Best Push Mower You Have Used? Plus Bonus Rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Push Mower You Have Used? Plus Bonus Rant

I have a few issues/questions that maybe a few people can chime in on.

I had an awesome Honda HRX Self Propelled push mower. It needs an engine. Best place to source one or is there an alternative option? I am in Canada and we pay through the nose here for gear and for parts. Or so it seems to me.

I am looking for a 190cc engine self propelled push mower. In the US I see them listed for 350 to 500$. Here in Canada IF you can even find one they are 699 and up. Kind of pisses me off.

That being said what do you guys recommend or what would you steer clear of? I have a Toro 30 inch Timemaster self prop. push and I am NOT at all happy with it. Can't mulch for crap. If the grass is even a bit too long it bogs down. And that is on the highest deck setting.

Anyway any thoughts/input people have would be appreciated. I am just a small residential mowing outfit. I have gone from 13 clients last year to 25 so far this year. Fun times in the Maritimes.

Thanks

Mark

I had an awesome Honda HRX Self Propelled push mower. It needs an engine. Best place to source one or is there an alternative option? I am in Canada and we pay through the nose here for gear and for parts. Or so it seems to me.
    We just had a recent discussion on this and the forum member was able to find a new motor on ebay to replace the current motor they had.

Check out this post Replace Mower Engine.

I have a Toro 30 inch Timemaster self prop. push and I am NOT at all happy with it. Can't mulch for crap. If the grass is even a bit too long it bogs down. And that is on the highest deck setting.
    What motor and size do you have on that mower?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Honestly I swear by craftsman push mowers. Right now I have a 2010 model with 6.75 hp and a Kohler, and it has started on the first pull for 5 straight years. My newer push mower is a 2015 craftsman with 7.25 horsepower that has been perfect as well. Both mowers are 3 in 1, bagger, mulcher, and side discharge. I can't justify spending double the price on a commercial push mower ever, since these craftsmen mowers have been insanely reliable. They might even be commercial models, especially the stronger one. But they come without the pricetag of a Honda commercial, and other brands, etc...

Comment

I have a Honda HRC. It mows great and has lasted me two seasons thus far.
        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I hope it stays that way for you. Equipment issues suck. Though I don't anticipate any issues, craftsmen mowers for the most part are not commercial , and aren't made to take the beating of a lawn business. I have been extremely lucky, though I am a firm believer that if you take care of your equipment, in terms of maintenance and whatnot, it will last.

Comment

I have an MTD 140cc that was my very first mower and it starts first pull every time and still mows well. I use synthetic oil, Shell gas and a dash of Sta-Bil in each tank.

"Betsy Red" has since been retired to my personal yard and I now have 2 Honda HRR's, the "Japanese Twins" and a 190cc Troy Bilt, "Bobbi Red."

"Big Bertha," My Troy Bilt XP33 is in mothballs right now because my buddy and me seem to do fine working two 21" mowers in tandem. And cause she's a huge turd that's been nothing but problems and bad luck the entire year I've had her.

Comment

We just had a recent discussion on this and the forum member was able to find a new motor on ebay to replace the current motor they had.

Check out this post Replace Mower Engine.

What motor and size do you have on that mower?
              The Toro has an 8.75 torque/190cc engine. Not enough for 2 blades under a 30 inch deck. Since I originally posted this thread that mower has been in for repairs twice. As I type this it is at the dealer waiting for a part. It is under warranty but this is the 5th time it has been in. Going on 2 weeks now. I have been in contact with Toro Canada and they will do NOTHING for me. I bought from a local Toro dealer thinking it was better than buying from a big box store. Nope. They have not offered me a replacement mower while mine is in waiting for parts. I picked up a used Honda. Very basic 160cc. It mows better than the Toro.

Comment

The Toro has an 8.75 torque/190cc engine. Not enough for 2 blades under a 30 inch deck. Since I originally posted this thread that mower has been in for repairs twice. As I type this it is at the dealer waiting for a part. It is under warranty but this is the 5th time it has been in. Going on 2 weeks now. I have been in contact with Toro Canada and they will do NOTHING for me. I bought from a local Toro dealer thinking it was better than buying from a big box store. Nope. They have not offered me a replacement mower while mine is in waiting for parts. I picked up a used Honda. Very basic 160cc. It mows better than the Toro.
                Underpowered and overpriced. That's Toro. I wouldn't have Toro anything. And believe me, I wanted this same mower badly.

Comment

I have had my commercial Lawnboy for about 8 years, starts on one pull.

Take it for a tune-up every year and it runs great.

Lawnboy + STIHL for the win.

Comment

Underpowered and overpriced. That's Toro. I wouldn't have Toro anything. And believe me, I wanted this same mower badly.

Yup. I "believed the hype". Assuming I get it back from being repaired(15 days now) I am taking it to a guy who buys used gear and dumping it. I will take a huge loss but I am scared to even use it now. I have close to 50 places now so I cannot have something that is this unreliable.

Comment

I have an MTD 140cc that was my very first mower and it starts first pull every time and still mows well. I use synthetic oil, Shell gas and a dash of Sta-Bil in each tank.

How hoften do you change the oil on that mower?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

How hoften do you change the oil on that mower?
                        In two yrs/3 seasons believe I've changed it 3x.

Comment

I have a Honda HRC. It mows great and has lasted me two seasons thus far.
                          For what they want for those they better cut well and last!

I had to take my two Honda HRR216's back. Tranny issues.

Comment

For what they want for those they better cut well and last!

I had to take my two Honda HRR216's back. Tranny issues.
                            I have to make a correction....my Honda is actually the HRR216VKA, not the HRC. I paid around $400.00 for it. The only tranny issue (if you would call it that) is the belt slipping over time. By tightening the cable that engages the transmission, the issue was solved. I don't know what your transmission problems are, but cables and belts are normal-wear parts that will need to be replaced after they have run their useful life.
                            integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I have to make a correction....my Honda is actually the HRR216VKA, not the HRC. I paid around $400.00 for it. The only tranny issue (if you would call it that) is the belt slipping over time. By tightening the cable that engages the transmission, the issue was solved. I don't know what your transmission problems are, but cables and belts are normal-wear parts that will need to be replaced after they have run their useful life.
                              Yeah those are the ones I have. Got 'em at Northern Tool. They are both less than a mo old and both had drive issues. 2nd one locks up when pulling it back. Wheels roll fine when it's not running.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X