New Equipment/ Business question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Equipment/ Business question

I am looking into buying an echo Pb500T and a Stihl FS90r along with a 5x8 trailer so I sont have to pay insurance on the thing. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments??

Also I'm trying to figure out if it's worth starting an LLC or LLP because it sounds like it could cost a lot.

LLC is pretty pointless. Others might disagree but you get virtually the same protection as a sole operator.

Do not know what your talking about with insurance. I would try to get at least a 6x10. Even with that youll outgrow it.

The pb500 is to weak for clean ups and the weight to power ratio is horrible. If you really want a echo get a 755,760,770.

The fs90 is a great trimmer. Its a workhorse that can handle brush. It does get a little heavy if your using it all day.

Comment

so I sont have to pay insurance on the thing.
      Can you tell me more of what you mean on this?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

In maryland at least on any trailer under 10 feet long you dont have to pay insurance on it only the registration fee from my understanding.

Comment

Well I dont want to step on toes but an LLC would be the way to go. For legal issues. Look them up as I won't post everything here. With that being said this is my advice, in the end you make all the decisions based on your needs. So for the trailer get a 5x8 or 5x10 anything bigger for starting off seems unnecessary. Registering it will cost a bit. Search the web for used ones since new ones can cost over $1000. Oh, and when I made my LLC I just went to the secretary of state website and paid around $50. Then the EIN was around another $50

Comment

In maryland at least on any trailer under 10 feet long you dont have to pay insurance on it only the registration fee from my understanding.
            I would look into the cost of insuring your trailer, as if you get in an accident with it anything on your trailer is not covered by your truck insurance. When we first got in business we got caught on that ourselves lost 3 mowers in a wreck.
            I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Well I dont want to step on toes but an LLC would be the way to go. For legal issues. Look them up as I won't post everything here. With that being said this is my advice, in the end you make all the decisions based on your needs. So for the trailer get a 5x8 or 5x10 anything bigger for starting off seems unnecessary. Registering it will cost a bit. Search the web for used ones since new ones can cost over $1000. Oh, and when I made my LLC I just went to the secretary of state website and paid around $50. Then the EIN was around another $50
              You paid for your EIN? I got mine from the IRS for free.....

Comment

I am looking into buying an echo Pb500T and a Stihl FS90r along with a 5x8 trailer so I sont have to pay insurance on the thing. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments??

Also I'm trying to figure out if it's worth starting an LLC or LLP because it sounds like it could cost a lot.
                I have an LLC, its really not that complicated to do, you just go to the State website and file your Articles of Organization - An LLC and an LLP are basically the same thing, one is a company, one is a partnership, but come tax time you file the same tax forms for either one. You should be able to Google LLC/LLP formation in your state and it will give you all the information you need, and will direct you to the State's website where you can fill out the form and electronically submit it, or download it and mail it in with payment to form the LLC or LLP. Might want to make sure you get a big enough trailer you can grow in, so that you don't have to go buy another one and another one as you grow. Also I'd suggest that you get commercial insurance on your vehicle, because personal insurance isn't going to pay anything if you get in a wreck, since the vehicle is being used for business, hoping you have thought about this.

Comment

You paid for your EIN? I got mine from the IRS for free.....
                  Yea you are right. Sorry about that I was thinking of something else.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the advice. and yes i think a 5x8 or 5x10 is the best way to go now considering i only have a tacoma with a 4cyl. Anything too big and I'll have more trailer than I do truck. I'll have to look into the LLP and LLC. I'm also thinking I need to draw some type of documents up for company equipment considering the guy i work with feels the need to modify the engine on his truck and all sorts of stupid stuff i tell him isnt necessary if we have company vehicles im not going to tolerate that crap i want things to be to factory spec and reliable i dont care about fast or hp.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the advice. and yes i think a 5x8 or 5x10 is the best way to go now considering i only have a tacoma with a 4cyl. Anything too big and I'll have more trailer than I do truck. I'll have to look into the LLP and LLC. I'm also thinking I need to draw some type of documents up for company equipment considering the guy i work with feels the need to modify the engine on his truck and all sorts of stupid stuff i tell him isnt necessary if we have company vehicles im not going to tolerate that crap i want things to be to factory spec and reliable i dont care about fast or hp.
                      Good luck on everything, and keep us posted.

Comment

I'm also thinking I need to draw some type of documents up for company equipment considering the guy i work with feels the need to modify the engine on his truck and all sorts of stupid stuff
                        You want to draw up a document that he will agree not to modify any engines of your equipment?
                        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Also Ryan, I believe that if you modify anything on your equipment it will void whatever warranty you have on it, so you might want to make your business partner aware of this.

Comment

Also Ryan, I believe that if you modify anything on your equipment it will void whatever warranty you have on it, so you might want to make your business partner aware of this.

He likes to rig his equipment and not fix it right because he doesn't want to spend the money which drives me crazy and runs his truck hard.

Comment

He likes to rig his equipment and not fix it right because he doesn't want to spend the money which drives me crazy and runs his truck hard.
                              hmm....are you sure you really want to run a business with him?

Comment

Working...
                              X