Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

» Welcome to the Gopher Lawn Care Business Forum
GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum (http://www.gopherforum.com/forum-index.php)
-   General Talk (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Need help figure out how to make a bid for lawn service (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=15571)

JMBonesteel 01-26-2012 03:43 PM

Need help figure out how to make a bid for lawn service
 
Hi Everyone,

I am new at this. My name is James. Ppl called me, Jimbo. I am deaf but wear cochlear implant. I been having trouble finding job dues to my hearing. So, my church started help me to start a small business doing any odd job for members at our church. Now, I am getting more people requesting me to do lawn service as they like the work I do at the church and heard great things I do. Some of them own a business that has grass that will need to be mow. I am learning. It would be great if I can get some help how to figure out the measurement by Cents or dollars per square foot. I saw there is a calulator but I dont understand it. I wonder if anyone has easy way to do the measurement. Please let me know. Thanks!

Jimbo

Steve 01-26-2012 04:13 PM

Hey Jim,

Welcome to our forum.

Are you currently mowing lawns? If so, can you measure the area you are mowing? Then divide that by the amount you are charging and you will get a rate per sq ft.

If you do this for all the lawns you are mowing, you can average out the amount you are charging to get a better idea what you should be charging new customers.

Does this help?

JMBonesteel 01-26-2012 09:07 PM

Hi Steve,

At the church, its depend on paying issue. Sometime they give me alot, other times they give me small. But other members of the church that I did, I started out at $13.75 an hours. 3 lawns take me 3 hours, 3 take me 1 and half hours, and 1 take me 4 hours. Some members gave me more then what I charge them while other just pay actual amount. Now, they are spreading words out for me. I get a called from some businesses ppl asking about a bid so they can look at it. They also said they dont want the hours, they wanted in CENTS. lol I am beaten my brain out trying to figure it out.

Jimbo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 100724)
Hey Jim,

Welcome to our forum.

Are you currently mowing lawns? If so, can you measure the area you are mowing? Then divide that by the amount you are charging and you will get a rate per sq ft.

If you do this for all the lawns you are mowing, you can average out the amount you are charging to get a better idea what you should be charging new customers.

Does this help?


CHEESE2009 01-27-2012 01:57 AM

I suppose that they are looking for more of a set payment method that they can pay you, instead of something that might change over time depending on your efficiency.

If I hired someone to charge me for their time, I'd be a little nervous about them taking advantage of my wallet.

It may be hard to figure out how much fuel you are consuming per each piece of equipment, I forget my method for that, but that calculator is decent at finding out quite a bit.

Make sure to always cover your expenses, regardless if they are short term (gas) or long term (repairs/new equipment).

Try it out, and let us know what results you get :D

jymie 01-27-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBonesteel (Post 100748)
Hi Steve,

At the church, its depend on paying issue. Sometime they give me alot, other times they give me small. But other members of the church that I did, I started out at $13.75 an hours. 3 lawns take me 3 hours, 3 take me 1 and half hours, and 1 take me 4 hours. Some members gave me more then what I charge them while other just pay actual amount. Now, they are spreading words out for me. I get a called from some businesses ppl asking about a bid so they can look at it. They also said they dont want the hours, they wanted in CENTS. lol I am beaten my brain out trying to figure it out.

Jimbo

$13.75 an hour? that is dirt cheap. The national rate is more like $40 - $50 an hour. You can also use the calculators on the forum as well located here.

Steve 01-27-2012 04:10 PM

Jim,

Let's keep this simple. Let's grasp this topic and then move on with the topic to a higher level so you can grow.

Give me a list of three to five customers you service. Tell me the sq ft of the property, how long it takes you, and how much you charge for the mowings.

I will show you how to do this with your actual figures and then we will move forwards.

JMBonesteel 01-27-2012 06:18 PM

Hi Steve,

That is just thing, I dont know the square foot. I just know by the look of it compare to other lawn work I did. I know one property that I actually took the measurement yesterday. Just lawn only 54.666 ft X 120ft. With push mower is what I have take me about 40 minutes. no around house but two large maple trees. That is all. Then there is one on the other side of the house take me good hour 102.675 ft X 120 ft. Then behind the house there is piece of lawn that is 30.250 ft X 80ft take me good 20 to 25 minutes to push mow with front wheel drive.

Jimbo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 100802)
Jim,

Let's keep this simple. Let's grasp this topic and then move on with the topic to a higher level so you can grow.

Give me a list of three to five customers you service. Tell me the sq ft of the property, how long it takes you, and how much you charge for the mowings.

I will show you how to do this with your actual figures and then we will move forwards.


jymie 01-27-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBonesteel (Post 100817)
Hi Steve,

That is just thing, I dont know the square foot. I just know by the look of it compare to other lawn work I did. I know one property that I actually took the measurement yesterday. Just lawn only 54.666 ft X 120ft. With push mower is what I have take me about 40 minutes. no around house but two large maple trees. That is all. Then there is one on the other side of the house take me good hour 102.675 ft X 120 ft. Then behind the house there is piece of lawn that is 30.250 ft X 80ft take me good 20 to 25 minutes to push mow with front wheel drive.

Jimbo

Using this example you multiply the two distances to get the square footage.

55 X 120 = 6600

103 x 120 = 12360

31 x 80 = 2480

Total Sq Footage = 21440

Add them together, this is the total sq feet you would use to calculate your charge with the calculator.

JMBonesteel 01-29-2012 06:04 PM

Thanks, Scott. But I have the Square Foot figure out but what will be the charge that I should be given to them? That is my questions. If you were to mow this lawn, how much would you charge them?

Jimbo

Quote:

Originally Posted by jymie (Post 100825)
Using this example you multiply the two distances to get the square footage.

55 X 120 = 6600

103 x 120 = 12360

31 x 80 = 2480

Total Sq Footage = 21440

Add them together, this is the total sq feet you would use to calculate your charge with the calculator.


jymie 01-29-2012 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have you tried the calculators on this site?

Lawn Calculators

All you have to do is input your information in and press the button.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
John Deere 667a
acrajchel
Today 10:00 AM
Today 10:07 AM
by acrajchel
1 24
Dane Scag
Steve
08-28-2015 12:29 PM
08-28-2015 12:29 PM
by Steve
0 58
24 and 50 acre cemetery...
grassmasterswilson
08-18-2015 10:09 AM
08-26-2015 02:42 PM
by Steve
13 493
Rookie business question...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-05-2015 05:20 PM
08-26-2015 02:33 PM
by Steve
3 378
How to clean an old...
rmccutchan
08-16-2015 05:23 PM
08-26-2015 02:31 PM
by Steve
9 381
how to make customers...
Bradcook21
05-27-2015 05:04 PM
08-26-2015 12:25 PM
by kslawn
19 3,697
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-25-2015 11:31 AM
by acrajchel
9 2,445
Big mowing job
Bradcook21
07-30-2015 03:57 PM
08-25-2015 11:23 AM
by acrajchel
17 952
ZTR Review
Shark1611
05-31-2012 10:42 PM
08-25-2015 11:16 AM
by acrajchel
8 3,724
Hi Everyone
mmays29
08-25-2015 08:16 AM
08-25-2015 11:15 AM
by Steve
3 101
Should I buy this Exmark...
googus
07-03-2015 09:22 AM
08-25-2015 11:08 AM
by acrajchel
11 1,151
Old Business New Owner
Toyman
06-17-2014 08:57 PM
08-25-2015 11:00 AM
by acrajchel
17 1,551
Hi everyone! We're new...
alltrades
08-22-2015 12:46 PM
08-24-2015 10:41 AM
by Steve
2 151
CAn I get some help with...
rootytalbot
08-11-2015 06:14 PM
08-24-2015 10:36 AM
by Steve
12 479
Hi
Wemowjunction
08-16-2015 08:45 PM
08-20-2015 01:46 PM
by Steve
11 380
Drive cable bad?
SGL1
08-10-2015 11:16 PM
08-20-2015 01:41 PM
by Steve
5 342
Hey there everyone
Cole8999
08-16-2015 04:42 PM
08-18-2015 04:35 PM
by Steve
3 235
Help with a truck
bdodson89
04-27-2015 08:15 PM
08-18-2015 11:47 AM
by rmccutchan
7 944
I need some aeration...
rootytalbot
08-14-2015 12:32 PM
08-18-2015 07:59 AM
by rootytalbot
7 361
Say Hello !!!
Steve
03-19-2007 11:18 AM
08-17-2015 04:34 PM
by Steve
1,229 405,906
Whats wrong with this...
GreenWorx
07-28-2015 07:56 PM
08-16-2015 11:42 PM
by rmccutchan
3 573
What's your next...
Steve
05-15-2015 11:54 AM
08-16-2015 11:09 PM
by SC93
16 1,213
These are the days on...
ExtremeLawncareServices
01-11-2015 10:41 AM
08-14-2015 11:08 PM
by scaypa
95 11,417
New Biz
kufnerins
08-14-2015 05:52 PM
08-14-2015 08:56 PM
by Steve
1 200
Chemical and Fertilizer...
rmccutchan
08-09-2015 10:36 PM
08-13-2015 11:11 PM
by rmccutchan
6 386
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
08-13-2015 02:10 PM
by rootytalbot
12 2,051
Hello all thinking about...
bernie
08-11-2015 04:28 PM
08-13-2015 10:33 AM
by Steve
8 350
Logo Help Font Color
LZLC
08-08-2015 09:26 PM
08-12-2015 03:50 PM
by Steve
4 328
Pricing issue
Mr. Mow
07-07-2015 06:15 AM
08-12-2015 12:30 AM
by Jeff1
20 1,780
My new mower
Chilehead
08-08-2015 09:09 PM
08-11-2015 08:36 PM
by Chilehead
9 488
Thought this was a good...
Just for Cuts
08-06-2015 03:38 PM
08-11-2015 10:54 AM
by Steve
8 490
Plowing pricing
jcurr33
08-08-2015 04:58 PM
08-11-2015 10:51 AM
by Steve
6 453
Should I upgrade my back...
googus
08-07-2015 10:50 AM
08-11-2015 10:44 AM
by googus
7 416
Keeping it clean....
Wolf4dk
08-09-2015 11:31 PM
08-11-2015 06:34 AM
by Chilehead
7 344
I have been rude and...
biglee
06-15-2015 10:11 PM
08-10-2015 09:41 PM
by stallman419
12 2,729
Newbie Saying Hi.
LZLC
08-08-2015 09:22 PM
08-10-2015 11:20 AM
by Steve
1 242
How much do I charge to...
Chris Herrera
08-06-2015 09:30 PM
08-09-2015 11:31 AM
by biglee
2 385
scag SWZT review!
mattthelawnguy
07-23-2015 02:28 PM
08-07-2015 03:26 PM
by Steve
17 1,112
Best commercial contract...
sanlanct
08-04-2015 12:18 PM
08-06-2015 06:20 AM
by sanlanct
2 374
I came across this on a...
rootytalbot
08-02-2015 11:04 AM
08-05-2015 08:17 PM
by SC93
9 614
Help bidding a hedge...
hopolb33
08-02-2015 06:09 PM
08-05-2015 02:07 PM
by Steve
3 416
recycler toro 22"
rvezakis
08-03-2015 12:10 PM
08-04-2015 11:47 AM
by Steve
1 295
Read more about these lawn care business marketing categories.
General Business:
GopherHaul, Podcast
How to Estimate - Services To Offer:
Aeration, Apartment / Condo, bed edging, Color Change Plantings, Dethatching, Edging, Fall Leaf Cleanups, Foreclosed Homes, Gutter Cleaning, Hardscaping, Hedge Trimming, Home Safety Inspection, Irrigation, Landscape Project, Lawn Mower Repair, Mowing, Mulch Jobs, Outdoor decoration, Parking Lot Cleanups, Pet Waste Removal, Pressure Washing, Property Management, Snow plowing, Stump Grinding, Tree Removal
How to Estimate Jobs:
Lawn Care Business:
Barter, Bikini Lawn Care, Business Failure, Business loan, Business Plan, Debt, Debt Collection, Estimate or Proposal Form, Franchise, Fuel surcharge, How to sell, Insurance, Job Tracking, Lawn Care Contract, Lawn Care Customer Survey, Lawn Care Uniform, Lawn Care Videos, Operational Costs, Overhead Costs, Prepay, Pricing, Start up, Tiger Time Lawn Care,
Lawn Care Business Books:
Lawn Care Customers:
Buying customers, Commercial Customers, Customer Retention, How to get, Residential Customers
Lawn Care Employees:
1 Man Lawn Crew, Bonus Pay, training, Your First Employee
lawn care equipment:
bed edger, Lawn Care Truck, Leaf Sweeper, Mower, New Arrival, Trailer, UltraVac
Lawn Care Marketing:
Billboard, Brochure, Business Card, Community Projects To Promote Your Business, Coupons, Cross Promotion / Synergy, Direct Mail, Door hanger, door to door, Free Giveaway Contest, Free Lawn Care Flyer Template, Gift or Discount Cards, home show, Internet, Lawn Care Business Sales Letter, Lawn Care Logo, Lawn Care Marketing, Lawn Care Truck & Trailer Signs, Lawn Care Website, Lawn Signs, Magazine Ad, Magnets, Mailing list, Marketing on Craigslist.com, Newspaper Ads, Parade, Postcards, publicity stunt, Referrals, Review My Lawn Care Marketing Material, t-shirt, Welcoming Kit, Word Of Mouth
Seasonal Promotion Ideas:
4th of July, Armed Forces Day, Christmas, Election Day, Fall, Halloween, Memorial Day, Spring, Summer, Valentine's Day, Veteran's Day, Winter:
Software:
Estimation Software, Landscaper Software, Landscaping Business Software, Landscaping Estimate Software, Landscaping Software, Lawn Care Business Software, Lawn Care Estimating Software, Lawn Care Software, Mowing Software
Uncategorized:
Video:
Website:
Search Engine Optimization
» Lawn Care Business Discussion Categories
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy