Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Health, Safety and Accident Issues.

Health, Safety and Accident Issues. Discussion on health & safety issues that effect the lawn care, landscaping, tree care, power washing, snow plowing and other trades. Talks of accidents that have occurred and how they could have been prevented. OSHA rules.

Mans 6 yr old son pulled into woodchipper


Health, Safety and Accident Issues.

Discussion on health & safety issues that effect the lawn care, landscaping, tree care, power washing, snow plowing and other trades. Talks of accidents that have occurred and how they could have been prevented. OSHA rules.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default Mans 6 yr old son pulled into woodchipper

Salem plans special fund, candlelight vigil for 6-year-old victim of tragic accident

By Jeffrey A. Johnson
http://www.theday.com/article/201204...120419884/1018
Publication: theday.com
Published 04/11/2012 12:00 AM
Updated 04/11/2012 06:24 PM

Salem - The town has started a special fund at the Chelsea Groton Bank at Salem Four Corners called the "Bourgeois Family Fund" for the family of the six-year-old boy who died Tuesday when he was pulled in by a commercial-size wood chipper.

People can make donations only at that Chelsea branch or by dropping off or mailing donations to the Town Hall.

First Selectman Kevin Lyden also said this afternoon that the town is planning a candlelight vigil for 7:45 p.m. Thursday night on the Town Green, located near the town offices and the Congregational Church of Salem on Hartford Road.

Jeffrey Bourgeois was the victim of the tragic accident while with his father, Scott, at a work site at 24 Brookside Drive. Scott Bourgeois and his wife, Corinne, own C&S Tree Removal.

Lyden, who visited the Bourgeois home early today with his wife, Kathleen, and son, Charlie, said that numerous people in town have contacted him looking for a way to help the family. One elderly woman stopped by the Town Hall today with tears in her eyes to deliver a donation, Lyden said.

"There's no magic answer to get through all of this," Lyden said. "It's a process with a million steps."

Margaret Caron, the president of the Parent Teacher Organization and a Board of Education member, also said there has been an outpouring of support for the Bourgeois family. Caron said her son, Ben, is best friends with Zacary Bourgeois, the older brother of Jeffrey.

"The pain we are experiencing as a community is profound," Caron said. "As the days pass we will help each other heal and we will take solace in the fact that we were fortunate to know Jeff during his brief time here with us. Our hearts are with Scott, Corey, Nicole and Zach."
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #2  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Cashin H&P Cashin H&P is offline
new member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bedford NH
Posts: 409
Rep Power: 0
Cashin H&P is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
Salem plans special fund, candlelight vigil for 6-year-old victim of tragic accident

By Jeffrey A. Johnson
http://www.theday.com/article/201204...120419884/1018
Publication: theday.com
Published 04/11/2012 12:00 AM
Updated 04/11/2012 06:24 PM

Salem - The town has started a special fund at the Chelsea Groton Bank at Salem Four Corners called the "Bourgeois Family Fund" for the family of the six-year-old boy who died Tuesday when he was pulled in by a commercial-size wood chipper.

People can make donations only at that Chelsea branch or by dropping off or mailing donations to the Town Hall.

First Selectman Kevin Lyden also said this afternoon that the town is planning a candlelight vigil for 7:45 p.m. Thursday night on the Town Green, located near the town offices and the Congregational Church of Salem on Hartford Road.

Jeffrey Bourgeois was the victim of the tragic accident while with his father, Scott, at a work site at 24 Brookside Drive. Scott Bourgeois and his wife, Corinne, own C&S Tree Removal.

Lyden, who visited the Bourgeois home early today with his wife, Kathleen, and son, Charlie, said that numerous people in town have contacted him looking for a way to help the family. One elderly woman stopped by the Town Hall today with tears in her eyes to deliver a donation, Lyden said.

"There's no magic answer to get through all of this," Lyden said. "It's a process with a million steps."

Margaret Caron, the president of the Parent Teacher Organization and a Board of Education member, also said there has been an outpouring of support for the Bourgeois family. Caron said her son, Ben, is best friends with Zacary Bourgeois, the older brother of Jeffrey.

"The pain we are experiencing as a community is profound," Caron said. "As the days pass we will help each other heal and we will take solace in the fact that we were fortunate to know Jeff during his brief time here with us. Our hearts are with Scott, Corey, Nicole and Zach."
This is really is a terrible accident. I feel so sorry for that family. However who brings a 6 year old to a job site like that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 AM
CS-LawnService CS-LawnService is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paw Paw West Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 3
CS-LawnService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashin home and property View Post
This is really is a terrible accident. I feel so sorry for that family. However who brings a 6 year old to a job site like that.
I agree and who does not watch a 6 year old when they are around dangerous equipments.
I think the parents should be charged for child endangerment ,as parents we have a responsibility for our children and this parent failed in that responsibility
__________________
Chris Hoeltke
serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
C&S Lawn Service

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS-LawnService View Post
I agree and who does not watch a 6 year old when they are around dangerous equipments.
I think the parents should be charged for child endangerment ,as parents we have a responsibility for our children and this parent failed in that responsibility
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Apex Lawn & Landscape Apex Lawn & Landscape is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Posts: 384
Rep Power: 0
Apex Lawn & Landscape is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
This just pisses me off...I agree with the criticism comment..they in no way should be getting sympathy. How can a parent be so negligent !!! ? If my kid were to step near my machine I would stop instantly what I'm doing and tell them to leave now! I couldn't imagine going back to work either, honestly think I'd give up on everything . I get the chills just thinking of this scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
CS-LawnService CS-LawnService is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paw Paw West Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 3
CS-LawnService is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Lawn & Landscape View Post
This just pisses me off...I agree with the criticism comment..they in no way should be getting sympathy. How can a parent be so negligent !!! ? If my kid were to step near my machine I would stop instantly what I'm doing and tell them to leave now! I couldn't imagine going back to work either, honestly think I'd give up on everything . I get the chills just thinking of this scenario.
They may not have a choice about going back to work ,it was a death on a job site that means OSHA investigation .I can only imagine the fines the owner will face.
__________________
Chris Hoeltke
serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
C&S Lawn Service

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
CHEESE2009's Avatar
CHEESE2009 CHEESE2009 is offline
Dr. Scott - Ruler of the Underworld
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Switzerland, Grindelwald
Age: 73
Posts: 4,475
Rep Power: 10
CHEESE2009 is on a distinguished road
Default

I was feeling chipper until I read this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
PineHillLawn PineHillLawn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nixa, MO
Posts: 117
Rep Power: 3
PineHillLawn is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah this is horrble its happened but the chance should have been taken out of the equasion. You never, never, never let a small kid near anything like this. They don't understand how dangerous stuff like this is and can get hurt from just intrigue. I feel bad someone lost a child this way but come on, use common sense. I won't mow or weedeat my yard if I see my 3 yr old outside playing anywhere close. If it hurts when I get hit with a rock or twig, it's sure to hurt my little girl. I can wait or she can go inside.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM
JesseN JesseN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Rep Power: 3
JesseN is on a distinguished road
Default

Jesus, I can't imagine witnessing your kid getting wood chipped
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 AM
dpld dpld is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 0
dpld is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING View Post
This is what surprised me. The parents are getting sympathy for this accident instead of criticism. Theres a lot of people who get charged with risk of injury to a minor for petty things. This type of equipment is dangerous for even adults. Theres definitely negligence here.

On the other side I couldnt imagine this happening to me. I dont know how I could ever go back to work afterwards.
i feel for the family and even though i would have to say they put the child in that position, they have to live with that the rest of their lives.

i want my kids to grow up and get a education so they don't have to do what i do for a living but at the same time when they are old enough i want them to experience what i do so they not only know what it is like to work for a living but maybe inspire them to stay in school and get the education they need.
but with that said i would never bring my kids around any equipment especially at age 6 with a wood chipper.
i have heard dozens of stories over the years about experienced adults getting devoured by wood chippers and just the thought of that alone i would not let a child be around one when it was off much less working.

i am a little shocked how there is no talk of why the child was even near the machine as well as what were the parents thinking.
people have dyfus called on them for bringing their kids to school late and get charged for child neglect.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
wood chipper accident

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lady pulled out in front of my wrecking my work truck! afronumeric Community Assistance 12 06-15-2011 07:51 PM
Pulled over a few minutes ago CHEESE2009 General Talk 11 02-06-2011 07:35 AM
Pulled the trigger armowing General Talk 6 08-03-2009 05:57 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello! New here and...
CaliforniaFriendly
08-29-2014 11:30 AM
Today 11:05 PM
by CaliforniaFriendly
3 184
Lawn needs top soil What...
jymie
08-26-2014 11:01 AM
Today 05:12 PM
by jymie
6 293
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
Today 03:37 PM
by Steve
8 232
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
Yesterday 10:17 AM
Today 03:27 PM
by Steve
3 135
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
Today 03:11 PM
by Steve
5 184
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
Today 03:04 PM
by Steve
7 280
New to the industry-...
Lsmain
08-31-2014 10:53 AM
Today 02:58 PM
by Steve
1 136
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
Today 02:48 PM
by Steve
3 221
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
Today 02:44 PM
by Steve
2 165
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
Today 02:30 PM
by Steve
1 116
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
Today 02:28 PM
by Steve
1 141
snowplowing
jshak40
Yesterday 07:20 AM
Today 08:15 AM
by kslawn
6 181
Walk Behinds and Texas...
SGL1
08-26-2014 03:53 PM
Yesterday 11:36 PM
by SGL1
7 294
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
08-30-2014 09:49 AM
by BLC7
10 464
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-28-2014 09:28 PM
by Marcintosh
12 600
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
08-28-2014 12:01 PM
by Steve
16 679
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-27-2014 08:33 PM
by kurtwin
1,187 331,354
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
08-26-2014 04:21 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
110 6,757
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
08-21-2014 01:48 AM
08-26-2014 05:08 AM
by Billy Goat
12 581
Tender Process
M2Dave
08-24-2014 12:31 PM
08-25-2014 04:14 PM
by Steve
2 254
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
08-25-2014 04:02 PM
by Steve
26 3,913
Need help pricing basic...
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:21 AM
08-22-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
2 347
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
08-22-2014 01:01 PM
by Steve
6 420
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
08-21-2014 04:09 PM
08-22-2014 12:48 PM
by Steve
1 295
Pampas bushes
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:30 AM
08-22-2014 07:17 AM
by grassdoctore
1 262
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
08-21-2014 08:50 PM
by phlawncare
2 309
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
08-21-2014 08:23 PM
by SGL1
11 550
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
08-21-2014 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 807
Hello
M2Dave
08-21-2014 12:32 AM
08-21-2014 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 270
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
08-21-2014 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 607
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
08-20-2014 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 575
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 320
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 430
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 339
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 1,175
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 637
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,753
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 809
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 2,008
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 435
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 562
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 392
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 663
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 539
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 638
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 688
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 947
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 477
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 544
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 437
» Popular Tags
4wd apartment complex auger birdscaping blades charge christmas lighting collections subcontractor credit card processing customers ecosymbiosis escrow exmark ferris first truck fundraiser georgia gopherhaul grass gravely gravely 34" zero turn growing a lawn care business honda how much to charge how to bid john deere quik trac kawasaki landscape services lawn lawn care lawn care busines plan lawn care business podcast lawn care business seo lawn care business show lawn care business website lawn care business website seo lawn care seo lawn care website lawn care website seo lawn service leaf cleanup leaf removal lighting marketing mulch estimate native plants new buisness online classifieds outdoor environments patio install podcast pto redmax rotating savannah scag season seo snow plowing sprayer starting a business start up lawn care business stihl tips toro toro grand stand trailer trimmer rack turfgrass consulting walker
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy