Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

» Welcome to the Gopher Lawn Care Business Forum
GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum (http://www.gopherforum.com/forum-index.php)
-   Trials & Tribulations - The drama of running a business and of life. (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Anyone pack up and move shop? (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=18158)

LawnBoy0311 02-26-2013 08:26 AM

Anyone pack up and move shop?
 
This year may be my last year where we live. I REALLY hope it is....I hate this area!!!!!

So anyway, here is my question....any input would be great.

Has anyone packed up and moved...starting from scratch again? How did it work for you? Did you save up some cash to start fresh full time or did you ease into it part time while rebuilding? I know the 2 areas are a lot different, but I'll be fine with pricing and all that. A mower with a bigger deck will be needed too. My main worry is starting from scratch and saving enough cash to live off of and afford a hefty amount of advertising to get my name out there as quickly as I can.

The move won't happen till probably some time next year, but I NEED to get a gameplan in place and get everything lined up to make it as easy as it can be...(not like it will be easy at all!)

Any advice or input would be awesome!

smallstripeslawncare 02-26-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 (Post 122478)
This year may be my last year where we live. I REALLY hope it is....I hate this area!!!!!

So anyway, here is my question....any input would be great.

Has anyone packed up and moved...starting from scratch again? How did it work for you? Did you save up some cash to start fresh full time or did you ease into it part time while rebuilding? I know the 2 areas are a lot different, but I'll be fine with pricing and all that. A mower with a bigger deck will be needed too. My main worry is starting from scratch and saving enough cash to live off of and afford a hefty amount of advertising to get my name out there as quickly as I can.

The move won't happen till probably some time next year, but I NEED to get a gameplan in place and get everything lined up to make it as easy as it can be...(not like it will be easy at all!)

Any advice or input would be awesome!

I'm currently in Charlotte, NC and was very close to pulling the trigger to move myself and my family (wife and two kids) to the coast of NC. I'm a surfer at heart and love the beach and have always wanted to move to the coast since I was very little. I had enough saved up for about one years worth of rent/bills and enough advertisement to get my name somewhat out there. I did tons of research on the area and the market for lawn care, common grass types, pricing, etc...At the time I was hauling a 36in walk behind and a 4X7 trailer with a 1983 BMW 320I car and it needed a clutch bad and a few others things. I pretty much had to choose to buy a truck and not move (I wouldn't have enough for one years rent/bills/advertisement) or fixing my car and still not having quite as much as we needed and trying to work with faith that I would get enough lawns to make up for it and be okay. I knew it looked pretty bad hauling with my car and it was really straining the car (car was like a third child to me) and so I bought the truck and decided we wouldn't be moving this year.

I still want to move but my wife owns a photography business and she's very successful in Charlotte and I'm decently successful in Charlotte so we would be moving starting over and taking a big risk of it not working out just because I want to move to the beach and live my dreams which is a little selfish when I have kids in the equation. Now if I was single I'd already be at the beach. I'd live in my truck until I had work lol.

willshome 02-26-2013 10:25 AM

If I was thinking about moving I would 4 to 6 months before moving I would setup a phone number "local" and a website. I would then list them all over the web this would give them time to raise in rank. If any one does call just say your booked up for the next few months

LawnBoy0311 02-26-2013 10:43 AM

Smallstripes- I'm moving to eastern NC from MD. So the climate change isn't too bad, just a few degrees warmer and more rain in the summer months.

Will thats a dang good idea. We have some time before the house will be built. We just bought the land last July. The 7 acres we have will be enough for a house and equipment....which will make things MUCH easier! I think its an awesome idea to set up a website and get my name out there. Also enough time to get a good website developed....this I have no idea how to do!!

smallstripeslawncare 02-26-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 (Post 122495)
Smallstripes- I'm moving to eastern NC from MD. So the climate change isn't too bad, just a few degrees warmer and more rain in the summer months.

Will thats a dang good idea. We have some time before the house will be built. We just bought the land last July. The 7 acres we have will be enough for a house and equipment....which will make things MUCH easier! I think its an awesome idea to set up a website and get my name out there. Also enough time to get a good website developed....this I have no idea how to do!!

Where in eastern NC are you moving to? I'm pretty familiar with the coastal area's since I'm a surfer. Your biggest change will be the grass type. In MD I guarantee your cutting a cool season grass (fescue, etc...). The coastal areas of NC are warm season grasses and there's a lot of centipede, bahia, and most golf courses have zoysia or bermuda grass and some high end communities have zoysia (probably emerald variety). Research all you can about the types of grass you will be cutting. Centipede is a slow growing grass and is very low maintenance so a lot of people may only want it cut bi-weekly and you won't be able to sell a lot of turf applications.

Also its a hard market to get into being right near the coast because a lot of homes are vacation homes for people and it may be hard to get a hold of the home owners to set up taking care of their property. Also rentals are big at the coast and they're usually managed by one lawn company if they're with a realty that rents them out for the home owner. If your farther inland then it may be a little different. Wilmington is a college town (UNCW) and a lot are college kids that rent a house and split the rent and you may be able to market to them if your going to move near wilmington but keep in mind they may not want weekly service since either the grass doesn't grow that fast (centipede) but also they probably don't care that much about the lawn.

Either way though you'll be fine just have plenty saved up and learn about the grass types.

Sprinkler Buddy 02-26-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willshome (Post 122494)
If I was thinking about moving I would 4 to 6 months before moving I would setup a phone number "local" and a website. I would then list them all over the web this would give them time to raise in rank. If any one does call just say your booked up for the next few months

Take their name and # and tell them you'll call them when an opening becomes available. If they would like.

LawnBoy0311 02-26-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallstripeslawncare (Post 122516)
Where in eastern NC are you moving to? I'm pretty familiar with the coastal area's since I'm a surfer. Your biggest change will be the grass type. In MD I guarantee your cutting a cool season grass (fescue, etc...). The coastal areas of NC are warm season grasses and there's a lot of centipede, bahia, and most golf courses have zoysia or bermuda grass and some high end communities have zoysia (probably emerald variety). Research all you can about the types of grass you will be cutting. Centipede is a slow growing grass and is very low maintenance so a lot of people may only want it cut bi-weekly and you won't be able to sell a lot of turf applications.

Also its a hard market to get into being right near the coast because a lot of homes are vacation homes for people and it may be hard to get a hold of the home owners to set up taking care of their property. Also rentals are big at the coast and they're usually managed by one lawn company if they're with a realty that rents them out for the home owner. If your farther inland then it may be a little different. Wilmington is a college town (UNCW) and a lot are college kids that rent a house and split the rent and you may be able to market to them if your going to move near wilmington but keep in mind they may not want weekly service since either the grass doesn't grow that fast (centipede) but also they probably don't care that much about the lawn.

Either way though you'll be fine just have plenty saved up and learn about the grass types.

Ya I'm pretty familiar with NC. I was stationed in Jacksonville, we used to hang out at Surf City and Wilmington. Thats actually the reason my wife and I want to go back. I swore I would never go back to NC, but I really miss it! We bought land in Beaufort County, so I'll be staying in that area. Jacksonville wouldn't even be close to my service area, let alone wilmington!!! There's plenty of houses around, but my service area would be spread out further. I'd have to cut a bunch of small commercial accounts too, so a good game plan should set me up (hence the reason for the thread).

MD is pretty much all fescue, my town has some zoysia here and there...how is it cutting bahia?

smallstripeslawncare 02-26-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnBoy0311 (Post 122523)
Ya I'm pretty familiar with NC. I was stationed in Jacksonville, we used to hang out at Surf City and Wilmington. Thats actually the reason my wife and I want to go back. I swore I would never go back to NC, but I really miss it! We bought land in Beaufort County, so I'll be staying in that area. Jacksonville wouldn't even be close to my service area, let alone wilmington!!! There's plenty of houses around, but my service area would be spread out further. I'd have to cut a bunch of small commercial accounts too, so a good game plan should set me up (hence the reason for the thread).

MD is pretty much all fescue, my town has some zoysia here and there...how is it cutting bahia?

I'm a little familiar with Beaufort county but more with the coastal areas. New bern isn't too far from beaufort. I'm in Charlotte and we have mainly fescue and bermuda grass for the most part so I'm not familiar with bahia but from the research I did when we were planning to move its not that bad. I really wish we would of been able to move.

LawnBoy0311 02-26-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallstripeslawncare (Post 122528)
I'm a little familiar with Beaufort county but more with the coastal areas. New bern isn't too far from beaufort. I'm in Charlotte and we have mainly fescue and bermuda grass for the most part so I'm not familiar with bahia but from the research I did when we were planning to move its not that bad. I really wish we would of been able to move.

The main reason we're trying so fast is because of the economy. The prices are great....always worth looking!!! I want to get a condo in FL next...hopefully the housing market will stay low for a while.

Try talking to an agent and see what they can dig up for you! You'd be surprised whats out there. Even short sales....

A guy I know up here put an offer in for a house. Appraisal was at $1.2Mil, he offered $500K and got it!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Leaf Box & Loader Set...
ringahding1
Yesterday 06:20 AM
Today 06:51 PM
by Matther777
4 151
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Today 04:49 PM
by WesleySnips
3 258
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
Today 01:47 PM
by The Hunter
3 417
Dealing With Gas Can...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 01:41 PM
Today 01:39 PM
by Steve
5 162
Pressure Washing Like a...
TNTurf
08-01-2014 11:47 PM
Today 01:33 PM
by Steve
9 728
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Today 01:27 PM
by Steve
6 354
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Today 01:23 PM
by Steve
3 326
Hi Steve From West...
Mr. Mow
Yesterday 01:59 PM
Today 01:19 PM
by Steve
1 101
Cheapskate Landlord...
Mr. Mow
10-20-2014 06:33 AM
Today 01:17 PM
by Steve
9 264
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
Today 08:51 AM
by ringahding1
12 1,464
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
Today 07:47 AM
by ringahding1
4 1,284
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
Yesterday 01:36 PM
by Mr. Mow
16 610
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
Yesterday 01:26 PM
by stevef1201
11 460
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 01:19 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
158 11,308
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
10-19-2014 11:24 PM
Yesterday 01:04 PM
by SGL1
4 222
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
10-20-2014 08:34 PM
by biglee
10 1,768
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-20-2014 05:42 PM
by SGL1
7 1,273
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
10-19-2014 09:50 PM
10-20-2014 04:41 PM
by Steve
1 185
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-20-2014 04:24 PM
by Steve
1 258
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-20-2014 03:27 PM
by Mr. Mow
15 702
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-20-2014 02:14 PM
by Steve
14 2,147
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-20-2014 02:11 PM
by Steve
7 439
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-20-2014 02:09 PM
by Steve
1 276
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 622
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 924
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,277
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 656
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 340,025
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 370
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,465
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,484
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,565
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 507
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 669
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 504
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 856
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,486
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 818
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,630
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 1,044
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 949
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 592
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 582
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,114
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 2,992
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,629
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 833
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 02:45 PM
10-07-2014 04:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 813
Good Mower
jack2048
10-04-2014 05:34 PM
10-07-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
7 893
Mulching fad killing...
Tree geek
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
by Tree geek
0 708
Read more about these lawn care business marketing categories.
General Business:
GopherHaul, Podcast
How to Estimate - Services To Offer:
Aeration, Apartment / Condo, bed edging, Color Change Plantings, Dethatching, Edging, Fall Leaf Cleanups, Foreclosed Homes, Gutter Cleaning, Hardscaping, Hedge Trimming, Home Safety Inspection, Irrigation, Landscape Project, Lawn Mower Repair, Mowing, Mulch Jobs, Outdoor decoration, Parking Lot Cleanups, Pet Waste Removal, Pressure Washing, Property Management, Snow plowing, Stump Grinding, Tree Removal
How to Estimate Jobs:
Lawn Care Business:
Barter, Bikini Lawn Care, Business Failure, Business loan, Business Plan, Debt, Debt Collection, Estimate or Proposal Form, Franchise, Fuel surcharge, How to sell, Insurance, Job Tracking, Lawn Care Contract, Lawn Care Customer Survey, Lawn Care Uniform, Lawn Care Videos, Operational Costs, Overhead Costs, Prepay, Pricing, Start up, Tiger Time Lawn Care,
Lawn Care Business Books:
Lawn Care Customers:
Buying customers, Commercial Customers, Customer Retention, How to get, Residential Customers
Lawn Care Employees:
1 Man Lawn Crew, Bonus Pay, training, Your First Employee
lawn care equipment:
bed edger, Lawn Care Truck, Leaf Sweeper, Mower, New Arrival, Trailer, UltraVac
Lawn Care Marketing:
Billboard, Brochure, Business Card, Community Projects To Promote Your Business, Coupons, Cross Promotion / Synergy, Direct Mail, Door hanger, door to door, Free Giveaway Contest, Free Lawn Care Flyer Template, Gift or Discount Cards, home show, Internet, Lawn Care Business Sales Letter, Lawn Care Logo, Lawn Care Marketing, Lawn Care Truck & Trailer Signs, Lawn Care Website, Lawn Signs, Magazine Ad, Magnets, Mailing list, Marketing on Craigslist.com, Newspaper Ads, Parade, Postcards, publicity stunt, Referrals, Review My Lawn Care Marketing Material, t-shirt, Welcoming Kit, Word Of Mouth
Seasonal Promotion Ideas:
4th of July, Armed Forces Day, Christmas, Election Day, Fall, Halloween, Memorial Day, Spring, Summer, Valentine's Day, Veteran's Day, Winter:
Software:
Estimation Software, Landscaper Software, Landscaping Business Software, Landscaping Estimate Software, Landscaping Software, Lawn Care Business Software, Lawn Care Estimating Software, Lawn Care Software, Mowing Software
Uncategorized:
Video:
Website:
Search Engine Optimization
» Lawn Care Business Discussion Categories
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy