Business plan questions can be found here.
- Give a one paragraph description of your business.
We are a full service Landscape maintenance company. We provide services for every season. We focus on high maintenance properties located in affluent neighborhoods. We do not attempt to compete on price.
- Where is your business located?
- What services does your business offer?
Design / Installation
Over-seeding / re-seeding
Spring / fall cleanup
Tree services (Contracted)
Snow / Ice management
- What value does it add to the marketplace?
We are the only company in the area to offer single point of contact for all landscape maintenance needs. In addition, we offer 12 month billing cycles for budgeting purposes
- What are your qualifications?
I have been working this business part time for 5 years.
Masters degree in computer science
15 years as a federal IT contractor
- How will your experience contribute to the success of your business?
I am very good at ascertaining customer’s true needs versus their perceived needs and steering them in the right direction.
I am very well versed in all types of politics from a contractor’s standpoint. (This will serve well when bidding on commercial contracts).
- What are the key strategic opportunities you have identified in your marketplace?
This area is a boaters paradise, There are a lot of summer vacation homes in this area.
- How will your business take advantage of these strategic opportunities more effectively than your competition? I have always focused on providing services for the vacation homes, This will continue to be my primary target. The customers want no excuses for the properties not being done. I provide better than average quality and on-time delivery. Most of these properties are owned by out of state businesses, so they should be really receptive to the 12 month billing cycle.
- How do you intend to maintain your competitive edge?
Always providing on time delivery of service (The number one complaint I hear when bidding jobs).
- Describe the key challenges you face and how will you overcome them?
Gaining enough customers to provide enough cash flow for the first year will be the biggest challenge. I have put together what I thing is a good marketing plan.
- Will your business operate as a sole proprietor, partnership, corporation or an LLC?
Sole Proprietor this year, S-corp, next year, C-corp in three years.
- How will your legal structure decrease your business's exposure to risk?
This year, I will have no protection
- How much will you personally invest in your business?
I have already paid the insurances for the year out of pocket.
I have already purchased all equipment. Own it
- How much money are you seeking from banks?
- How much money are you seeking from private investors?
- How long until you plan to break even?
Equipment already paid for itself.
- How long until you plan on making a profit?
- What will your start-up costs be? Be specific, describe each and the cost.
Insurances (Auto, Gen liability) $4000.00 already paid
Advertising 3000.00 already paid (All materials are waiting to be distributed)
Trailers / Mowers / Misc. Already paid
- What is your sales forcast for each month of the entire year? List each month's goal.
Really can’t forecast at this time. I can only list what I absolutely have to have in order to cover expenses. (My salary is also considered an expense.
May – Dec = $8500.00
- What will be your operating expenses? Be specific, describe each and the cost.
Fuel = 600.00
Maintenance = 250.00
Equipment Replacement = 600.00
- What will your fixed costs be? Be specific, describe each and the cost.
Phone – 100.00
GL ins - 1200.00
Commercial Auto Rider – 100.00
Advertising – 300.00
Salary – 7000.00
Taxes – 2100.00
- What is your business?
We provide Best Value proposition for all of your lawn and landscape needs throughout all four seasons.
- How will your business succeed?
Maintaining our commitment to quality services and customer service
- What values are important to your business?
- How does your business improve the lives of your customers' and employees'?
We give them their weekends back
- What is your marketing slogan?
Really don’t have one
Haven’t really done any
- Who are your target customers? (age range, education level, occupations, average home value)
Most are business owners
400,000.00 + home value
- What zip codes do they live in?
- What do your customers want?
On time delivery
Quality service (Bragging rights, my lawn looks better than yours)
- Who are your competitors?
Most are retired folks with a single mower doing it to supplement income. One large company with 4 crews of 2 ppl each.
- How many employees do they have?
- What is their estimated sales volume?
- What services do they offer?
Full Service (They have pest lic.)
- What is the quality of their product?
Nothing special (Mow, Blow, GO)
- What is the price range of their product?
40.00 half acre
- Who are there customers?
Anyone that calls
- What are their strengths?
Low prices, full service
- What are their weaknesses?
No commitment to quality
- Are they a direct or indirect competitor?
- How many employees will you start with? Full or p/t?
myself and daughter
- What will the hourly labor wage paid to employees be?
I need salary of 6000.00 monthly
Daughter will be paid $10.00 hrly (Will work when I need her)
- What will your total annual labor hours be?
Hopefully 60 man hours weekly after 1st month
- What equipment will be needed?
* Dodge 2500 Diesel (180,000 miles and 560 RWHP)
* Home Made Salt Spreader
* Meyers 7.5 w/pro wings
* 28 ft enclosed trailer w/ 5KW genset / Welder / torches / Air Condition / Fridge
* Kubota GF1800 (60")
* Kubota F2400 (72")
* 21" Honda
* Echo Backpacks (2)
* Echo Line Trimmers (2)
* 48" Core Aerator
* 48" spike Aerator
* 48" lawn roller
* Honda ATV
- How much will it cost to obtain this equipment?
- Where will you store the equipment?
Enclosed trailer at residence
- How much will it cost to store the equipment?
Advertising / Promotion
- How will you advertise or promote your business?
Newspaper (Currently running)
Post it notes
Truck / Trailer lettering
Word of mouth
- How much will you spend doing each per year?
Newspaper (Currently running) 2000.00
Door Hangers 700.00
Post it notes 200.00
Bus cards 200.00
Yard Signs = 400.00
Truck / Trailer lettering
Word of mouth