawncaresystems is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
i dont allow smoking while working, but what is your customer smoked would that change your opion in smoking while working or talking with the customer
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veteranslawncaresystems View Post
i dont allow smoking while working, but what is your customer smoked would that change your opion in smoking while working or talking with the customer

Not in my opinion it wouldn't. I don't mind a customer smoking in front as we talk but what would bother me is, if a neighbor saw us talking and me or my guys were smoking too, that might be a red flag to a not want me to mow there yard. Business is business! First impressions are a big deal to alot of people. Your always being watched, no matter if you think you are or not while out on a property. I know something like smoking isn't a big deal to some but, to others it can be a huge deal, you have to make sure you are always coming off as professional and I think smoking on someones property looks bad for business.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

Well if Santa can do it...

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

I dip, I have one employee who smokes and I do not allow him to smoke at a job site. I also do not allow smoking in the truck as I do not want my truck to smell worse then it does after a long day of mowing anyway haha. on a serious note though When im dipping i can present my self as if im doing nothing out of the ordinary which helps, I still try not to chew while on a job site thouhg mostly cuz ill end up spitting on my self at some piont and thats nasty
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
JeffK26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You always have to think about who is watching.

You have one customer that smokes, so it's ok to smoke around him/her. 3 neighbors see you smoking on that neighbors lot. That deters them from hiring you.
sure, you do a great job, sure every line is straight, sure ever edge is straight, sure everything looks like a MLB park...everything is always perfect............except, smoking............... "hey i have a customer that doesn't care if I smoke all day at his property. You just lost 1-3 customers that do not want that no matter how the end result is.

Some don't mind, some do....., but there are people that will not hire you if you smoke, no matter what type of work you do............but no one will NOT hire you because you do NOT smoke.

It may suck, it may not...but the bottom line is always this...........the customer is paying you money to perform a service they can do themselves or hire someone else to do. Why hurt your chances over a freakin stupid thing like a freakin cigarette?

The customer is not always right, but they are right if they don't want a smoker on their property. It is their property after all.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK26 View Post
You always have to think about who is watching.

You have one customer that smokes, so it's ok to smoke around him/her. 3 neighbors see you smoking on that neighbors lot. That deters them from hiring you.
sure, you do a great job, sure every line is straight, sure ever edge is straight, sure everything looks like a MLB park...everything is always perfect............except, smoking............... "hey i have a customer that doesn't care if I smoke all day at his property. You just lost 1-3 customers that do not want that no matter how the end result is.

Some don't mind, some do....., but there are people that will not hire you if you smoke, no matter what type of work you do............but no one will NOT hire you because you do NOT smoke.

It may suck, it may not...but the bottom line is always this...........the customer is paying you money to perform a service they can do themselves or hire someone else to do. Why hurt your chances over a freakin stupid thing like a freakin cigarette?

The customer is not always right, but they are right if they don't want a smoker on their property. It is their property after all.
Couldn't have said it better. My thoughts exactly!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Grass Doctor Grass Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 407
Rep Power: 3
Grass Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default i only smoke not drink

how about this i smoke menthol's love the smoke coming out of my mouth i smoke in my truck in the job where ever i feel like lighting up one. if a customer approach me which is very common i just say excuse me ligth off the cigarette and putted on my pocket, this dont bother me at all i understand personal relationship it part of my business, so back to this smoking subject i have had lets say 3 to 4 of my customer inviting inside there homes to get an appraisal they want to sit down and their comfort zone so to the customer want he wants i dont go to McDonald and let them serve me whatever they want i am detailed when it comes to me spending my money so i ask for what i want. i do what i want that please me with it. so they star talking about the job and light up a cigarette ask me if it was okey for them to smoke what should said its your house u can do what ever u want with it right they ask me if i smoke i said yes they offer me one i said no thanks i said i smoke menthol they said u can smoke if u want to sure, again customer service its my first priority, for me customers don't really care if u smoke or not they will probably care more on the way u are dress, i wear polo shirts (under armor) short's, boots or golf tennis shoes i dont have any type of piercing i had ear piercing but i took them off after i got my very first call for business never put them back. more than smoking i will say what affects you its ur personallythe way you talk i have customers that even buy pizzas for me and my crew every day serving us cafe and donuts in the morning before we star working, when i do 3 or more days landscape jobs there is no way i am going to stay whit out smoking for 3 days have that make me look bad not at all they have call me back and refer me to their friends all they care about quality. i HAVE SMOKE INSIDE CUSTOMERS HOUSES they have never ask me for a discount and yes i got the jobs and make good money. oh by the way this customers live in gated community's in houses of 350.000 to 500.000 not low life people. i should stop smoking its bad for my health .
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Doctor View Post
how about this i smoke menthol's love the smoke coming out of my mouth i smoke in my truck in the job where ever i feel like lighting up one. if a customer approach me which is very common i just say excuse me ligth off the cigarette and putted on my pocket, this dont bother me at all i understand personal relationship it part of my business, so back to this smoking subject i have had lets say 3 to 4 of my customer inviting inside there homes to get an appraisal they want to sit down and their comfort zone so to the customer want he wants i dont go to McDonald and let them serve me whatever they want i am detailed when it comes to me spending my money so i ask for what i want. i do what i want that please me with it. so they star talking about the job and light up a cigarette ask me if it was okey for them to smoke what should said its your house u can do what ever u want with it right they ask me if i smoke i said yes they offer me one i said no thanks i said i smoke menthol they said u can smoke if u want to sure, again customer service its my first priority, for me customers don't really care if u smoke or not they will probably care more on the way u are dress, i wear polo shirts (under armor) short's, boots or golf tennis shoes i dont have any type of piercing i had ear piercing but i took them off after i got my very first call for business never put them back. more than smoking i will say what affects you its ur personallythe way you talk i have customers that even buy pizzas for me and my crew every day serving us cafe and donuts in the morning before we star working, when i do 3 or more days landscape jobs there is no way i am going to stay whit out smoking for 3 days have that make me look bad not at all they have call me back and refer me to their friends all they care about quality. i HAVE SMOKE INSIDE CUSTOMERS HOUSES they have never ask me for a discount and yes i got the jobs and make good money. oh by the way this customers live in gated community's in houses of 350.000 to 500.000 not low life people. i should stop smoking its bad for my health .
Ok, once I finally got the jist of what your saying in this post (not easy to do by the way) I understood what your saying (kind of). In my book, you never smoke on or around a customer or their property. If you need a smoke go to the truck and have one. Smoking is something people are tolerating less and less these days. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking, that's your choice. I used to smoke and did so for over ten years. But the majority of people nowadays don't want to smell it. I know one of my customers, that if she saw me smoking on her property I'd get fired on the spot. Thats how I landed her in the first place. Her old lawn care service guy smoked while he mowed her yard and it pissed her off, so she hired me. You have to use common sense when it comes to others property. If they dont mind smoking, fine smoke, but you need to know that before you just do it "where ever i feel like lighting up one".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Grass Doctor Grass Doctor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 407
Rep Power: 3
Grass Doctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHillLawn View Post
Ok, once I finally got the jist of what your saying in this post (not easy to do by the way) I understood what your saying (kind of). In my book, you never smoke on or around a customer or their property. If you need a smoke go to the truck and have one. Smoking is something people are tolerating less and less these days. I don't have a problem with anyone smoking, that's your choice. I used to smoke and did so for over ten years. But the majority of people nowadays don't want to smell it. I know one of my customers, that if she saw me smoking on her property I'd get fired on the spot. Thats how I landed her in the first place. Her old lawn care service guy smoked while he mowed her yard and it pissed her off, so she hired me. You have to use common sense when it comes to others property. If they dont mind smoking, fine smoke, but you need to know that before you just do it "where ever i feel like lighting up one".
sure i get the point and im sorry for my tarzan English thanks for talking ur time, but dont u think there is more important thinks than this smoking think like the way u dress or talk with ur crew or act in their homes in my case most of my customers they even tell me that if i need their restrooms all i need to do is ask or open the door i never done this, thats too far bothering for me. but i believe that its trust from their part and their please whit our work. i will not let use my restrooms to any body that i dont know i have even being invite it to their special occasions Christmas, thanks giving etc. and yes i smoke in their properties and they know i do i truly believe they care more about the quality than if u smoke or not but ill change my contracts and put in a section if they will want to make their home a non smoking area while we service their lawn or landscape their house for customers like your its a free country after all brother.

some like some of our crew members are smoker so please let us know if u will be obsessed if we smoke in your property and like to little boxes one for yes and one for no so this smoking issue its solve .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
smoking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quit smoking fail? CHEESE2009 General Talk 2 09-26-2011 05:14 PM
Smoking bans Steve General Talk 0 01-12-2007 05:47 PM
Thank You for Smoking Steve GopherHaul Lawn Care Business Show, Video, Book & Podcast Discussions. 3 04-22-2006 12:21 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
Yesterday 08:07 AM
Yesterday 11:08 PM
by Chilehead
2 106
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:41 PM
Yesterday 11:06 PM
by Chilehead
9 308
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
Yesterday 01:23 PM
Yesterday 06:56 PM
by Matther777
2 118
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 09:19 PM
Yesterday 06:40 PM
by robert8509
7 204
hey everyone
robert8509
10-22-2014 08:16 PM
Yesterday 06:16 PM
by robert8509
5 153
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
Yesterday 05:55 PM
by biglee
13 413
My Newest Toy (B.P....
Dan Tanner
Yesterday 05:50 PM
Yesterday 05:50 PM
by Dan Tanner
0 72
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Yesterday 03:33 PM
by TNTurf
10 830
Hi from SoCal
Jmoney
Yesterday 11:29 AM
Yesterday 12:51 PM
by Steve
1 83
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
Yesterday 12:33 PM
by Steve
5 533
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Yesterday 06:12 AM
by ringahding1
4 360
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
10-21-2014 06:20 AM
Yesterday 05:13 AM
by ringahding1
5 251
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
10-22-2014 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 430
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
10-22-2014 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 404
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
10-22-2014 01:19 PM
by Steve
1 178
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-22-2014 08:51 AM
by ringahding1
12 1,544
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
10-22-2014 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,362
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
10-21-2014 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 679
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-21-2014 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 533
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
10-21-2014 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,433
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
10-21-2014 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 284
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,838
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,342
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 250
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 324
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 771
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,226
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 508
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 353
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 690
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 994
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,360
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 718
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 340,257
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 438
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,537
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,547
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,637
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 576
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 737
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 576
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 920
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,575
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 887
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,699
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 1,112
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 1,018
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 659
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 653
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,189
» Popular Tags
2wd 4x4 aerocore apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying billy goat brushcutter bush charge christmas deliquentaccounts exmark ferris foreman georgia gopherhaul grass gravely hills holiday how much to charge how to how to bid hydraulic labor cost landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business book lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lighting lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic mowing mulch mulch estimate new buisness new business ordinance podcast property management company push versus ride savannah scag scag v-ride scripts seo snow plowing starting a business starting a lawn care business stihl sulky theft toro tractor auger trailer mate pro tree walk behind walker wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy