Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Want to start cutting lawns around town


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
mramsa82 mramsa82 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: east aurora ,ny
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 5
mramsa82 is on a distinguished road
Default Want to start cutting lawns around town

Im 15 yrs old and i want to get some clients for the mowing season. I have been cutting other residents lawns around my neighbor hood for the past three years but its only a few houses and i don't make much money. I was wondering if making flyers is really an effective way to get new jobs? i want to call my "company" "Clean-Cut Lawncare". i was thinking about getting shirts made and business cards? i don't have much equipment right now except for a few 21 inch mowers, nice trimmers and stuff. the biggest problem for me is i cannot drive yet so i would be depending on my dad to drive me to jobs( which he has done in the past). i just joined the forum to see if i could learn something new and get some advice from professionals. If anyone could offer me any advice that would be great!!
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Apex Lawn & Landscape Apex Lawn & Landscape is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Posts: 384
Rep Power: 0
Apex Lawn & Landscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramsa82 View Post
Im 15 yrs old and i want to get some clients for the mowing season. I have been cutting other residents lawns around my neighbor hood for the past three years but its only a few houses and i don't make much money. I was wondering if making flyers is really an effective way to get new jobs? i want to call my "company" "Clean-Cut Lawncare". i was thinking about getting shirts made and business cards? i don't have much equipment right now except for a few 21 inch mowers, nice trimmers and stuff. the biggest problem for me is i cannot drive yet so i would be depending on my dad to drive me to jobs( which he has done in the past). i just joined the forum to see if i could learn something new and get some advice from professionals. If anyone could offer me any advice that would be great!!
Don't waste your money on flyers , they just get glanced at and tossed, they aren't really effective and it takes hundreds to see only a few results. My advice is to tell your current customers to "spread the word" that your a solid young worker and are looking for more work! Take that money you were going to spend on fliers, shirts and invest it back into your equipment / more equipment.. I would only suggest to make business cards , you can go online at vistaprint.com or staples.com officedepot.com , they offer quick designing with nice layouts and many fonts. It's $30.00 or so for 250. Just keep doing good work and your customers will come. Good luck buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Al Kessinger's Avatar
Al Kessinger Al Kessinger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west plains missouri
Posts: 80
Rep Power: 5
Al Kessinger is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Lawn & Landscape View Post
Don't waste your money on flyers , they just get glanced at and tossed, they aren't really effective and it takes hundreds to see only a few results. My advice is to tell your current customers to "spread the word" that your a solid young worker and are looking for more work! Take that money you were going to spend on fliers, shirts and invest it back into your equipment / more equipment.. I would only suggest to make business cards , you can go online at vistaprint.com or staples.com officedepot.com , they offer quick designing with nice layouts and many fonts. It's $30.00 or so for 250. Just keep doing good work and your customers will come. Good luck buddy.
I agree with Apex, I tried the flier thing, distributed almost 2,000 flyers and the only response that i recieved was from my ad on craigslist. Word of mouth is key in this business, Take care of your customers you have now and let them be your advertising.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Steve's Avatar
Steve Steve is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 38,064
Rep Power: 10
Steve has disabled reputation
Default

Welcome to our forum!

Talk to all your neighbors, friends and family and see if they can get you some customers. Also ask your current customers for referrals.

Try to keep the jobs close so you can get to them yourself.

Also, do you have a bike? Why not make a trailer to haul your mower!

__________________
- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Apex Lawn & Landscape Apex Lawn & Landscape is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Posts: 384
Rep Power: 0
Apex Lawn & Landscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Welcome to our forum!

Talk to all your neighbors, friends and family and see if they can get you some customers. Also ask your current customers for referrals.

Try to keep the jobs close so you can get to them yourself.

Also, do you have a bike? Why not make a trailer to haul your mower!

Steve this is awesome!! What a way to Improvize !!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Al Kessinger's Avatar
Al Kessinger Al Kessinger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west plains missouri
Posts: 80
Rep Power: 5
Al Kessinger is on a distinguished road
Default

When I was a kid mowing grass in the neighbor hood I had one of those Rear engine 30" deck mowers from sears. I had a utility cart hitched on the back that carried my 21' push mower weedeater and gas cans..... Even had my name and number painted on the trailer..... Ah the GOOD OLE DAYS lol
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 PM
msbrown4826 msbrown4826 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 5
msbrown4826 is on a distinguished road
Default potential clients

I too, am a rookie, but once I made the determination I wanted to mow I actually wanted to mow and get some experience first and find steady clients later after I had built a "portfolio". I found the perfect way and so far have only one client. Mowed my first lawn 2 days ago and just got 3 more today. I went with the biggest realtor in town. My realtor realizes that "curb appeal" is definately important for prospective buyers, and from what it sounds like he is going to have no shortage of jobs for me. Good luck! (and I think the bicycle/trailer combo is awesome. Might even get you more jobs because then people would see that you are dedicated enough to do what it takes to get the job done).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
business, cut, grass, lawn, lawncare, lawnmower, new business, tractor, trailer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The bad part of town! PineHillLawn General Talk 15 05-07-2012 07:51 PM
New in town landerslawn Introduce Yourself 4 10-20-2011 04:19 PM
Was Out Of Town arthur712 General Talk 7 09-23-2009 10:30 PM
New in town. LavaEagle Introduce Yourself 3 05-27-2009 12:27 AM
How does your town do it? Steve Lawn Maintenance / Lawn Renovation 6 04-24-2009 07:31 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Any successful one man...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
Today 06:04 AM
Today 06:04 AM
by WarriorLandscapingCAN
0 10
Enter to win Free...
arthur712
Yesterday 11:28 AM
Yesterday 11:28 AM
by arthur712
0 24
What were your top...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-13-2016 05:10 PM
09-24-2016 12:12 PM
by jrs.landscaping
3 345
I have a new show!
Chilehead
09-19-2016 06:50 PM
09-23-2016 05:45 AM
by Chilehead
7 121
First commercial estimate
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-19-2016 12:42 PM
09-22-2016 05:42 PM
by acrajchel
7 122
Larger projects - Labor...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-18-2016 07:38 AM
09-21-2016 06:51 AM
by Chilehead
5 150
I need some business...
Firehouselawn@hotmail.com
07-06-2016 05:42 AM
09-16-2016 01:50 PM
by DLC123
5 599
Is it too late?
Cpadgett
05-28-2016 09:10 AM
09-16-2016 01:35 PM
by DLC123
15 1,311
Not a newbie just...
lwlawn
09-09-2016 02:32 PM
09-16-2016 01:25 PM
by DLC123
2 503
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
09-16-2016 01:15 PM
by DLC123
6 1,381
Lawn problem
magiccc
09-14-2016 11:37 AM
09-15-2016 06:14 AM
by Chilehead
2 275
What kind of seed do you...
Bradcook21
09-02-2016 02:58 PM
09-12-2016 07:18 AM
by joshp
4 899
Commercial Flail Mower...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 04:46 PM
09-09-2016 04:50 PM
by Steve
7 764
Newbie here
paulgrant
09-07-2016 04:52 PM
09-09-2016 12:01 AM
by paulgrant
2 607
Hello, New Member Here,...
Chickenthief
09-05-2016 06:19 PM
09-08-2016 09:35 PM
by Chickenthief
6 724
Pricing fall cleanups?
WarriorLandscapingCAN
09-06-2016 11:17 AM
09-07-2016 04:06 PM
by Steve
3 699
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
09-06-2016 05:25 PM
by Steve
1,255 443,720
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 06:51 PM
08-31-2016 02:47 PM
by Steve
21 3,256
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
08-30-2016 07:47 PM
by SC93
11 1,979
fert/lawn programs
joshp
08-28-2016 10:43 AM
08-30-2016 03:27 PM
by acrajchel
2 1,111
Landscaper taking on odd...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 06:57 PM
08-28-2016 10:31 AM
by joshp
7 1,320
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
08-27-2016 10:51 AM
by Steve
7 2,158
» Popular Tags
annual apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts convention converting customer dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care seasonal snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy