Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Just starting your lawn care or landscaping business? > Starting a lawn care business.

Starting a lawn care business. How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.

Need Help Breaking "Per Hour" Barrier... Please Help


Starting a lawn care business.

How to start a lawn mowing business, lawn care business, or landscaping business. If you are starting a lawn care business, ask your questions here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 AM
IVPropertyMaintenance's Avatar
IVPropertyMaintenance IVPropertyMaintenance is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Junction, OR
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 5
IVPropertyMaintenance is on a distinguished road
Default

Alright I got my first opportunity to bid a job this year. I have a customer who is used to only paying $15/hr and they called me up and said they wanted gravel spread on their driveway. I found out that a load of gravel will cost $190 delivered. I have spread a load before and it took about 6 hours. If I wanted to charge $20/hr I would be looking at $310. There are no other factors to figure in for other than the "unknown" so I will add an extra 2 hours in for the just in case factor and call it $350.

I definitely like this concept because if I bust it out in half the time I originally anticipated I will be making really good money compared to the $15/hr and even if I take a couple extra hours, I will still be making $20/hr vs. $15/hr. I know it will become more natural, I guess I was just always worried about them asking how many hours I am billing them for.

It's hard because in this case, if they ask how much the gravel was, or simply ask for a receipt, they will know that the rest of the cash went in my pocket and they can quickly find out what I was charging per hour. I wish customers knew about the times we don't make very much on them (like every other job I have done for this customer) and realized that in order for us to keep coming back to take care of them, WE NEED TO MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO SURVIVE!
__________________
IV Property Maintenance
Providing Quality and Reliability
www.ivpropertymaintenance.com
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #12  
Old 04-02-2012, 12:03 PM
stevef1201 stevef1201 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,236
Rep Power: 7
stevef1201 is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
A yard of Gravel costs me 125 bucks. Delivery charge is 20 bucks per yard. A yard covers 10x10 2 inches deep. I charge 125 bucks a yards to spread. so to get a yard of gravel deivered and spread is 270 bucks. (I hate doing gravel) I have gotten several jobs even at this price, a motorized wheel barrow helps, and one or two guys. (one to shevel into the wheelbarrow, and one to rake it out) I move the guys around about every 15 mins so they dont get worn out. Time is what ever it takes. My hourly rate? Who knows sometimes it takes an hour sometimes 2 or 3.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM
IVPropertyMaintenance's Avatar
IVPropertyMaintenance IVPropertyMaintenance is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Junction, OR
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 5
IVPropertyMaintenance is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef1201 View Post
A yard of Gravel costs me 125 bucks. Delivery charge is 20 bucks per yard. A yard covers 10x10 2 inches deep. I charge 125 bucks a yards to spread.
Holy crap, you pay $125/yard of gravel? I'm getting an entire truckload (10 yards) for $190. I wish I could charge on your scale... $125/yard X 10 yards = $1250 (gravel) PLUS $125/yard X 10 yards = $1250 (spreading charge). I would be looking at making about $2500 in a day to spread some gravel around for a driveway. That would be a pretty awesome day for me.

Instead, I am charging the customer $350 for the job. The gravel guys do a pretty good job spreading the load by driving slowly while they dump the gravel. All I have to do is create clean edges and level the surface (which will probably take me a half day. All in all, a profit of about $160 for a half days work. Not great pay but it's hard to make a lot more than that in this area. Plus, this is just my second year in business, gotta build a name for myself before I go around charging crazy prices.
__________________
IV Property Maintenance
Providing Quality and Reliability
www.ivpropertymaintenance.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVPropertyMaintenance View Post
Holy crap, you pay $125/yard of gravel? I'm getting an entire truckload (10 yards) for $190. I wish I could charge on your scale... $125/yard X 10 yards = $1250 (gravel) PLUS $125/yard X 10 yards = $1250 (spreading charge). I would be looking at making about $2500 in a day to spread some gravel around for a driveway. That would be a pretty awesome day for me.

Instead, I am charging the customer $350 for the job. The gravel guys do a pretty good job spreading the load by driving slowly while they dump the gravel. All I have to do is create clean edges and level the surface (which will probably take me a half day. All in all, a profit of about $160 for a half days work. Not great pay but it's hard to make a lot more than that in this area. Plus, this is just my second year in business, gotta build a name for myself before I go around charging crazy prices.
$1250 is close to what I would charge for labor. Then another $400 for materials and delivery. I dont think a paving company would touch it for less then $2000. It wouldnt matter if it was there 1st year or 20th in business.

I wouldnt care about the customer knowing either. I just charged someone $40 a yard for compost, my cost was $29. They even asked the delivery driver how much it cost. Then I charged $900 for labor and finished in 5 hours. They were very pleased! If you ever been to a mechanic you would know they double the cost of parts and get them at a discount.

Last edited by SECTLANDSCAPING; 04-03-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM
IVPropertyMaintenance's Avatar
IVPropertyMaintenance IVPropertyMaintenance is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cave Junction, OR
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 5
IVPropertyMaintenance is on a distinguished road
Default

I guess it's just knowing your area too. There is no way I would stay around charging prices like that out here. Where I am at, I might be able to sneak a couple high prices by people but most people out here are surviving on wages between $10-$20/hour and wouldn't be able to afford Over a thousand dollars for me to spread the gravel for them. They would just hire someone at $10/hr and get it done.

I have to be competitive with others out there, can't be giving prices from another part of the country. I guess I need to find the confidence to bid big...
__________________
IV Property Maintenance
Providing Quality and Reliability
www.ivpropertymaintenance.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM
SECTLANDSCAPING SECTLANDSCAPING is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 1,912
Rep Power: 0
SECTLANDSCAPING is on a distinguished road
Default

Theres not much difference between our areas. Even my price would be half of the others in my area. Theres always someone willing to work for $10 a hour and theres always someone willing to pay $100 hour.
Quote:
Typical costs in Oregon
Medium: $1,863 (12'x50')
Quote:
Typical costs in Florida
Medium: $2,047 (12'x50')
Quote:
Typical costs in Connecticut
Medium: $2,737 (12'x50')
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM
picframer's Avatar
picframer picframer is offline
Andy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,885
Rep Power: 11
picframer will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVPropertyMaintenance View Post
Alright I got my first opportunity to bid a job this year. I have a customer who is used to only paying $15/hr and they called me up and said they wanted gravel spread on their driveway. I found out that a load of gravel will cost $190 delivered. I have spread a load before and it took about 6 hours. If I wanted to charge $20/hr I would be looking at $310. There are no other factors to figure in for other than the "unknown" so I will add an extra 2 hours in for the just in case factor and call it $350.

I definitely like this concept because if I bust it out in half the time I originally anticipated I will be making really good money compared to the $15/hr and even if I take a couple extra hours, I will still be making $20/hr vs. $15/hr. I know it will become more natural, I guess I was just always worried about them asking how many hours I am billing them for.

It's hard because in this case, if they ask how much the gravel was, or simply ask for a receipt, they will know that the rest of the cash went in my pocket and they can quickly find out what I was charging per hour. I wish customers knew about the times we don't make very much on them (like every other job I have done for this customer) and realized that in order for us to keep coming back to take care of them, WE NEED TO MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO SURVIVE!
This is where equipment seems to win, I can spread 16 yards per hour and charge $75.00 plus $65.00 float fee for a total of $130.00, I did three sites today and have two tomorrow.

I fully understand you need to make money but ut's also desperate hard to compete when the comp has equipment and does it in a fraction of the time for 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost and the results would be next to impossible if by hand, here is an example.

__________________
Andy
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cheap lawn customers, price vs quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Part Timers", "Low Ballers" & Self Employed doug1980 General Talk 43 01-27-2015 09:01 PM
Starting a Lawn Care Business with "Lawns of Wealth" startlawnbusiness Promote your products or services 0 09-08-2010 04:29 PM
Have you seen "Simply Mowing" door hanger/flyer template? akg62 Starting a lawn care business. 1 04-17-2009 03:02 PM
NEEDED: 1 landscaping company to profile LocalAdLink's "Geo-targeting" advertising Green_Day Promote your products or services 10 04-08-2009 10:48 PM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
back surgery
Bradcook21
01-28-2016 08:51 PM
Yesterday 08:04 PM
by Chilehead
12 261
hello all
romanlandscape
01-29-2016 03:46 PM
Yesterday 10:20 AM
by Bradcook21
6 162
Finding open bids?!?
C&DPropertyManagement
Yesterday 01:48 AM
Yesterday 01:48 AM
by C&DPropertyManagement
0 34
Lawn Care Book Ranked #1
Steve
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
02-06-2016 12:36 AM
by Steve
0 54
Hi
Sellers Lawn Care
02-02-2016 01:48 PM
02-05-2016 08:03 AM
by Sellers Lawn Care
4 126
Collecting payments from...
Niagara Mowing
02-03-2016 05:21 PM
02-05-2016 08:00 AM
by Niagara Mowing
7 173
SMS assist? The good,...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:24 PM
02-04-2016 11:53 PM
by Steve
5 204
I need some help...
Anise
02-04-2016 01:39 PM
02-04-2016 11:51 PM
by Steve
3 96
Customers dodging the...
Rocky
11-06-2015 06:22 AM
02-04-2016 03:41 AM
by C&DPropertyManagement
7 1,457
Offering a "Trial"...
wybut076
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
02-03-2016 08:26 PM
by Just for Cuts
7 203
Iowa Caucus Predictions?
Steve
02-01-2016 06:31 PM
02-03-2016 12:40 AM
by Steve
1 80
Laying White River Rock
DiamondLawnCare
02-01-2016 08:27 PM
02-03-2016 12:17 AM
by Steve
1 99
Networking for a...
jcurr33
01-30-2016 09:26 PM
02-01-2016 06:27 PM
by Steve
4 167
Customer giving a 1099?
apmAkron
01-27-2016 07:22 PM
01-31-2016 08:55 PM
by Chilehead
6 225
happy to be here
redrobin
01-29-2016 10:45 AM
01-31-2016 08:44 PM
by Steve
1 120
Thought's on an "E-Z...
jcurr33
01-27-2016 10:48 PM
01-31-2016 08:38 PM
by Steve
4 193
Changes
Knaubone
01-30-2016 10:56 PM
01-31-2016 08:31 PM
by Steve
1 102
Thoughts on this Exmark...
googus
01-28-2016 04:24 PM
01-28-2016 08:09 PM
by Chilehead
1 127
1st year in
jcurr33
10-18-2015 05:07 PM
01-28-2016 07:49 PM
by Chilehead
6 4,114
Need opinion on zero...
Mr. Mow
01-24-2016 05:42 PM
01-28-2016 07:41 PM
by Chilehead
10 328
Opinion on liquid vs...
Bradcook21
01-25-2016 02:03 PM
01-28-2016 07:38 PM
by Chilehead
9 277
Finding property size
Gageslawncare
01-25-2016 11:08 AM
01-28-2016 12:05 PM
by Gageslawncare
10 280
Tiger TG 2661 Commercial...
lawnman1959
01-25-2016 08:12 PM
01-27-2016 07:57 PM
by Just for Cuts
5 217
Spouse as a dependent?
Steve
01-26-2016 01:51 AM
01-27-2016 10:44 AM
by Chilehead
3 180
Hello All
C&DPropertyManagement
01-23-2016 12:21 PM
01-26-2016 01:24 AM
by Steve
1 164
Credit Cards - What's in...
Shark1611
06-16-2015 04:04 PM
01-23-2016 03:43 PM
by C&DPropertyManagement
17 7,641
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 08:43 PM
01-19-2016 07:00 PM
by Steve
12 593
State of the nation 2016.
Steve
01-12-2016 12:05 AM
01-19-2016 06:57 PM
by Steve
6 355
little help? first big...
Brian3137
12-31-2015 12:39 PM
01-19-2016 06:54 PM
by Steve
23 1,032
Hi everybody...
Greg_TopYardServices
01-14-2016 08:10 AM
01-19-2016 02:47 PM
by SC93
12 423
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 12:54 PM
01-17-2016 08:48 PM
by Homeland unlimited
25 7,886
Plow controller problems
scaypa
01-12-2016 05:49 PM
01-16-2016 10:46 AM
by scaypa
4 273
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 12:18 PM
01-15-2016 07:23 PM
by tannerduncan
1,244 427,944
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
07-07-2015 07:15 AM
01-15-2016 11:20 AM
by djlandscaping06
23 5,373
New College Course
Dr. D
01-14-2016 01:45 PM
01-14-2016 05:35 PM
by Steve
1 198
Yelp
Shark1611
01-13-2016 10:00 AM
01-14-2016 05:32 PM
by Steve
4 254
New to the forum from...
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:23 PM
01-14-2016 08:34 AM
by Doug Green
2 227
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 08:49 AM
01-13-2016 10:20 PM
by Just for Cuts
12 893
Choosing local business
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:29 PM
01-13-2016 06:12 PM
by Steve
2 391
4 Seasons Landscaping LLC
Doug Green
01-12-2016 12:56 PM
01-12-2016 12:59 PM
by Doug Green
1 250
2016 business goals
OxfordOS
01-09-2016 04:19 PM
01-12-2016 08:36 AM
by mowandblow1980
15 537
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy