Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum > Lawn Care, Landscaping, and Property Management Forums > Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??

ZTR Deck Cleaning - How Do You Clean One?


Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs.

Questions on your truck, trailer, commercial lawn mowers, lawn mower, mower parts, lawn tractors, engines, edgers, trimmers, pole saws, aerators, hydro seeders, snow plows, chain saws, stump grinders??
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 PM
mark123's Avatar
mark123 mark123 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,404
Rep Power: 9
mark123 is on a distinguished road
Default

I can't speak concerning a homeowner model but I used it on my old boss' Exmark on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote

Stop guess-timating. Learn how to estimate and make money! $$$
Mow Time Estimator Lawn Care Price Estimator Mulch and Topsoil Calculator Snow Plow Estimate Calculator


  #22  
Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 PM
shadrach's Avatar
shadrach shadrach is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 262
Rep Power: 7
shadrach is on a distinguished road
Default

Lawn care business tipsLawn Care Business Book
Putty knife. Park mower on trailer gate with part of mower hanging over side & scrape half of deck - switch sides & do it again. I have 4x6 I block back tire with for safety.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default



I like this set up.
I think maybe a bit higher up and then hook up a pressure washer to a hose system set at about medium pressure. I think this kind of set up would be great a kind of drive-thru mower washer.



I use a knife like the one above to clean my mower. I got mine at Lee Valley tools but Home or Ace Hardware have them too.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 6
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
I can't speak concerning a homeowner model but I used it on my old boss' Exmark on a daily basis.
on a quality mower I have never seen a problem but on a homeowner unit where the deck is almost thin enough to see threw it could destroy the unit.
__________________
I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
wandfsmall wandfsmall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 925
Rep Power: 6
wandfsmall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducke View Post


I like this set up.
I think maybe a bit higher up and then hook up a pressure washer to a hose system set at about medium pressure. I think this kind of set up would be great a kind of drive-thru mower washer.
I had a customer that did this until we found his spindles were not lasting very long.
__________________
I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
grass guru grass guru is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 5
grass guru is on a distinguished road
Default

I just drive the front wheels of mine a few feet up my lift gate. works ok to change the blades, and do a half way cleaning job. To clean mine I jack it up and use jack stands, or just take the deck completely off if I really want to clean it, repaint it, and silicon it.

Also hedge, that Husq 5424 was the first ztr I bought when I was starting my business up, and let me say... it didn't last 80 hours. The only thing I like about it was that it was light. However, the problems far outweighed the one benefit.

#1. Bad muffler design, will cause burns in lawn if you stop for a few seconds, when you stop to get off and move something, or even just stop and turn it off after running for a while. Had numerous complaints from customers.

#2. Blades lasted about 20 hours. I was burning through blades at an alarming rate. In the 80 hours that I owned it, I bought 4 sets. They were all used to the point of they would only be about an inch wide. Any more use out of them and they would disinegrate.

#3. I hit a small pot hole in a customers lawn, and it bent the rear wheel spindle. So as I would ride down a smooth lawn or other surface, I would be hopping.

#4. control arms broke off in my hands. Just mowing along, and where they are bolted into the cast parts on the mower, they just broke.

#5. It was falling apart... litterally. Decorative pieces were falling or breaking off.

I took it back to the dealer, who also sold Gravely, and John Deere, and he was willing to give me full credit on it towards the purchace of a different mower. I bucked up, and bought the Gravely, and haven't had a problem with it. It now has about 500 hours on it. I also bought an Exmark Turf tracer, and haven't had a problem with it. It has about 350 hours on it, so I know it wasn't me, and the way I was using the equiptment.
For that being Husqvarna's top of the line residential mower, I would have hoped it to hold up better. 80 hours is only 4 years of use residentially.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass guru View Post
I just drive the front wheels of mine a few feet up my lift gate. works ok to change the blades, and do a half way cleaning job. To clean mine I jack it up and use jack stands, or just take the deck completely off if I really want to clean it, repaint it, and silicon it.

Also hedge, that Husq 5424 was the first ztr I bought when I was starting my business up, and let me say... it didn't last 80 hours. The only thing I like about it was that it was light. However, the problems far outweighed the one benefit.

#1. Bad muffler design, will cause burns in lawn if you stop for a few seconds, when you stop to get off and move something, or even just stop and turn it off after running for a while. Had numerous complaints from customers.

#2. Blades lasted about 20 hours. I was burning through blades at an alarming rate. In the 80 hours that I owned it, I bought 4 sets. They were all used to the point of they would only be about an inch wide. Any more use out of them and they would disinegrate.

#3. I hit a small pot hole in a customers lawn, and it bent the rear wheel spindle. So as I would ride down a smooth lawn or other surface, I would be hopping.

#4. control arms broke off in my hands. Just mowing along, and where they are bolted into the cast parts on the mower, they just broke.

#5. It was falling apart... litterally. Decorative pieces were falling or breaking off.

I took it back to the dealer, who also sold Gravely, and John Deere, and he was willing to give me full credit on it towards the purchace of a different mower. I bucked up, and bought the Gravely, and haven't had a problem with it. It now has about 500 hours on it. I also bought an Exmark Turf tracer, and haven't had a problem with it. It has about 350 hours on it, so I know it wasn't me, and the way I was using the equiptment.
For that being Husqvarna's top of the line residential mower, I would have hoped it to hold up better. 80 hours is only 4 years of use residentially.
Hey, thanks for your input. It would have been better to hear before I paid for it (and it's too late to return it now), so I'll have to deal with it.


As for the muffler thing - did yours have the heat shield on it? I did recall seeing complaints about that, but more recent reviews said that they eliminated the problem, and mine has a heavy steel "box" around the muffler with some sort of "aluminum shielding" on the side facing the heat. I guess I'll find out.


I do fear the worst with the arm control mounts. Why in God's name they would use pot metal on such a part is beyond me. I'm considering ordering one of the mounts (universal I believe - left or right) just to have handy in case one snaps.


Even though it wasn't very encouraging, I DO appreciate you taking the time to post what you did. I'll keep an eye out for the things you mentioned. I will update my original mower thread as I use it to let everyone know how it works out for me.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Hedgemaster Hedgemaster is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,772
Rep Power: 0
Hedgemaster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandfsmall View Post
on a quality mower I have never seen a problem but on a homeowner unit where the deck is almost thin enough to see threw it could destroy the unit.
I agree. I'm less concerned with the lip of the deck though. What concerns me with this method of lifting is that you're essentially pushing the deck up into the mower until it makes contact and then the weight of the mower is being pressed into the top of the deck or whatever mechanism connects the deck to the frame to lift it of the ground.

At least with the Mowjack, it's being lifted by the front wheels. Unless I find a reasonable homemade way to get under it, I think the Mowjack is the best option, as it's a purpose-built design. At least there's nothing in the way on the sides when it's lifted, unlike the use of ramps.




Also, you've mentioned spindle problems a few times in relation to washing the underside. Could you expand on that? What causes the problems?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Ducke's Avatar
Ducke Ducke is offline
new member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Duck Pond
Posts: 844
Rep Power: 0
Ducke is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemaster View Post
Also, you've mentioned spindle problems a few times in relation to washing the underside. Could you expand on that? What causes the problems?
Yes how dose washing effect the spindles ???
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM
grass guru grass guru is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 5
grass guru is on a distinguished road
Default

I understand it's a res unit, but why they would use such cheap parts and workmanship is beyond me. I bought it about 2 years ago, and it did have the box around the muffler, with the aluminum "heat shield". I'm not sure if it was the muffler that was burning the lawn, or the motor. In either case, all the patterns of burnt lawn were the same. I thought about putting some steel on the bottom to protect the turf, but then again, what is the R&D department at Husqvarna for? I was just so pissed that I had spent $3800 and was having all these problems. It took some persuasion for the dealer to take it back (I had it for about 1 month and put 80 hours on it, the equivalent of 4 years for residential use). That, and the sales rep from Husqvarna was tired of hearing from the dealer about all the problems. If you haven't used it yet, you can always check with the dealer and see if he would exchange it. Never hurts to ask. They just don't want it looking used, and with a bunch of hours on it (although mine did). They might even give you a refund if you wanted to buy one from someone else. Never hurts to ask.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deck Change? mr. phil Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 5 06-01-2010 11:04 PM
Help me with this deck powerwashing bid! EgLawns Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 14 05-12-2010 02:48 AM
Deck Lift on Husqvarna walkerlawncare09 Truck, Trailer, and Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs. 3 04-10-2010 09:12 PM
Deck Pricing patphish123 Online Lawn Care Estimator - Help me bid this job 13 05-04-2008 09:36 AM
Front or mid deck ztr? BladeWarrior General Business Discussions 5 02-11-2007 09:50 AM

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
Today 12:42 AM
by SC93
9 542
My Invention
biglee
01-11-2015 06:51 PM
Yesterday 11:36 AM
by joshp
17 2,839
fert/lawn programs
joshp
Yesterday 10:43 AM
Yesterday 10:43 AM
by joshp
0 113
Landscaper taking on odd...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 06:57 PM
Yesterday 10:31 AM
by joshp
7 729
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
08-27-2016 10:51 AM
by Steve
7 1,829
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 07:43 PM
08-25-2016 12:55 PM
by Steve
19 2,166
Looking for new host
Just for Cuts
11-26-2015 06:58 AM
08-24-2016 09:05 PM
by Stephen Alberts
10 1,924
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 07:49 AM
08-24-2016 08:59 PM
by Stephen Alberts
14 13,115
Breaking into commercial...
SGL1
08-19-2016 07:02 AM
08-24-2016 10:12 AM
by mowandblow1980
7 528
Snow Plow
acrajchel
08-17-2016 10:21 AM
08-22-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
5 502
Quarter Acre Woodland...
ew411
08-16-2016 06:50 AM
08-18-2016 12:25 PM
by Steve
4 484
Bidding Bushhogging
acrajchel
08-15-2016 11:52 AM
08-17-2016 05:32 PM
by acrajchel
4 481
Hello From the Florida...
KevinShuman
08-15-2016 08:57 PM
08-16-2016 01:52 PM
by SC93
2 474
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
08-16-2016 12:42 AM
by SC93
5 773
A quick Intro
BLE
08-14-2016 05:17 PM
08-15-2016 10:54 AM
by acrajchel
2 471
New Customer - Gettting...
acrajchel
08-05-2016 05:00 PM
08-15-2016 10:52 AM
by acrajchel
4 740
helping out a friend set...
Doug D
08-13-2016 11:33 AM
08-15-2016 09:45 AM
by Steve
1 481
Small bed job
Bradcook21
08-09-2016 09:52 PM
08-10-2016 03:51 PM
by Steve
1 600
Hello from NoVa
jtwlawn
08-03-2016 11:20 AM
08-09-2016 10:45 AM
by jtwlawn
4 736
How much to charge for...
jymie
03-31-2013 05:59 PM
08-08-2016 04:33 PM
by Steve
27 6,664
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-07-2016 10:21 AM
by Just for Cuts
18 19,835
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
08-07-2016 08:37 AM
by Lawnline
8 11,302
Hey guys! Greetings from...
thegardener
08-05-2016 05:45 AM
08-05-2016 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 645
First Time Bidding-Need...
capitallawncrew
08-01-2016 08:30 AM
08-03-2016 09:52 AM
by Steve
3 697
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
08-01-2016 08:28 PM
by ExclusiveLawns
7 3,804
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
07-31-2016 10:36 AM
by joshp
13 5,951
» Popular Tags
apartment become an entrepreneur best mower be your own boss bidding break business business education business help business management complex contractor hacks contracts deck lift dethatcher edging entrepreneur entrepreneur education estimate estimates fuel problems fuel pump half moon blade intro introduction jjandm lawncare l.t.rich landscape landscape design landscaping landscaping design company landscaping richmond va landscping lawn lawncare lawnservice lowering grade marketing mulch planting raising grade residential lawn care richmond va richmond virginia lawn care safety scag snowblower snow plowing snow shovel sprayer start a business start a lawn care business start business start up toro timecutter townhome tree tree service video web design websites what to charge work from home z-max z-spray
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy