Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Health, Safety and Accident Issues.

Health, Safety and Accident Issues. Discussion on health & safety issues that effect the lawn care, landscaping, tree care, power washing, snow plowing and other trades. Talks of accidents that have occurred and how they could have been prevented. OSHA rules.

Mans 6 yr old son pulled into woodchipper


Health, Safety and Accident Issues.

Discussion on health & safety issues that effect the lawn care, landscaping, tree care, power washing, snow plowing and other trades. Talks of accidents that have occurred and how they could have been prevented. OSHA rules.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default Mans 6 yr old son pulled into woodchipper

Salem plans special fund, candlelight vigil for 6-year-old victim of tragic accident

By Jeffrey A. Johnson
http://www.theday.com/article/201204...120419884/1018
Publication: theday.com
Published 04/11/2012 12:00 AM
Updated 04/11/2012 06:24 PM

Salem - The town has started a special fund at the Chelsea Groton Bank at Salem Four Corners called the "Bourgeois Family Fund" for the family of the six-year-old boy who died Tuesday when he was pulled in by a commercial-size wood chipper.

People can make donations only at that Chelsea branch or by dropping off or mailing donations to the Town Hall.

First Selectman Kevin Lyden also said this afternoon that the town is planning a candlelight vigil for 7:45 p.m. Thursday night on the Town Green, located near the town offices and the Congregational Church of Salem on Hartford Road.

Jeffrey Bourgeois was the victim of the tragic accident while with his father, Scott, at a work site at 24 Brookside Drive. Scott Bourgeois and his wife, Corinne, own C&S Tree Removal.

Lyden, who visited the Bourgeois home early today with his wife, Kathleen, and son, Charlie, said that numerous people in town have contacted him looking for a way to help the family. One elderly woman stopped by the Town Hall today with tears in her eyes to deliver a donation, Lyden said.

"There's no magic answer to get through all of this," Lyden said. "It's a process with a million steps."

Margaret Caron, the president of the Parent Teacher Organization and a Board of Education member, also said there has been an outpouring of support for the Bourgeois family. Caron said her son, Ben, is best friends with Zacary Bourgeois, the older brother of Jeffrey.

"The pain we are experiencing as a community is profound," Caron said. "As the days pass we will help each other heal and we will take solace in the fact that we were fortunate to know Jeff during his brief time here with us. Our hearts are with Scott, Corey, Nicole and Zach."
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Salem plans special fund, candlelight vigil for 6-year-old victim of tragic accident

By Jeffrey A. Johnson
http://www.theday.com/article/201204...120419884/1018
Publication: theday.com
Published 04/11/2012 12:00 AM
Updated 04/11/2012 06:24 PM

Salem - The town has started a special fund at the Chelsea Groton Bank at Salem Four Corners called the "Bourgeois Family Fund" for the family of the six-year-old boy who died Tuesday when he was pulled in by a commercial-size wood chipper.

People can make donations only at that Chelsea branch or by dropping off or mailing donations to the Town Hall.

First Selectman Kevin Lyden also said this afternoon that the town is planning a candlelight vigil for 7:45 p.m. Thursday night on the Town Green, located near the town offices and the Congregational Church of Salem on Hartford Road.

Jeffrey Bourgeois was the victim of the tragic accident while with his father, Scott, at a work site at 24 Brookside Drive. Scott Bourgeois and his wife, Corinne, own C&S Tree Removal.

Lyden, who visited the Bourgeois home early today with his wife, Kathleen, and son, Charlie, said that numerous people in town have contacted him looking for a way to help the family. One elderly woman stopped by the Town Hall today with tears in her eyes to deliver a donation, Lyden said.

"There's no magic answer to get through all of this," Lyden said. "It's a process with a million steps."

Margaret Caron, the president of the Parent Teacher Organization and a Board of Education member, also said there has been an outpouring of support for the Bourgeois family. Caron said her son, Ben, is best friends with Zacary Bourgeois, the older brother of Jeffrey.

"The pain we are experiencing as a community is profound," Caron said. "As the days pass we will help each other heal and we will take solace in the fact that we were fortunate to know Jeff during his brief time here with us. Our hearts are with Scott, Corey, Nicole and Zach."
This is really is a terrible accident. I feel so sorry for that family. However who brings a 6 year old to a job site like that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 AM
CS-LawnService CS-LawnService is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paw Paw West Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 4
CS-LawnService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashin home and property View Post
This is really is a terrible accident. I feel so sorry for that family. However who brings a 6 year old to a job site like that.
I agree and who does not watch a 6 year old when they are around dangerous equipments.
I think the parents should be charged for child endangerment ,as parents we have a responsibility for our children and this parent failed in that responsibility
__________________
Chris Hoeltke
serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
C&S Lawn Service

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS-LawnService View Post
I agree and who does not watch a 6 year old when they are around dangerous equipments.
I think the parents should be charged for child endangerment ,as parents we have a responsibility for our children and this parent failed in that responsibility
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Apex Lawn & Landscape Apex Lawn & Landscape is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Posts: 384
Rep Power: 0
Apex Lawn & Landscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
This just pisses me off...I agree with the criticism comment..they in no way should be getting sympathy. How can a parent be so negligent !!! ? If my kid were to step near my machine I would stop instantly what I'm doing and tell them to leave now! I couldn't imagine going back to work either, honestly think I'd give up on everything . I get the chills just thinking of this scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
CS-LawnService CS-LawnService is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paw Paw West Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 4
CS-LawnService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Lawn & Landscape View Post
This just pisses me off...I agree with the criticism comment..they in no way should be getting sympathy. How can a parent be so negligent !!! ? If my kid were to step near my machine I would stop instantly what I'm doing and tell them to leave now! I couldn't imagine going back to work either, honestly think I'd give up on everything . I get the chills just thinking of this scenario.
They may not have a choice about going back to work ,it was a death on a job site that means OSHA investigation .I can only imagine the fines the owner will face.
__________________
Chris Hoeltke
serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
C&S Lawn Service

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

I was feeling chipper until I read this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah this is horrble its happened but the chance should have been taken out of the equasion. You never, never, never let a small kid near anything like this. They don't understand how dangerous stuff like this is and can get hurt from just intrigue. I feel bad someone lost a child this way but come on, use common sense. I won't mow or weedeat my yard if I see my 3 yr old outside playing anywhere close. If it hurts when I get hit with a rock or twig, it's sure to hurt my little girl. I can wait or she can go inside.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM
JesseN JesseN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 3
JesseN is on a distinguished road
Default

Jesus, I can't imagine witnessing your kid getting wood chipped
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
i feel for the family and even though i would have to say they put the child in that position, they have to live with that the rest of their lives.

i want my kids to grow up and get a education so they don't have to do what i do for a living but at the same time when they are old enough i want them to experience what i do so they not only know what it is like to work for a living but maybe inspire them to stay in school and get the education they need.
but with that said i would never bring my kids around any equipment especially at age 6 with a wood chipper.
i have heard dozens of stories over the years about experienced adults getting devoured by wood chippers and just the thought of that alone i would not let a child be around one when it was off much less working.

i am a little shocked how there is no talk of why the child was even near the machine as well as what were the parents thinking.
people have dyfus called on them for bringing their kids to school late and get charged for child neglect.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
wood chipper accident

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lady pulled out in front of my wrecking my work truck! afronumeric Community Assistance 12 06-15-2011 07:51 PM
Pulled over a few minutes ago CHEESE2009 General Talk 11 02-06-2011 07:35 AM
Pulled the trigger armowing General Talk 6 08-03-2009 05:57 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Business Cards
crieg122
Today 12:03 PM
Today 01:02 PM
by biglee
1 14
Lawn Care business...
crieg122
10-23-2014 01:23 PM
Today 12:54 PM
by biglee
6 236
raking leaves ?
robert8509
10-22-2014 09:19 PM
Today 12:09 PM
by biglee
10 314
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
10-21-2014 06:20 AM
Today 11:46 AM
by crieg122
6 321
Gie-review / What's new...
ExtremeLawncareServices
Today 09:19 AM
Today 09:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
0 29
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:41 PM
Today 08:37 AM
by Dan Tanner
10 386
Leaf removal
madmedic8575
Yesterday 04:14 PM
Today 06:47 AM
by Mr. Mow
3 124
My Newest Toy (B.P....
Dan Tanner
10-23-2014 05:50 PM
Today 05:06 AM
by Dan Tanner
2 167
hey everyone
robert8509
10-22-2014 08:16 PM
Yesterday 11:07 PM
by robert8509
7 249
new to the forum
madmedic8575
Yesterday 02:52 PM
Yesterday 02:52 PM
by madmedic8575
0 77
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Yesterday 01:00 PM
by Steve
11 919
12 Years in Business!
Chilehead
10-23-2014 08:07 AM
10-23-2014 11:08 PM
by Chilehead
2 170
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
10-23-2014 05:55 PM
by biglee
13 481
Hi from SoCal
Jmoney
10-23-2014 11:29 AM
10-23-2014 12:51 PM
by Steve
1 138
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-23-2014 12:33 PM
by Steve
5 595
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
10-23-2014 06:12 AM
by ringahding1
4 421
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
10-22-2014 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 491
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
10-22-2014 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 464
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
10-21-2014 01:59 PM
10-22-2014 01:19 PM
by Steve
1 235
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-22-2014 08:51 AM
by ringahding1
12 1,602
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
10-22-2014 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,436
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
10-21-2014 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 739
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-21-2014 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 589
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
10-21-2014 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,527
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
10-21-2014 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 339
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,914
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,398
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 306
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 375
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 829
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,293
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 568
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 408
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 747
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 1,051
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,426
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 771
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 340,435
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 495
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,596
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,601
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,702
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 625
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 786
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 630
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 979
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,631
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 944
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,763
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 1,169
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment bid apartment lawn care estimate applying bob villa charge christmas collections subcontractor commercial deliquentaccounts demonstration edging employee problems estimate exmark ferris first truck georgia gopherhaul gravely hardscapes holiday honda how much to charge how to hydraulic introduction landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business book lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lighting brass outdoor lights managing a lawn care business marketing mechanic monthly mowing mulch mulch price new business patio install podcast push versus ride savannah scag scag v-ride seo shell snow plowing starting a business start up lawn care business steep lawns stihl toro tractor auger trailer mate pro tree truck new used landscape walker won't return wright stander rh
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy