Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

» Welcome to the Gopher Lawn Care Business Forum
GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum (http://www.gopherforum.com/forum-index.php)
-   Outdoor Power Equipment Discussion, Repairs, Buy or Sell (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Anyone running a Scag 48" tigercat? (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=18089)

ericj88 02-13-2013 01:09 PM

Anyone running a Scag 48" tigercat?
 
I am considering buying a new 48 scag tigercat mower. This will be my first mower for business. I hear that scag makes a great machine, which is why I am considering them over the bobcat. My main concern with this particular mower is that it has a 19hp KAI Kawasaki engine. I have searched the forum for reviews about this small motor, and I didnt find much at all.
Is anyone here running this machine with this motor? If so, what is your experience with it?
I am concerned with it possibly being under powered, short engine life (hours), and or just constant repairs. I hope it is reliable, as the price is good for this mower.
Thanks

wandfsmall 02-13-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj88 (Post 121922)
I am considering buying a new 48 scag tigercat mower. This will be my first mower for business. I hear that scag makes a great machine, which is why I am considering them over the bobcat. My main concern with this particular mower is that it has a 19hp KAI Kawasaki engine. I have searched the forum for reviews about this small motor, and I didnt find much at all.
Is anyone here running this machine with this motor? If so, what is your experience with it?
I am concerned with it possibly being under powered, short engine life (hours), and or just constant repairs. I hope it is reliable, as the price is good for this mower.
Thanks

I did not think that Kawasaki was using KAI anymore I would think your looking at really old stock. I would need to know if it is FH, FJ, or something else to tell you about the quality of the engine and what it was designed to do. As to quality and life of the mower however I can assure you that bobcat will hold its own, and in fact will have a longer warranty then the scag. Let me know what you find out as to the age of the unit as Scag has had a few bad years just like the others, a 48" mower sitting around that long would likely be one of them.

ericj88 02-13-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wandfsmall (Post 121925)
I did not think that Kawasaki was using KAI anymore I would think your looking at really old stock. I would need to know if it is FH, FJ, or something else to tell you about the quality of the engine and what it was designed to do. As to quality and life of the mower however I can assure you that bobcat will hold its own, and in fact will have a longer warranty then the scag. Let me know what you find out as to the age of the unit as Scag has had a few bad years just like the others, a 48" mower sitting around that long would likely be one of them.

The dealer said it was about two years old, and it was the last scag they had left since they quit selling the brand. Im not sure which motor it is though. Which one (FH or FJ) is the one with a bad reputation? What were the issues with it?

dpld 02-13-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj88 (Post 121944)
The dealer said it was about two years old, and it was the last scag they had left since they quit selling the brand. Im not sure which motor it is though. Which one (FH or FJ) is the one with a bad reputation? What were the issues with it?


i would take wandfsmall's advice because he knows his stuff about these things and probably more so then most of us.

considering how many mowers get bought every year by landscapers i would be a little suspect about any new machine that has been sitting in a dealer for 2 years.
there has to be something at odds with it for it to have been passed by for 2 years.
i am sure the guy may give you a good deal price wise but that will go right out the door if it is a dud with a inferior motor.

ericj88 02-13-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpld (Post 121945)
i would take wandfsmall's advice because he knows his stuff about these things and probably more so then most of us.

considering how many mowers get bought every year by landscapers i would be a little suspect about any new machine that has been sitting in a dealer for 2 years.
there has to be something at odds with it for it to have been passed by for 2 years.
i am sure the guy may give you a good deal price wise but that will go right out the door if it is a dud with a inferior motor.

I am considering passing it up, as I have been trying to research the 19hp kai. Seems it is a FH580v at 585cc. I have read the older kawasaki (non kai
fh601v) 19hp is actually 675cc and is thought to be a better motor.

$6500.00 for a scag 48" is a good price with no hours on it. I am leary though as their must be a reason its still for sale. I found a new 52" tigercat for $8200.00, which is comparable to the bobcat procat's I have looked at. I like both of them, and am still undecided.

phouse65 02-14-2013 08:18 AM

Tiger Cub
 
I have a 48 Tiger Cub (2009 they were Cub not Cat), it is the best piece of equipment. Never had a problem and runs awesome. I have the 26HP Briggs and Stratton in mine. I paid $6,200 bran d new. They had got all the 2010 models in and sold off the 2009 for cheap. If you want more HP or a different engine, look around and haggle with these dealers. Either way, just take care of the mower by doing the upkeep that it requires (grease spindles a couple times a week, change oil) and you will love it.

Mowin4Dollas 02-14-2013 08:41 AM

If your a bigger guy, this mower isn't very roomy. I felt like I was sitting in a Pre school chair. I'm 6'2 and about 235.

wandfsmall 02-14-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj88 (Post 121946)
I am considering passing it up, as I have been trying to research the 19hp kai. Seems it is a FH580v at 585cc. I have read the older kawasaki (non kai
fh601v) 19hp is actually 675cc and is thought to be a better motor.

$6500.00 for a scag 48" is a good price with no hours on it. I am leary though as their must be a reason its still for sale. I found a new 52" tigercat for $8200.00, which is comparable to the bobcat procat's I have looked at. I like both of them, and am still undecided.

Here are some facts about mowers that most people on this site do not seem to understand.

1)Every mower has a weak area and every mower has a strong area

2)Every Mower manufacture has bad models(and not every tiger cub is not the same model they like most other companies use model numbers) Some of the better dealers can see some of this in advance and avoid them if they can.

3)For the most part you can not tell what mower cut the grass as any of the better quality commercial mowers do about the same job.

4)The mechanic that setup the mower is more important to the life and cut quality then the brand on the mower unless you are willing and able to redo the job when you buy it.

wandfsmall 02-14-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj88 (Post 121946)
I am considering passing it up, as I have been trying to research the 19hp kai. Seems it is a FH580v at 585cc. I have read the older kawasaki (non kai
fh601v) 19hp is actually 675cc and is thought to be a better motor.

$6500.00 for a scag 48" is a good price with no hours on it. I am leary though as their must be a reason its still for sale. I found a new 52" tigercat for $8200.00, which is comparable to the bobcat procat's I have looked at. I like both of them, and am still undecided.

The best advice I can give you is pick a mower you like from a dealer that will likely be around in a few years to help you if you need it and sell you parts at a decent price. Forget about what you read online, or see on other guys trailers the biggest dealer in a lot of cases will not be the best dealer for service and price. And I have no clue as the the quality of the mechanic setting up the mowers you are looking at.

Matther777 02-15-2013 04:40 PM

I read somewhere in Consumer Reports that a type of Kawasaki Motors went on recall do to some electrical issue and catching fire. Now I am not saying they make a horrible product. I am just letting you know find out if that mower doesnt have the bad engine before you purchase it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Lawn needs top soil What...
jymie
08-26-2014 11:01 AM
Today 05:12 PM
by jymie
6 276
Brake job!
kslawn
08-30-2014 07:49 AM
Today 03:37 PM
by Steve
8 215
Trailer tires
J.A.S.LawnService
Yesterday 10:17 AM
Today 03:27 PM
by Steve
3 115
Mowing 7 acres
avetslawncare
08-31-2014 04:24 PM
Today 03:11 PM
by Steve
5 165
Help pricing cut down 7...
Bradcook21
08-26-2014 11:17 PM
Today 03:04 PM
by Steve
7 267
New to the industry-...
Lsmain
08-31-2014 10:53 AM
Today 02:58 PM
by Steve
1 119
Sod
RosalesLawnCare
08-27-2014 03:47 PM
Today 02:48 PM
by Steve
3 208
Lawn Route Templates
Landscaper1165
08-30-2014 01:52 PM
Today 02:44 PM
by Steve
2 152
Hello! New here and...
CaliforniaFriendly
08-29-2014 11:30 AM
Today 02:39 PM
by Steve
2 171
Hello
jawnebgoode
08-28-2014 08:37 PM
Today 02:30 PM
by Steve
1 101
Hello from Ohio
kurtwin
08-28-2014 05:06 PM
Today 02:28 PM
by Steve
1 127
snowplowing
jshak40
Yesterday 07:20 AM
Today 08:15 AM
by kslawn
6 167
Walk Behinds and Texas...
SGL1
08-26-2014 03:53 PM
Yesterday 11:36 PM
by SGL1
7 282
Exmark Lazer Z S-Series...
BLC7
08-22-2014 10:18 AM
08-30-2014 09:49 AM
by BLC7
10 442
Stihl engine isn't...
Marcintosh
08-12-2014 08:30 PM
08-28-2014 09:28 PM
by Marcintosh
12 585
Softball field
kslawn
08-15-2014 09:28 AM
08-28-2014 12:01 PM
by Steve
16 663
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-27-2014 08:33 PM
by kurtwin
1,187 331,331
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
08-26-2014 04:21 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
110 6,725
How do I approach...
Bradcook21
08-21-2014 01:48 AM
08-26-2014 05:08 AM
by Billy Goat
12 565
Tender Process
M2Dave
08-24-2014 12:31 PM
08-25-2014 04:14 PM
by Steve
2 239
Grass hopper mower
ExtremeLawncareServices
12-05-2013 08:51 AM
08-25-2014 04:02 PM
by Steve
26 3,898
Need help pricing basic...
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:21 AM
08-22-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
2 331
Yearly contract Pricing
jrob0691
08-21-2014 08:57 AM
08-22-2014 01:01 PM
by Steve
6 403
yearly contract help...
jrob0691
08-21-2014 04:09 PM
08-22-2014 12:48 PM
by Steve
1 277
Pampas bushes
Bradcook21
08-22-2014 01:30 AM
08-22-2014 07:17 AM
by grassdoctore
1 248
2014 Gie-expo
ExtremeLawncareServices
08-19-2014 11:22 PM
08-21-2014 08:50 PM
by phlawncare
2 292
Fuel Can Spouts
Shark1611
08-16-2014 09:09 AM
08-21-2014 08:23 PM
by SGL1
11 536
Have you ever had to...
SouthernRootsLawnCare
07-26-2014 02:41 PM
08-21-2014 05:03 PM
by stevef1201
6 790
Hello
M2Dave
08-21-2014 12:32 AM
08-21-2014 01:38 PM
by Steve
1 256
New Landscaping Business
rekon32
08-16-2014 02:26 PM
08-21-2014 12:33 PM
by SouthallMowing
8 591
Downed Tree Chop Bid
WesleySnips
08-16-2014 03:47 PM
08-20-2014 01:44 PM
by SGL1
10 560
60 inch honda/bunton...
pblawncare
08-17-2014 11:30 AM
08-18-2014 03:19 PM
by Steve
2 304
Replacement Parts -...
nicholas-KC
08-16-2014 08:40 AM
08-18-2014 03:16 PM
by Steve
4 414
Preparing the soil
Billy Goat
08-16-2014 06:18 PM
08-18-2014 03:01 PM
by Steve
1 325
What to pay help
phlawncare
08-04-2014 08:33 PM
08-18-2014 10:33 AM
by jrs.landscaping
29 1,158
Hello
Jeff1
08-07-2014 11:18 PM
08-15-2014 11:53 PM
by Jeff1
11 621
Lie #2 RESIDENTIAL...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-06-2014 05:02 AM
08-15-2014 01:46 PM
by mattthelawnguy
54 6,736
Need help 30 HP koler...
Shady Grady
08-01-2014 03:31 PM
08-15-2014 08:46 AM
by kslawn
18 794
New Boomless Sprayer!
BlackRain75
01-03-2014 01:01 PM
08-14-2014 02:37 AM
by BlackRain75
12 1,992
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
08-13-2014 03:29 PM
by Steve
1 420
Hello from Jacksonville,...
JM Lawn Care
08-10-2014 07:15 AM
08-13-2014 07:04 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
9 545
Hello everyone new to...
maddyandrays
08-11-2014 04:51 PM
08-12-2014 08:58 PM
by Shark1611
2 379
Walk behinds
hpruitcei
08-07-2014 06:28 PM
08-12-2014 02:35 PM
by mattthelawnguy
7 648
New name help
stevef1201
08-10-2014 04:27 PM
08-12-2014 12:03 PM
by Steve
6 523
my little green dilemmas
Lawn Techie
08-03-2014 11:47 AM
08-11-2014 01:20 PM
by Steve
7 621
what the best...
CleanCutsLLC
08-02-2014 01:02 AM
08-11-2014 01:16 PM
by Steve
6 673
Texas lawn care company...
Livingston Lawn Care
07-25-2014 11:29 AM
08-11-2014 01:19 AM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
13 931
Covering all the bases
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:11 AM
08-08-2014 01:41 PM
by Steve
1 462
New from Florida
ADE
08-06-2014 08:40 PM
08-08-2014 01:32 PM
by Steve
4 530
JOB - Landscape Install...
janslawncare
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
08-08-2014 10:06 AM
by janslawncare
0 418
Read more about these lawn care business marketing categories.
General Business:
GopherHaul, Podcast
How to Estimate - Services To Offer:
Aeration, Apartment / Condo, bed edging, Color Change Plantings, Dethatching, Edging, Fall Leaf Cleanups, Foreclosed Homes, Gutter Cleaning, Hardscaping, Hedge Trimming, Home Safety Inspection, Irrigation, Landscape Project, Lawn Mower Repair, Mowing, Mulch Jobs, Outdoor decoration, Parking Lot Cleanups, Pet Waste Removal, Pressure Washing, Property Management, Snow plowing, Stump Grinding, Tree Removal
How to Estimate Jobs:
Lawn Care Business:
Barter, Bikini Lawn Care, Business Failure, Business loan, Business Plan, Debt, Debt Collection, Estimate or Proposal Form, Franchise, Fuel surcharge, How to sell, Insurance, Job Tracking, Lawn Care Contract, Lawn Care Customer Survey, Lawn Care Uniform, Lawn Care Videos, Operational Costs, Overhead Costs, Prepay, Pricing, Start up, Tiger Time Lawn Care,
Lawn Care Business Books:
Lawn Care Customers:
Buying customers, Commercial Customers, Customer Retention, How to get, Residential Customers
Lawn Care Employees:
1 Man Lawn Crew, Bonus Pay, training, Your First Employee
lawn care equipment:
bed edger, Lawn Care Truck, Leaf Sweeper, Mower, New Arrival, Trailer, UltraVac
Lawn Care Marketing:
Billboard, Brochure, Business Card, Community Projects To Promote Your Business, Coupons, Cross Promotion / Synergy, Direct Mail, Door hanger, door to door, Free Giveaway Contest, Free Lawn Care Flyer Template, Gift or Discount Cards, home show, Internet, Lawn Care Business Sales Letter, Lawn Care Logo, Lawn Care Marketing, Lawn Care Truck & Trailer Signs, Lawn Care Website, Lawn Signs, Magazine Ad, Magnets, Mailing list, Marketing on Craigslist.com, Newspaper Ads, Parade, Postcards, publicity stunt, Referrals, Review My Lawn Care Marketing Material, t-shirt, Welcoming Kit, Word Of Mouth
Seasonal Promotion Ideas:
4th of July, Armed Forces Day, Christmas, Election Day, Fall, Halloween, Memorial Day, Spring, Summer, Valentine's Day, Veteran's Day, Winter:
Software:
Estimation Software, Landscaper Software, Landscaping Business Software, Landscaping Estimate Software, Landscaping Software, Lawn Care Business Software, Lawn Care Estimating Software, Lawn Care Software, Mowing Software
Uncategorized:
Video:
Website:
Search Engine Optimization
» Lawn Care Business Discussion Categories
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy