DIY Sprayer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Sprayer

Does anyone have experience doing a DIY Lawn Sprayer. I've been looking at Skid Sprayers, and a cheap one is still close to $2000. I already have a tank, and am looking to make into a sprayer. For cost reasons, I've been looking at a 12V DC 5.5GPM 60 PSI NorthStar Chemical Pump (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8583_200578583). NorthStar also has a Pressure Regulator with a Bypass for Agitation, as well as an Agitation Kit.

These pumps are On Demand and rated for Continuous Duty, but if I run the Agitation, it will make the pump run constantly, whereas without it, it has a shutoff switch when the outlet reaches the 60 PSI, saving wear and tear on the motor and pump. So I have several questions that someone with more knowledge than me on the matter might be able to answer.

1) Do I really need agitation if I will be using this system to spray liquids mixed in water, such as Three Way, Momentum, and Q4? The tank is 125 gallons and the contents will not sit in it for more than a day once mixed. I will also be spraying residential, so the water/chemical mix will slosh around inside the tank every 20-30 minutes while driving between properties.

2) How would I hookup this 12V DC pump to operate in the back of a truck? I know that they make pre-manufactured skid sprayers with electric pumps like this, so there has to be a common way to do this. Do these systems simply tie into the electrical system of the truck somewhere? Will this run down the battery of the truck (it's a diesel, so I need extra battery juice to warm the plugs to start)? Would I have to run this to the truck battery and leave the truck running while in use? Is there a heavy duty battery coupled with some sort of charging system (solar?) that could run this system?

3) Where do I get a good hose reel with the proper hosing for this application?

4) What is a good gun/wand for this? Lesco shower gun?

5) If I use a shower gun, it soaks the lawn (?), as opposed to a mist like in a backpack sprayer. So, I would have to mix the chemical lighter in the water and use more water for this application?

Thanks!

1) Do I really need agitation if I will be using this system to spray liquids mixed in water, such as Three Way, Momentum, and Q4? The tank is 125 gallons and the contents will not sit in it for more than a day once mixed. I will also be spraying residential, so the water/chemical mix will slosh around inside the tank every 20-30 minutes while driving between properties.
    Can you write to Northern Tool and ask them about that. There is a chance they may not know for sure, but it would be worth asking.

2) How would I hookup this 12V DC pump to operate in the back of a truck?
    It says it needs 17 amps to operate. I would think you'd want to run a power line with an inline fuse directly to your battery. Making sure the line you use is rated for at least that amount of amps.

Should you leave the truck running? I would while using the pump.

Is there a heavy duty battery coupled with some sort of charging system (solar?) that could run this system?
    I'd think it would be cheaper for you to use your truck's engine as the charger.

There are a lot of variables involved with this, for instance, how long would the pump be used for? That would help you determine the amount of energy draw you would have and then if you were to want to experiment with solar panels to recharge a battery, you could then figure what size panel(s) you'd need.

3) Where do I get a good hose reel with the proper hosing for this application?

4) What is a good gun/wand for this? Lesco shower gun?
    Does Northern Tools sell these additional pieces? I'd think they would.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X