No announcement yet.

Best Push Mower You Have Used? Plus Bonus Rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. I "believed the hype". Assuming I get it back from being repaired(15 days now) I am taking it to a guy who buys used gear and dumping it. I will take a huge loss but I am scared to even use it now. I have close to 50 places now so I cannot have something that is this unreliable.
    Should be able to find a used belt drive walk behind in the price range for what that Toro cost new. I find 15/16hp 36" on Craigslist here in the $800 to $1200 range fairly often. The increase in productivity will make life a lot easier if you have that many places to mow.
    Evansville Lawn Mowing
    Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

Chili, did you ever have trouble with that Honda leaving behind "stragglers?"

That's what I call uncut grass blades. This one I have is bad. I've sharpened blades once (only 3 weeks old) but it's bad about it. Granted, we've had too much rain and grass is high but we've been cutting 3-3.5" and still leaving grass behind.

Comment

Chili, did you ever have trouble with that Honda leaving behind "stragglers?"

That's what I call uncut grass blades. This one I have is bad. I've sharpened blades once (only 3 weeks old) but it's bad about it. Granted, we've had too much rain and grass is high but we've been cutting 3-3.5" and still leaving grass behind.
        Nope, no stragglers at all. Granted, I am mowing warm season turf (bermuda/zoysia/centipede) at 2" tall every 10 days. I also take my time if the turf is well irrigated and lush, but go a bit quicker if dry and crispy.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Nope, no stragglers at all. Granted, I am mowing warm season turf (bermuda/zoysia/centipede) at 2" tall every 10 days. I also take my time if the turf is well irrigated and lush, but go a bit quicker if dry and crispy.
          Yeah, beginning to think Northern Tool got a bad batch. And yeah, walking slow and it may help some. Part of the problem though is I have a buddy helping me and he can't handle the work/heat and hurries to get done.

Comment

Ive worked for some big LCOs in the area and have used all kinds of brands of push mowers, as well as what I have/had with my own LCO. Ive used yBravo, eXmark, Toro, Honda, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy, and 1-2 more I am forgetting about. Ive never seen any of them make it more than 1-2 seasons except an eXmark and a YBravo. But both of these have their drawbacks as well, mainly price and weight, they are heavy. I got rid of all my push mow accounts and use my 36" Turf Tracer now, but if I ever needed a push mower again I would just buy a cheap Troy Bilt and use it for 1-2 years and then buy another.

Comment

Ive worked for some big LCOs in the area and have used all kinds of brands of push mowers, as well as what I have/had with my own LCO. Ive used yBravo, eXmark, Toro, Honda, Troy Bilt, Lawn Boy, and 1-2 more I am forgetting about. Ive never seen any of them make it more than 1-2 seasons except an eXmark and a YBravo. But both of these have their drawbacks as well, mainly price and weight, they are heavy. I got rid of all my push mow accounts and use my 36" Turf Tracer now, but if I ever needed a push mower again I would just buy a cheap Troy Bilt and use it for 1-2 years and then buy another.
              Ha I just bought a cheap Troy Bilt and it seems to be ok. We'll see. The TB XP33 I have has been nothing but a nightmare.

Comment

I have an older Bob-Cat 21'' push and a Billy Goat HW650SP. Think that ones a 23'' not sure though. I like both of them so far. The Billy Goat is good for overgrown lawns. I'm just starting out on my own so not sure about how long they will last.

Comment

I have an older Bob-Cat 21'' push and a Billy Goat HW650SP. Think that ones a 23'' not sure though. I like both of them so far. The Billy Goat is good for overgrown lawns. I'm just starting out on my own so not sure about how long they will last.
                  I've never seen a Bobcat or Billy Goat push mower before. Can you upload some pics?

Comment

I've never seen a Bobcat or Billy Goat push mower before. Can you upload some pics?
                    I will take a few pics and attempt to post them this weekend. They are both older mowers. I don't think either company makes them anymore.

Comment

This pic isn't mine but this is same model of Bob-Cat that I have.

This is the same model Billy Goat I have. I really like the Billy Goat, its a tough mower and doesn't bog down in tall grass
                      Last edited by mowandblow1980; 07-01-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

This pic isn't mine but this is same model of Bob-Cat that I have.

This is the same model Billy Goat I have. I really like the Billy Goat, its a tough mower and doesn't bog down in tall grass
                        Those are pretty cool. I like the Bob cat especially. I have been looking for an older push mower, like this or a Snapper because they simply don't build mowers like they used too.

Comment

Those are pretty cool. I like the Bob cat especially. I have been looking for an older push mower, like this or a Snapper because they simply don't build mowers like they used too.
                          The Bob Cat is a great mower too. I think Bob Cat stopped making them around 2008-2009. Cast aluminum deck. Not much to it so its easy to work on. Not sure where you're at, but they are still fairly easy to find on Craigslist by me because they were popular in parts of New Jersey.

Comment

As I mentioned in the original thread, here in Canada, there is no such thing as a "cheap" anything. The Troy-Bilt 190cc that is 350$ is the US is 750 here in Canada. I would love to have the option of having an "inexpensive" mower and not caring too much about it. Use it for a season or 2 and then try something else if it doesn't work out. Doesn't seem to be an option here in the Great White North.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X