Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation
A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

Beds and Mowing

Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation

A great way to talk about all things lawn care related. Grass, turf, shrubs, trees, aeration, fertilization, reseeding, hydro-seeding, mowing, grub control, chemicals and pesticides. Ask questions, give answers. Grow!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM

usmc3391 is on a distinguished road

Don't let some clown who is probably angry with his life for whatever reason take it out on you. I personally know two family friends who have done just exactly that: knew nothing about landscaping and turning into a large profitable company. One still runs his and the other sold his for a (Very) Healthy profit. I thought the same thing in the begging of the season but as i began to get more mulch jobs they became easier and much faster. Stick with it and im sure you will do well as long as the passion is there. By the way Thank You Steve, this site has helped me incredibly in many ways. Keep up the great work.

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator

Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM

shadrach is on a distinguished road

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
While I will agree that there are small portions of this business that having the experience of working for someone else is greatly beneficial, as far as landscape maintenance goes it is definitely not a requirement. It is not brain surgery. And if a person is concerned about the "state of the industry" , answering questions that people ask on forums like these will only help to improve it.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM

dpld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark1611 View Post
I am not upset at all, in fact I have been on the website for a bit over a year and knew at some point and time I would have an e-mail such as this. I grew up on a golf course where my dad was a pga professional and he had me mowing at age of nine and learned a great deal about grass, weed control, when to fertilize, when to apply chemicals, and budgets, so I guess I thought I could do this because I could make a golf course look great. I got out of the business and managed lumber and hardware stores. At 52 years of age I was sick of it and got to mowing lawns. My company has grown faster than anyone in this area and I know for a fact that it was not low balling price because my closest friend here has been doing this for close to 30 years and he's told me I am in line. The locals in this area love me and my business. I have accounts with Dollar General, Office Depot, My local city, housing authority, and the largest property management company in my area. I also maintain two medical clinics, and a number of homes. I got into this business because I flat out love it. My kids, wife, and friends have seen a change in me and for that I know that it has to be good for me.

All I have invested in this company is around $55, 00.00 in equipment and have a surplus in savings over and above my income from the business, so you can see just how small I am. I charge tax and only have 1M in insurance. But I bought all this stuff with the money I had from managing business and went with it.

I want to thank you again for shooting straight and believe me I am not upset one bit. I am use to most of the people in this business not waiving at me as I pass by because I am one of those who has screwed up the system.

In closing I found it odd how many people have come up to me while I am on a job asking for work because they had to shut down there lawn care service.

Messages such as these do not have personalities so I want you to know that I am not upset with your comments. You have a reason to be upset with people like me getting into a business that is for the pros that have worked so hard to get where you are today. I wish you continue growth in all you do and that you stated what I bet a whole lot more of you guys would like to say to people like me so hats off to ya. Believe it or not, it's nice to be humbled that is how we grow. Not sure if I will ever ask a question again on this forum but itís all good. Thanks again for your honesty I'm sure you got some high fives.

In closing here is a facebook post I got just today about my business...

Mary Ann Senger Harris

5 hours ago.

FYI, if you need someone to do your yard, Reed Norman with No Worries Lawn Care is the BEST! He is honest, dependable, reasonable and will do a GREAT job! There is no one else I would recommend! You can find him here on Facebook!!

No Worries Lawn Care

You can put your trust in No Worries Lawn Care. We provide personal service and hands-on approach. Our unparalleled service, competitive prices, and overall value are why our loyal customers won't go anywhere else. We look forward to serving you! Listed below are the services we provide: ∑ m...

Page: 92 like this

DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES YOU GET UP EACH DAY TO GO TO WORK, BUT THIS KIND OF STUFF TELLS ME I AM DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.....

i am sorry if i came off like a azz and i understand that you work hard and deserve what you have and i wish you all the best.

i like your customers responses and it says a lot about your character and i hope all your customers feel the same way.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM

dpld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
While I will agree that there are small portions of this business that having the experience of working for someone else is greatly beneficial, as far as landscape maintenance goes it is definitely not a requirement. It is not brain surgery. And if a person is concerned about the "state of the industry" , answering questions that people ask on forums like these will only help to improve it.

i can agree with you to some point but the type of properties you maintain can blow that theory right out of the water.

working for someone to learn the trade is not so much to learn the basic functions of the equipment because you can show someone all they need to know in 15 minutes, off course they would have to develop the fine skills but that is all the easy part and comes fairly quickly to the right individual.

the experience i am referring to would be knowledge of turf with the pests, weeds and diseases and different varieties of grasses.
obtaining licenses if applicable in the state you live in is so much easier when you work for someone because the hours you work count as your basic training.
you get to learn more about pricing and time to do jobs because as most know every landscape is different you get to learn how to work with other people and learn to deal with others baggage.
if you have a good boss you get to learn how to be a boss and even if he stinks you can get a good picture of what not to do as a boss.

there are so many priceless things to learn while on someone elses dime that help in the long haul.

my original post was more as a advice to potential future business owners then towards anyone who is allready up and running and even though i quoted the OP it was not to lambast him.

everyone situation is different and if you are allready balls deep in your business then i am no way suggesting sell the farm and go work for someone and then start over again.
i am not saying that just because you never worked for no one there is no way you can not be good at what you do, because that is up to the particular individual and his deire to thrive and be the best he can be.

all i am saying is two things 1. there are to paths you can take, the high road and the low road. and both lead to the same destination if you work hard but one way will obviously take more effort.
2. if you are starting out take your time whats the rush, if it something you plan on doing the rest of your life you will have plenty of time for your own glory and by fine tuning your skills and knowledge on someone elses dime will only better aid you in when you start off hitting the ground running.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Shark1611 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
Well, thank you that is what I was wanting out of the post was ideas. I am going to do it, the customer wants me to but felt no harm in just asking for help. I am going to try and download photos of the bed I am talking about and you will see why I posted. Have not seen one this bad in a long time so thought it was worth the asking.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Bed Work

Here is just one small area of a bed that needs work. This is what caused me to post on the forum.

Lot's and lot's of work to do here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flowerbed.jpg (65.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post
i can agree with you to some point but the type of properties you maintain can blow that theory right out of the water.

working for someone to learn the trade is not so much to learn the basic functions of the equipment because you can show someone all they need to know in 15 minutes, off course they would have to develop the fine skills but that is all the easy part and comes fairly quickly to the right individual.

the experience i am referring to would be knowledge of turf with the pests, weeds and diseases and different varieties of grasses.
obtaining licenses if applicable in the state you live in is so much easier when you work for someone because the hours you work count as your basic training.
you get to learn more about pricing and time to do jobs because as most know every landscape is different you get to learn how to work with other people and learn to deal with others baggage.
if you have a good boss you get to learn how to be a boss and even if he stinks you can get a good picture of what not to do as a boss.

there are so many priceless things to learn while on someone elses dime that help in the long haul.

my original post was more as a advice to potential future business owners then towards anyone who is allready up and running and even though i quoted the OP it was not to lambast him.

everyone situation is different and if you are allready balls deep in your business then i am no way suggesting sell the farm and go work for someone and then start over again.
i am not saying that just because you never worked for no one there is no way you can not be good at what you do, because that is up to the particular individual and his deire to thrive and be the best he can be.

all i am saying is two things 1. there are to paths you can take, the high road and the low road. and both lead to the same destination if you work hard but one way will obviously take more effort.
2. if you are starting out take your time whats the rush, if it something you plan on doing the rest of your life you will have plenty of time for your own glory and by fine tuning your skills and knowledge on someone elses dime will only better aid you in when you start off hitting the ground running.
And you are right in a turn key operation. All is good and thank you much for the comment. Blessings to you in all you do my friend.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:31 PM

shadrach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpld View Post

I agree with all of this. There is no substitute for the proper experience. All I meant to add was that the right person with the right attitude can still get most of the way there (although it is a more difficult road). I could have worded my previous statement better than I did.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM

pfreeman is on a distinguished road
Default Just a thought...

Mowing is fine, but why swim with the sharks. Everyone mows and drives the price down. Search your market and determine where the least competition is. Learn the skills needed to enter the market; start small, price to be profitable, develop a reputation, and capture market share. I am a small company. We do not touch a project for less than $50 per man hour, plus material, and disposal fees.

The extras are where the money is, educate and develop a small customer base positioning yourself as the expert and one stop shop for lawn and landscape service. If someone needs you ahead of regular scheduling, charge a premium. My labor rate raises to $60 per man hour on emergency projects.

So far as the posts concerning bad attitudes from the competition, work on relationships. I have developed a relationship with a large landscape company. They provide me leads that they cannot service because of its size. They provide me with leads for mowing that they do not provide and for jobs that are too small for them to bother with. Also, I have developed relationships with mowing companies to prune their customers trees and landscape. I spif them and everyone is happy. This business thrives of healthy relationships- customers and competition.