Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

» Welcome to the Gopher Lawn Care Business Forum
GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum (http://www.gopherforum.com/forum-index.php)
-   General Business Discussions (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Where my customers @? (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=17278)

Columbianalawns 08-29-2012 04:14 PM

Where my customers @?
 
So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?

Chaz 08-29-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbianalawns (Post 115102)
So, I started this business in March, I've got around 20 accounts, I advertise w/ google adwords, flyers when I'm especially bored and business cards (sometimes). Should I just be content with waiting until next march to send out postcards and flood the areas I want with them? I know its time for fall services should I advertise those through post cards, fliers and what not?

if you want work you gotta find it, talk to your current clients see if they are interested in anything soon, tell them you are looking for work and if they know anyone who needs some landscaping to pass your name.

otherwise do a little bit of advertising

SECTLANDSCAPING 08-29-2012 08:54 PM

20 is not bad at all for your first year.

CHEESE2009 08-30-2012 02:20 AM

20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok" :D




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?

Steve 08-30-2012 11:56 AM

Are you getting referrals? Are you asking for them from your current customers? Are you marketing to the neighbors of your current customers?

xandrew245x 08-30-2012 03:54 PM

If I had 20 clients right now I would be very very happy.

stevef1201 08-30-2012 05:19 PM

NEVER STOP ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fall is comming- advertise fall cleanup
Spring is comming advertise lawn maintenance fertilizing spring clean up plant installaiton

etc etc etc

NEVER stop advertising.

Current customers, look for new customers There are thousands of people who are tired of the current company, or the guy quit, or they want something that the current guy does not do.

That is thousands in your area not nation wide.

You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you

CHEESE2009 08-30-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevef1201 (Post 115164)
You have potentialy 1000 customers waiting to hear from you

You think I'm some kind of wh0re or something?

lolololol

Chaz 08-31-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHEESE2009 (Post 115132)
20 is fantastic for your first year, congrats!


From experience, the next batch of clients should (or have) come from referrals.

After your first year, you may actually lose several of those clients, because you will want to get rid of them. During my first year, I have learned what doesn't float well with me, for example:

Having less clients allowed me to start relationships
This turned out bad for me, because now (years later) they expect me to still have 20 minutes to spare talking with them.
GOOD + BAD = BAD

Being able to communicate with your clients may seem like a great thing at first, you will feel like a hero, the "lawn guy with a personal touch". This is going to kill you later on, but you actually need to have this learning experience.

Being new, I allowed for my clients to negotiate.
Big mistake, as you grow these clients will become a burden - they take up all kinds of space and resources. If you can't find a way for them to pay you more, you've gotta drop them and break hearts.

Being new, I accepted every lawn
I felt successful having many lawns, however, the majority of my starter lawns were terrible. We're talking hills on top of hills, with obstacles to maneuver around every couple of feet.... Sure I got paid well, but a lot of my time was wasted, a major drop in productivity.

e.g.;

Lots of crap lawns = less time
less time = dead end

lots of good lawns = more time
more time = more lawns

Right now I'm extremely picky. I wont even quote most lawns, and it's one of the best changes I have ever made.


ANYWAY,
For me, I always retain approximately 77% of my previous clients every year, and I receive 37% new business every year (mostly) from referrals.

All of my clients had an optional survey on their contract, but most were too ignorant to fill it out... One of the questions was, "how did you find out about us?"

One customer wrote, "I saw you cutting grass, I walked over and said hello can you cut my grass next year, you said ok" :D




Forgot what we're talking about here... Off topic yet?

I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?

jymie 08-31-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz (Post 115201)
I'd like to let at least 1 client in particular go, how did u go about letting a client go?

I'm sorry but you will need to get another service, I must down size my area of service.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Hello, from TEXAS
sanchez5
10-17-2014 09:56 PM
Yesterday 11:36 PM
by SGL1
2 167
Pda
stevef1201
10-18-2014 02:05 PM
Yesterday 11:27 PM
by SGL1
2 131
Sunny Beach Tennis...
SGL1
Yesterday 11:24 PM
Yesterday 11:24 PM
by SGL1
0 26
how to fi d commercial...
mchampion319
Yesterday 09:50 PM
Yesterday 09:50 PM
by mchampion319
0 32
What parts do you carry...
Just for Cuts
10-17-2014 09:08 AM
Yesterday 08:23 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
17 349
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
03-22-2014 09:12 AM
Yesterday 05:51 PM
by stevef1201
146 10,909
Hello From Tennessee
mrmann901
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
10-17-2014 10:02 PM
by mrmann901
0 135
Organic Lawn Care...
NHray
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
10-17-2014 06:05 PM
by NHray
0 163
Jungle to Beautiful
stevef1201
10-17-2014 09:54 AM
10-17-2014 04:56 PM
by stevef1201
2 213
This sucks...
Matther777
09-18-2014 04:56 PM
10-17-2014 04:54 PM
by stevef1201
13 1,992
Cement mixer
KevinsLawns
10-15-2014 08:03 PM
10-17-2014 04:27 PM
by Just for Cuts
6 301
Hello ! New guy Rob here
RWorthley1
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
10-17-2014 04:05 PM
by RWorthley1
0 147
first year update
cmdlawncare
08-12-2014 05:41 PM
10-17-2014 03:46 PM
by cmdlawncare
3 1,120
Snow Blowing
gwilson98
10-12-2014 02:21 PM
10-17-2014 02:51 PM
by Steve
6 505
questions on order to...
jack2048
10-13-2014 11:15 AM
10-17-2014 08:48 AM
by Just for Cuts
14 550
Spreading Weeds?
WesleySnips
07-27-2014 09:46 PM
10-17-2014 07:49 AM
by SGL1
6 804
Grasswhoopins.com Anyone...
GRASS WHOOPINS
06-21-2011 11:38 PM
10-16-2014 01:30 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
42 9,144
I Want to buy old...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-10-2014 10:04 PM
10-15-2014 09:12 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
6 547
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
10-15-2014 06:43 PM
by NHray
1,190 339,792
Workmans compensation...
CDLAWNCARE
10-15-2014 08:05 AM
10-15-2014 02:57 PM
by Steve
2 290
Do you find weed eating...
chuck2s
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
10-15-2014 02:10 PM
by chuck2s
0 256
Incorporating &...
WesleySnips
10-01-2014 09:39 PM
10-15-2014 01:37 PM
by kslawn
20 1,348
Falling into business
stellarmowing
09-28-2014 04:35 PM
10-15-2014 05:57 AM
by ringahding1
8 1,367
Apartment Complex and...
lxarth
06-22-2011 01:10 PM
10-14-2014 06:25 PM
by jrs.landscaping
42 9,427
I LOVE hedge trimming
stevef1201
10-13-2014 09:05 AM
10-14-2014 01:06 PM
by Steve
5 387
Help with seeder...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-09-2014 07:39 AM
10-13-2014 08:09 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
5 550
The Market watch
WesleySnips
10-12-2014 08:47 PM
10-13-2014 05:40 PM
by SGL1
3 396
Help pricing a large...
Bradcook21
10-07-2014 06:49 AM
10-13-2014 02:00 PM
by Steve
7 740
leaf removal
Double J LLC
10-03-2014 04:24 PM
10-13-2014 06:46 AM
by Billy Goat
19 1,359
Acerage Rake
acrajchel
04-23-2014 07:23 PM
10-12-2014 10:53 PM
by SGL1
2 714
John Deere z235 Deck
WesleySnips
09-29-2014 06:02 PM
10-12-2014 06:20 PM
by kslawn
25 1,506
Credit card contract
SGL1
10-06-2014 05:31 PM
10-12-2014 03:40 PM
by SGL1
18 928
Truck craft dump bed...
ExtremeLawncareServices
10-04-2014 08:41 PM
10-10-2014 11:35 AM
by Steve
7 833
First Time River Rock...
berryjam
10-09-2014 06:09 PM
10-10-2014 11:08 AM
by Steve
2 485
West cost lawn prices
SGlawncare
10-09-2014 09:51 PM
10-10-2014 11:03 AM
by Steve
1 481
Question?what should I...
dalvan0
09-24-2014 11:10 PM
10-09-2014 05:58 PM
by kslawn
28 2,000
Mowing the hills
EyeCatchersNow
07-08-2014 12:22 PM
10-09-2014 04:19 PM
by Just for Cuts
25 2,858
snowplowing
jshak40
09-01-2014 07:20 AM
10-09-2014 02:21 PM
by Steve
25 3,506
Changing Scag Freedom Z...
maggiedavidson
10-06-2014 12:24 PM
10-08-2014 06:34 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
7 720
The most dangerous part...
Steve
10-06-2014 02:45 PM
10-07-2014 04:18 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
3 695
Good Mower
jack2048
10-04-2014 05:34 PM
10-07-2014 01:05 PM
by Steve
7 786
Mulching fad killing...
Tree geek
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
10-06-2014 08:37 PM
by Tree geek
0 603
Help a brother...
tbtigers03
09-28-2014 11:41 AM
10-06-2014 02:53 PM
by Steve
11 1,326
Update on LawnsAway and...
Ian Lovejoy
09-28-2014 10:24 AM
10-06-2014 01:30 PM
by Steve
4 1,196
A GREAT Story
stevef1201
10-02-2014 10:33 AM
10-06-2014 12:50 PM
by Steve
6 1,003
Look out Bob Villa -...
Mr Dave
09-30-2014 10:06 AM
10-03-2014 07:26 PM
by kslawn
6 1,143
Kohler command carb...
ExtremeLawncareServices
09-21-2014 03:09 PM
10-03-2014 07:12 PM
by kslawn
27 2,101
thinking about throwing...
veteranslawncaresystems
09-09-2014 10:31 PM
10-03-2014 03:37 PM
by ExtremeLawncareServices
14 2,669
Sprinkler head guards...
Sprinkler Buddy
09-27-2014 04:55 AM
10-03-2014 05:42 AM
by Sprinkler Buddy
8 1,289
new to the forum
SGlawncare
09-16-2014 11:20 PM
10-02-2014 09:53 PM
by Steve
5 1,734
Read more about these lawn care business marketing categories.
General Business:
GopherHaul, Podcast
How to Estimate - Services To Offer:
Aeration, Apartment / Condo, bed edging, Color Change Plantings, Dethatching, Edging, Fall Leaf Cleanups, Foreclosed Homes, Gutter Cleaning, Hardscaping, Hedge Trimming, Home Safety Inspection, Irrigation, Landscape Project, Lawn Mower Repair, Mowing, Mulch Jobs, Outdoor decoration, Parking Lot Cleanups, Pet Waste Removal, Pressure Washing, Property Management, Snow plowing, Stump Grinding, Tree Removal
How to Estimate Jobs:
Lawn Care Business:
Barter, Bikini Lawn Care, Business Failure, Business loan, Business Plan, Debt, Debt Collection, Estimate or Proposal Form, Franchise, Fuel surcharge, How to sell, Insurance, Job Tracking, Lawn Care Contract, Lawn Care Customer Survey, Lawn Care Uniform, Lawn Care Videos, Operational Costs, Overhead Costs, Prepay, Pricing, Start up, Tiger Time Lawn Care,
Lawn Care Business Books:
Lawn Care Customers:
Buying customers, Commercial Customers, Customer Retention, How to get, Residential Customers
Lawn Care Employees:
1 Man Lawn Crew, Bonus Pay, training, Your First Employee
lawn care equipment:
bed edger, Lawn Care Truck, Leaf Sweeper, Mower, New Arrival, Trailer, UltraVac
Lawn Care Marketing:
Billboard, Brochure, Business Card, Community Projects To Promote Your Business, Coupons, Cross Promotion / Synergy, Direct Mail, Door hanger, door to door, Free Giveaway Contest, Free Lawn Care Flyer Template, Gift or Discount Cards, home show, Internet, Lawn Care Business Sales Letter, Lawn Care Logo, Lawn Care Marketing, Lawn Care Truck & Trailer Signs, Lawn Care Website, Lawn Signs, Magazine Ad, Magnets, Mailing list, Marketing on Craigslist.com, Newspaper Ads, Parade, Postcards, publicity stunt, Referrals, Review My Lawn Care Marketing Material, t-shirt, Welcoming Kit, Word Of Mouth
Seasonal Promotion Ideas:
4th of July, Armed Forces Day, Christmas, Election Day, Fall, Halloween, Memorial Day, Spring, Summer, Valentine's Day, Veteran's Day, Winter:
Software:
Estimation Software, Landscaper Software, Landscaping Business Software, Landscaping Estimate Software, Landscaping Software, Lawn Care Business Software, Lawn Care Estimating Software, Lawn Care Software, Mowing Software
Uncategorized:
Video:
Website:
Search Engine Optimization
» Lawn Care Business Discussion Categories
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy