Lawn Care Business Forum Lawn Care Business Book Lawn Care Business Blog Lawn Care Software
Home Forum Contract & Flyer Templates Blog Software Videos Podcast Calculators / Estimators Store Mower Review Design It Yourself Lawn Business School

Go Back   GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

» Welcome to the Gopher Lawn Care Business Forum
GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum

GopherHaul Landscaping & Lawn Care Business Marketing Forum (http://www.gopherforum.com/forum-index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The New Old Man (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=15466)

gil500 01-13-2012 08:39 PM

The New Old Man
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I have been working for a local Lawn Service provider for the past 5 years and just beginning to get enough equipment to take on a few customers of my own. I was the victim of getting too old so I was retired after 26 years with the worlds largest Oil Field Services Co. I was unsuccessful in finding another job right away so when this 82 year old man who had been mowing for over 45 years asked me if I would be interested in working part time I jumped at the chance. That was 5 years ago and now at 68 I have acquired a few customers of my own and still work full time for the OLD MAN. I just got a new (used) trailer and created my Logo and hand painted it on the side.

I thank everyone on this forum because I have learned so much.

Thanks for being so generous and helpful with your advise, comments, and all the suggestions and forms.

TiedemanLLC 01-13-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gil500 (Post 99852)
Hi, I have been working for a local Lawn Service provider for the past 5 years and just beginning to get enough equipment to take on a few customers of my own. I was the victim of getting too old so I was retired after 26 years with the worlds largest Oil Field Services Co. I was unsuccessful in finding another job right away so when this 82 year old man who had been mowing for over 45 years asked me if I would be interested in working part time I jumped at the chance. That was 5 years ago and now at 68 I have acquired a few customers of my own and still work full time for the OLD MAN. I just got a new (used) trailer and created my Logo and hand painted it on the side.

I thank everyone on this forum because I have learned so much.

Thanks for being so generous and helpful with your advise, comments, and all the suggestions and forms.

congrats on the new adventure.

Couple questions, did you talk with the old man that you were going to branch out on your own? And if yes or no, how did it go?

SECTLANDSCAPING 01-13-2012 09:34 PM

I like the high sides on that trailer. You did a good job painting too.

Hedgemaster 01-13-2012 09:50 PM

Great. Another young punk with a mower.



:D


Congrats and all the best to you.

You should consider picking up a slightly used lion, or tiger for that trailer!
Got a client who hasn't paid their bill? Toss 'em in! Cage match!!!

:D

gil500 01-14-2012 09:40 AM

Branching Out
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiedemanLLC (Post 99854)
congrats on the new adventure.

Couple questions, did you talk with the old man that you were going to branch out on your own? And if yes or no, how did it go?



Yes, he already knew I was mowing for a few neighbors when he first asked me if I would help him. I keep him informed about any new customers and if he has nothing going at the moment he will help me. We get along just great.

gil500 01-14-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SECTLANDSCAPING (Post 99859)
I like the high sides on that trailer. You did a good job painting too.

THANK YOU
It was my first and probably last attempt at sign painting. The peel and stick vinyl lettering worked pretty good. The best thing about this trailer is how easy it is to lower and raise the ramp with the Elegator assist spring.

gil500 01-14-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgemaster (Post 99860)
Great. Another young punk with a mower.



:D


Congrats and all the best to you.

You should consider picking up a slightly used lion, or tiger for that trailer!
Got a client who hasn't paid their bill? Toss 'em in! Cage match!!!

:D

THANK YOU
I like the tall sides because I don't have a garage or secure place to park it and all the equipment I have stays on the trailer.

dpld 01-14-2012 11:01 AM

good luck and continued success.:)

SECTLANDSCAPING 01-14-2012 11:07 AM

Whats interesting here is a lot of start ups are teenagers. In this case we have the exact opposite. I think theres a advantage for a older fella considering property owners are 45-60 anyways. I could see how that would help connect with clients and rule out the irresponsibility perception of young people. The experience of life has its own advantages that cant be matched.

TiedemanLLC 01-14-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gil500 (Post 99868)
Yes, he already knew I was mowing for a few neighbors when he first asked me if I would help him. I keep him informed about any new customers and if he has nothing going at the moment he will help me. We get along just great.



Thats great to hear. Has he helped you build up the business, or is he more of an off hands approach by letting you learn on your own?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

» Recent Threads
  RatingTitle, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views
Review of our lawn care...
Lawnline
07-12-2016 06:40 PM
Yesterday 10:58 AM
by Lawnline
6 1,796
Start My Own Business?
mowandblow1980
01-12-2016 07:43 PM
08-25-2016 12:55 PM
by Steve
19 2,127
fliers
joshp
08-19-2016 03:23 PM
08-25-2016 07:16 AM
by Chilehead
6 308
Looking for new host
Just for Cuts
11-26-2015 06:58 AM
08-24-2016 09:05 PM
by Stephen Alberts
10 1,899
Facebook advertising
Just for Cuts
12-13-2015 07:49 AM
08-24-2016 08:59 PM
by Stephen Alberts
14 13,083
Landscaper taking on odd...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 06:57 PM
08-24-2016 10:27 AM
by Steve
6 515
Breaking into commercial...
SGL1
08-19-2016 07:02 AM
08-24-2016 10:12 AM
by mowandblow1980
7 320
Snow Plow
acrajchel
08-17-2016 10:21 AM
08-22-2016 11:21 AM
by Steve
5 303
Quarter Acre Woodland...
ew411
08-16-2016 06:50 AM
08-18-2016 12:25 PM
by Steve
4 291
Bidding Bushhogging
acrajchel
08-15-2016 11:52 AM
08-17-2016 05:32 PM
by acrajchel
4 285
Hello From the Florida...
KevinShuman
08-15-2016 08:57 PM
08-16-2016 01:52 PM
by SC93
2 279
I'm making stupid money...
WarriorLandscapingCAN
08-07-2016 07:07 PM
08-16-2016 12:42 AM
by SC93
5 572
A quick Intro
BLE
08-14-2016 05:17 PM
08-15-2016 10:54 AM
by acrajchel
2 279
New Customer - Gettting...
acrajchel
08-05-2016 05:00 PM
08-15-2016 10:52 AM
by acrajchel
4 546
helping out a friend set...
Doug D
08-13-2016 11:33 AM
08-15-2016 09:45 AM
by Steve
1 291
Small bed job
Bradcook21
08-09-2016 09:52 PM
08-10-2016 03:51 PM
by Steve
1 409
Hello from NoVa
jtwlawn
08-03-2016 11:20 AM
08-09-2016 10:45 AM
by jtwlawn
4 542
How much to charge for...
jymie
03-31-2013 05:59 PM
08-08-2016 04:33 PM
by Steve
27 6,637
Needing a website built
burtle
06-17-2015 09:02 AM
08-07-2016 10:21 AM
by Just for Cuts
18 19,803
New Site Hows it look
Infinitelawn
03-16-2015 10:32 AM
08-07-2016 08:37 AM
by Lawnline
8 11,276
Hey guys! Greetings from...
thegardener
08-05-2016 05:45 AM
08-05-2016 03:26 PM
by Steve
1 453
First Time Bidding-Need...
capitallawncrew
08-01-2016 08:30 AM
08-03-2016 09:52 AM
by Steve
3 587
Show us your stripes
Just for Cuts
05-21-2015 03:07 PM
08-01-2016 08:28 PM
by ExclusiveLawns
7 3,785
String trim BEFORE mow...
Mr. Mow
04-12-2015 08:13 AM
07-31-2016 10:36 AM
by joshp
13 5,929
Read more about these lawn care business marketing categories.
General Business:
GopherHaul, Podcast
How to Estimate - Services To Offer:
Aeration, Apartment / Condo, bed edging, Color Change Plantings, Dethatching, Edging, Fall Leaf Cleanups, Foreclosed Homes, Gutter Cleaning, Hardscaping, Hedge Trimming, Home Safety Inspection, Irrigation, Landscape Project, Lawn Mower Repair, Mowing, Mulch Jobs, Outdoor decoration, Parking Lot Cleanups, Pet Waste Removal, Pressure Washing, Property Management, Snow plowing, Stump Grinding, Tree Removal
How to Estimate Jobs:
Lawn Care Business:
Barter, Bikini Lawn Care, Business Failure, Business loan, Business Plan, Debt, Debt Collection, Estimate or Proposal Form, Franchise, Fuel surcharge, How to sell, Insurance, Job Tracking, Lawn Care Contract, Lawn Care Customer Survey, Lawn Care Uniform, Lawn Care Videos, Operational Costs, Overhead Costs, Prepay, Pricing, Start up, Tiger Time Lawn Care,
Lawn Care Business Books:
Lawn Care Customers:
Buying customers, Commercial Customers, Customer Retention, How to get, Residential Customers
Lawn Care Employees:
1 Man Lawn Crew, Bonus Pay, training, Your First Employee
lawn care equipment:
bed edger, Lawn Care Truck, Leaf Sweeper, Mower, New Arrival, Trailer, UltraVac
Lawn Care Marketing:
Billboard, Brochure, Business Card, Community Projects To Promote Your Business, Coupons, Cross Promotion / Synergy, Direct Mail, Door hanger, door to door, Free Giveaway Contest, Free Lawn Care Flyer Template, Gift or Discount Cards, home show, Internet, Lawn Care Business Sales Letter, Lawn Care Logo, Lawn Care Marketing, Lawn Care Truck & Trailer Signs, Lawn Care Website, Lawn Signs, Magazine Ad, Magnets, Mailing list, Marketing on Craigslist.com, Newspaper Ads, Parade, Postcards, publicity stunt, Referrals, Review My Lawn Care Marketing Material, t-shirt, Welcoming Kit, Word Of Mouth
Seasonal Promotion Ideas:
4th of July, Armed Forces Day, Christmas, Election Day, Fall, Halloween, Memorial Day, Spring, Summer, Valentine's Day, Veteran's Day, Winter:
Software:
Estimation Software, Landscaper Software, Landscaping Business Software, Landscaping Estimate Software, Landscaping Software, Lawn Care Business Software, Lawn Care Estimating Software, Lawn Care Software, Mowing Software
Uncategorized:
Video:
Website:
Search Engine Optimization
» Lawn Care Business Discussion Categories
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.1.0

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.


(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

(C) 2011 Riggs Publications - Terms of use & Privacy Policy