Mower Brands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mower Brands

I am looking at 3 brands of mowers wondering what everyones preference is Toro, Dixie Chopper, and Gravely. Any input would help.

I like Ransomes Bobcat mowers myself but have operated many...Dixie choppers are fast if you got the ground to cover...Walker mowers with there out front deck hold the contour great & they've made them quicker than in the past & have a great vac system too...Scag, Dixie's,Bobcats, Xmarks are all good mowers just personal preference I think at that point...I never ran a Gravely but looks like a fine machine to me......depends on what size lawns you have I guess would be a factor too...I have a lot of bigger lawns so I have a couple of 60" ztr's & also a 48" ransomes bobcat WB for smaller one's....hope this helps!

Comment

I like Ransomes Bobcat mowers myself but have operated many...Dixie choppers are fast if you got the ground to cover...Walker mowers with there out front deck hold the contour great & they've made them quicker than in the past & have a great vac system too...Scag, Dixie's,Bobcats, Xmarks are all good mowers just personal preference I think at that point...I never ran a Gravely but looks like a fine machine to me......depends on what size lawns you have I guess would be a factor too...I have a lot of bigger lawns so I have a couple of 60" ztr's & also a 48" ransomes bobcat WB for smaller one's....hope this helps!
      Act Dixie Chopper mowers are not any faster then the other brands anymore, in fact in most cases they are among the slowest production mowers. They do however produce a few modified ones for shows that do run faster then the other brands such as the jet powered mower.
      I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

I am looking at 3 brands of mowers wondering what everyones preference is Toro, Dixie Chopper, and Gravely. Any input would help.
        You are a fool if you pick a brand of mower because other people like that brand. Dealer setup and support are more important to mower life then who made it. Guess what most of the parts of the mowers are made by other companies. Such as a Kawasaki Engine is a made by Kawasaki(GASP...) Hydro-Gear Pumps and Weelmotors are made by you guessed it Hydro-gear. Look for a mower with great dealer support and the best price for the features you want.
        I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

You are a fool if you pick a brand of mower because other people like that brand. Dealer setup and support are more important to mower life then who made it. Guess what most of the parts of the mowers are made by other companies. Such as a Kawasaki Engine is a made by Kawasaki(GASP...) Hydro-Gear Pumps and Weelmotors are made by you guessed it Hydro-gear. Look for a mower with great dealer support and the best price for the features you want.
          Yea I know ,just personal preference at that point...what kind do you use? I acually am thinking of going with a Kubota this year, maybe, but I still like ransomes best they're a good quality mower...

Comment

Yea I know ,just personal preference at that point...what kind do you use? I acually am thinking of going with a Kubota this year, maybe, but I still like ransomes best they're a good quality mower...
            I remember when I was little and my father used to ask me if my friends all jumped off a cliff would I do it.. That is what I think of when people ask what everyone else buys or uses.

I own a dealership that sells Hustler and Bobcat. Personally I like Hustler but it is the little things that I like. One of the main one is Warranty to price ratio.

As for Kubota the 3 things to remember are.

1 Diesel cost more then gas and in my experience the same is true for repairs of diesel mowers vs gas.

2. Kubota is an imported machine, not only is it most likely more expensive the the Bobcat(At least in my area they no longer label them Ransomes) the parts are also more expensive.

3. Kubota likes integrated drive, in my experience integrated drive units do not last as long as pumps and wheel motors. I have yet to find a brand of unit that this does not apply to.
            Last edited by wandfsmall; 04-02-2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I have a kubota tractor and the parts are top dollar. Its not cheap to fix at all other then that its a great machine. I almost bought a zd221 but it was just to expensive for a mower. I read a lot of reviews about gearbox failures.

Comment

Good stuf to know on the drive systems,,I didnt know that...I have got some broshures on the Hustlers too & also look good..I service the guys lawn that is a Kubota dealer & has some good deals coming up soon..0% for 4 or 5 years + 2000 off the top..of course its a 16000$ machine so 14000$ is still a lot of cash! What kind of prices do you have on the Bobcats & Hustlers, I was quoted by a Bobcat dealer around 11000$ (early Jan or so)for a 72" w/I think a 37hp kaw engine.. I feel like I'm getting a good deal ,but what do you think?
                Last edited by kslawn; 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Dealer setup and support are more important to mower life then who made it.
                  So you're saying it's ok to buy a mower of lower quality, just so long as there is a friendly dealership there to take your money to fix it?

I don't agree with your statement. Quality is quality. How nice Jimmy (the kid who answers the phone at the dealership) is, has zero impact on the quality of my mower.

Is it ok to buy a crappy house, just so long as Home Depot is happy to sell you some new lumber?

The dealerships still play a role in the selection of a mower and service, but I wouldn't put that above the quality of the product at hand. There's a reason they are called stealerships. Buy quality, that's all there is to it. You want your customers to hire you based on quality, so you should do the same when shopping, especially for equipment.

Comment

So you're saying it's ok to buy a mower of lower quality, just so long as there is a friendly dealership there to take your money to fix it?

I don't agree with your statement. Quality is quality. How nice Jimmy (the kid who answers the phone at the dealership) is, has zero impact on the quality of my mower.

Is it ok to buy a crappy house, just so long as Home Depot is happy to sell you some new lumber?

The dealerships still play a role in the selection of a mower and service, but I wouldn't put that above the quality of the product at hand. There's a reason they are called stealerships. Buy quality, that's all there is to it. You want your customers to hire you based on quality, so you should do the same when shopping, especially for equipment.
                    Ok, then what is the difference in the 3 brands named above?

Comment

Ok, then what is the difference in the 3 brands named above?
                      Engineering design: Was it designed to be powerful, or long-lasting? Cheap, or durable?
                      Quality control, gauge of steel used, quality of steel.
                      Source of motors: solid connecting rods or hollow rods? well-balanced crankshafts? crank bearing clearance? fitment of oil and compression piston rings? All bolts and fasteners double checked for proper torque specs?
                      Overhead valve? camshaft? pushrod? How about the timing chain guides?
                      Circulation of oil: crankshaft first? valves first? Adequate oil pressure?
                      Are the timing components subject to breakdown from exposure to heat?
                      What about the hydraulic fluid?
                      Is the carburetor from a quality company? Constant velocity carb?
                      Is the deck rust-proofed?
                      Are the wheels wide, or narrow? How do they affect the lawn?
                      Do the aerodynamics of the deck positively or negatively affect the cut of the lawn?
                      Are the bearings in the spindles quality? Do they need maintenance regularly?
                      Does the mower have many plastic pieces?
                      Does the mower have out-standing parts that would be easy to bump and break?

Notice how none of these characteristics have anything to do with the guy who sells you the mower.

You know what does have a major impact on the life of the mower: the owner.

Are you a careful owner? Do you check and inspect the mower regularly? Do you check the oil level and color? Do you protect it from the elements? Do you use it AS DESIGNED or do you abuse it because "it's commercial, it can take it". Do you perform, or have done, regular maintenance? Do you check the spark plug regularly for proper color? Do you check tire pressure? Check the air filter?

All machines have an end. What really matters is how it was taken care of. A low quality machine can last forever if well taken care of. A commercial mower can blow up with barely any hours (as often happens) if an idiot runs it out of oil.

Comment

Engineering design: Was it designed to be powerful, or long-lasting? Cheap, or durable?
                        Quality control, gauge of steel used, quality of steel.
                        Source of motors: solid connecting rods or hollow rods? well-balanced crankshafts? crank bearing clearance? fitment of oil and compression piston rings? All bolts and fasteners double checked for proper torque specs?
                        Overhead valve? camshaft? pushrod? How about the timing chain guides?
                        Circulation of oil: crankshaft first? valves first? Adequate oil pressure?
                        Are the timing components subject to breakdown from exposure to heat?
                        What about the hydraulic fluid?
                        Is the carburetor from a quality company? Constant velocity carb?
                        Is the deck rust-proofed?
                        Are the wheels wide, or narrow? How do they affect the lawn?
                        Do the aerodynamics of the deck positively or negatively affect the cut of the lawn?
                        Are the bearings in the spindles quality? Do they need maintenance regularly?
                        Does the mower have many plastic pieces?
                        Does the mower have out-standing parts that would be easy to bump and break?

Notice how none of these characteristics have anything to do with the guy who sells you the mower.

You know what does have a major impact on the life of the mower: the owner.

Are you a careful owner? Do you check and inspect the mower regularly? Do you check the oil level and color? Do you protect it from the elements? Do you use it AS DESIGNED or do you abuse it because "it's commercial, it can take it". Do you perform, or have done, regular maintenance? Do you check the spark plug regularly for proper color? Do you check tire pressure? Check the air filter?

All machines have an end. What really matters is how it was taken care of. A low quality machine can last forever if well taken care of. A commercial mower can blow up with barely any hours (as often happens) if an idiot runs it out of oil.
                        The differences between the brands are little to none. I bet they all have the same carbs, wheel motors, hydraulic pumps, etc.

We're talking new mowers here. Now your going on about maintenance. Doesnt mean jack when buying a new mower. It will make it last but wont change the brand printed on it. No one asked how to take care of a mower. The question is about quality. You can try to dress a turd up all you want it will always be a turd.

None of what your saying has anything to do with the different manufactures. Hes not asking about World Lawn or even residential mowers. Dixie, Gravely and Toro, all make good commercial mowers. I wouldnt buy a dixie because I cant walk into a place and buy a part the same day if it was needed. Has nothing to do with the air filters.

Comment

I agree with Ratchet.

We have always owned and always will buy Exmark, no matter what. Not to mention the quality, but the dealership is top notch customer service. Just one example is our 2 year mower that blew a Kawi engine last year. Fought for us for 3 weeks with Kawi to replace it under warranty and they did.

Yes, parts are more, but you get what you pay for. We have a few riders that are 7 years old with over 3000 hours on them that still cut excellent.
                          Family owned business established in 1983 based in Lakeville, MN. Servicing Minneapolis South Metro area working in Grounds Maintenance including fertilization and spraying, Landscaping, Hard Scapes, Irrigation, Water Features, Concrete Work, Weatherization, and Association Management.

Comment

I agree with Ratchet.

We have always owned and always will buy Exmark, no matter what. Not to mention the quality, but the dealership is top notch customer service. Just one example is our 2 year mower that blew a Kawi engine last year. Fought for us for 3 weeks with Kawi to replace it under warranty and they did.

Yes, parts are more, but you get what you pay for. We have a few riders that are 7 years old with over 3000 hours on them that still cut excellent.
                            Sounds like you agree with WandF. Ratchet thinks dealers play no part.

Comment

just saying...still like the bobcat, used them for 14 yrs with my old employer & for the last 11 yrs for myself, A Quality Mower they are..does not hirt to get a demo here & there! gas/diesel? still a personal preference at that point... I've had good luck with Kohler/gas.. wandfsmall, you got those prices? I like not having any payments right now but dont hurt to check! & am curious about the warranty to price ratio.....let me know...

Comment

Working...
                              X