No announcement yet.

Mower Brands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you agree with WandF. Ratchet thinks dealers play no part.
    LOL....yeah, about the quality part!
    Family owned business established in 1983 based in Lakeville, MN. Servicing Minneapolis South Metro area working in Grounds Maintenance including fertilization and spraying, Landscaping, Hard Scapes, Irrigation, Water Features, Concrete Work, Weatherization, and Association Management.

Comment

The differences between the brands are little to none. I bet they all have the same carbs, wheel motors, hydraulic pumps, etc.

We're talking new mowers here. Now your going on about maintenance. Doesnt mean jack when buying a new mower. It will make it last but wont change the brand printed on it. No one asked how to take care of a mower. The question is about quality. You can try to dress a turd up all you want it will always be a turd.

None of what your saying has anything to do with the different manufactures. Hes not asking about World Lawn or even residential mowers. Dixie, Gravely and Toro, all make good commercial mowers. I wouldnt buy a dixie because I cant walk into a place and buy a part the same day if it was needed. Has nothing to do with the air filters.
      You just contradicted yourself several times.
      I bet they all have the same carbs, wheel motors, hydraulic pumps, etc...I wouldnt buy a dixie because I cant walk into a place and buy a part the same day if it was needed
      If the parts are all the same anyway, why not just go to a different dealership for the part?
      The differences between the brands are little to none....wont change the brand printed on it.....The question is about quality
      Again, if all the mowers are the same, then what does the brand name mean? If all the mowers are the same, then the question about quality is a null and void question.
      your going on about maintenance. Doesnt mean jack when buying a new mower. It will make it last
      "maintenance...will make it last". ....Isn't that the MAJOR concern? How long a mower will last? Isn't that the only thing you care about when you buy a mower...or anything? Sure, you might consider ease of use, posture, cut quality, but if you tell someone (and it's true) "this mower will last for one million years" they will buy it without question.

Sounds like you agree with WandF. Ratchet thinks dealers play no part.
      That's not true. I NEVER said "Dealers play no part". I said that considering buying a brand based on dealer support should be a much lesser concern.
      Of course, nobody wants to buy a machine they can't order parts for.
      This is 2013, the internet exists. You can buy any part for a machine you want.
      WandF puts dealer networks before quality. CGT clearly said that he chooses Exmark because they are top-quality. Then he said that it took him 3 weeks of fighting for the motor to be replaced. How is he agreeing with WandF?
      Last edited by ratchetmaster2; 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

If the parts are all the same anyway, why not just go to a different dealership for the part?
        if you want to play stupid. Zama makes almost all handheld carbs it doesnt mean theyll all fit and work with different brands. Zama doesnt have a store. A Stihl dealer should have all that fit their models but will they carry a zama redmax carb? They sure the heck wont have a engine part.

Again, if all the mowers are the same, then what does the brand name mean? If all the mowers are the same, then the question about quality is a null and void question.
        The three mower brands probably all use parker pumps. Again theres not a parker pump store. The connections might be different, the mounting might be different but its the same quality part.

I said the commercial brands arent much different. Theres a big difference between a zmaster and timecutter. Same brand completely different. Or any mower vs a world lawn like I said.

I would pay more attention to the engine brand then the mower itself.

"maintenance...will make it last". ....Isn't that the MAJOR concern? How long a mower will last? Isn't that the only thing you care about when you buy a mower...or anything? Sure, you might consider ease of use, posture, cut quality, but if you tell someone (and it's true) "this mower will last for one million years" they will buy it without question.
        You could say hey ill get a homeowner mower and baby and it will last. Others on here are doing that with this thinking of I rather buy a new homedepot mower and maintain it myself then deal with a used commercial mower that I dont know the history.

That's not true. I NEVER said "Dealers play no part". I said that considering buying a brand based on dealer support should be a much lesser concern.
        Of course, nobody wants to buy a machine they can't order parts for.
        This is 2013, the internet exists. You can buy any part for a machine you want.
        WandF puts dealer networks before quality. CGT clearly said that he chooses Exmark because they are top-quality. Then he said that it took him 3 weeks of fighting for the motor to be replaced. How is he agreeing with WandF?
        hes agreeing with wandf because his dealer fought for him if you read right.

If something breaks during a job your going to quit. Go home and order it online and then wait for it in the mail to get back to work?

If I buy a dixie which has no dealer within 500 miles and I need to get warrantied work. Do I ship it? I have a dealer that will pick up my broken equipment on site and bring a loaner.

I bought my last blower 30 miles away because the closer dealers said the warranty only covers manufacture defects. The third dealer says if you dont throw it in a lake or run it with no oil. We'll cover it! These were all the same brand and same blower. Just a different level or service. A good relationship with a dealer will pay its weight in gold.

Comment

I use gravely. American made. Lifetime deck warranty. I have never had a bad experience at any of their service departments/dealers. They are lower in price but in my opinion great quality machines.

At this point in time I will never use anything but gravely for my mowers. My dad has a commercial toro, and he likes my gravely 10x better. And I like my gravely 50x better than my bad boy. Yes it is all preference and what's available to you. Remember thought. Whatever you buy, buy it local. A lot better service later down the road.

I'm surprised nobody on here runs gravely.I would say 60% of lawn company's down here run them.

Comment

I said the commercial brands arent much different. Theres a big difference between a zmaster and timecutter. Same brand completely different. Or any mower vs a world lawn like I said.

I would pay more attention to the engine brand then the mower itself.

You could say hey ill get a homeowner mower and baby and it will last. Others on here are doing that with this thinking of I rather buy a new homedepot mower and maintain it myself then deal with a used commercial mower that I dont know the history.

If something breaks during a job your going to quit. Go home and order it online and then wait for it in the mail to get back to work?

If I buy a dixie which has no dealer within 500 miles and I need to get warrantied work. Do I ship it? I have a dealer that will pick up my broken equipment on site and bring a loaner.

I bought my last blower 30 miles away because the closer dealers said the warranty only covers manufacture defects. The third dealer says if you dont throw it in a lake or run it with no oil. We'll cover it! These were all the same brand and same blower. Just a different level or service. A good relationship with a dealer will pay its weight in gold.
            I bought my mower because of the name. I don't know what a zmaster is. Maybe a Zoro Master? I don't own a sword or a cape though. I bought the timecutter because I was looking to cut time. The name says it all.

In all seriousness (if thats a word), SECT is right. The dealer played a HUGE part in my choice. If something were to ever happen, the dealer is a 6 minute drive. From advice from a buddy, he said Kohler recently has been putting out better engines (I think not so much on the courage????? not too sure...). Engine types playes a big role too.

The dealers are here to support YOU. They need your business for them to stay in business. While ordering parts online may be a couple bucks cheaper, the dealer can get you up and running faster of give you a loaner.

Comment

I never said buy with a dealership that you like over quality. What I said is buy with a dealership over brand name. A good dealer will try to put you into a quality machine that will be a good fit for you.

Maintenance is the key to long life but you can also fix a lot of future problems if you pay attention during the setup of the machine. We have operated a dealership for more then 25 years and sold a few brands that we no longer sell even a few that do not exist anymore but most of our mowers are still in operation.

The fact of it is mechanic at a dealership spends as much time working on equipment as you do mowing grass. With the modern computer systems recording everything he does he likely knows more about the equipment and your operating cost then then you do.
              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

I use gravely. American made. Lifetime deck warranty. I have never had a bad experience at any of their service departments/dealers. They are lower in price but in my opinion great quality machines.

At this point in time I will never use anything but gravely for my mowers. My dad has a commercial toro, and he likes my gravely 10x better. And I like my gravely 50x better than my bad boy. Yes it is all preference and what's available to you. Remember thought. Whatever you buy, buy it local. A lot better service later down the road.

I'm surprised nobody on here runs gravely.I would say 60% of lawn company's down here run them.
                As I have said before MOST commercial brands are american made. A few have plants outside the US like Toro/Exmark and World Lawn.

Mower brands for the most part got their power in areas depending how good a distributor was 15 years ago in the area. For the most part the powerhouses would be Exmark/Toro, Scag, and Hustler. That does not say that they are the only good ones just the most used overall. After the top three the market share drops so low that you do not find as much difference between the brands and they seem to shift from year to year.
                I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

As I have said before MOST commercial brands are american made. A few have plants outside the US like Toro/Exmark and World Lawn.

Mower brands for the most part got their power in areas depending how good a distributor was 15 years ago in the area. For the most part the powerhouses would be Exmark/Toro, Scag, and Hustler. That does not say that they are the only good ones just the most used overall. After the top three the market share drops so low that you do not find as much difference between the brands and they seem to shift from year to year.
                  Wandfsmall- in the last 10 years, have you seen any major differences with hustlers?

Comment

I figured I would post some tips to find a GOOD Dealership and get the best service you can get.

To find a good dealership.

1. Check to see if they are authorized to repair the mower they are selling. You have to be a Briggs dealer to repair Briggs engines under warranty. A good dealership will ALWAYS be authorized to repair the equipment that they sell. You would be surprised at how many dealerships are not authorized to do all of the repairs.

2. In most cases your better dealerships will be listed on Hydro-Gears dealer locator. My experience is that since in most cases the transmission is not the headliner a lot of dealer ship this one. I find having access to repair manuals beneficial to doing a good job on repairs. In fact that is the main reason I recommend Hydro-Gear over the other transmissions.

To get better service.

1. Buy your equipment and parts at the dealership. We have these things called computers that tell us what you have bought from us. The more you spend the faster we get to your equipment.

2. Treat them with a little respect, a good technician spends a lot of time training to improve his skills and do a better job. And a dealerships spends a lot of money trying to stock as many parts as we can to keep our mowers operational, if you go in calling them "stealerships" you are not likely to be on the top of the priority list. Remember just as you like to get rid of a pain in the butt customer we find it profitable to do the same.

Comment

Wandfsmall- in the last 10 years, have you seen any major differences with hustlers?
                      Well I not think anything in hustlers lineup is more then 5 years old, so yes. Currently they are my choice of mowers. Hustler was the dealers choice for best company to deal with last year, and the warranty and quality to price is the best value that I can get for my store.

Comment

Wandfsmall,, what other mowers have the integrated drive system ? & about how many hours before they start to show signs of wear?

Comment

Wandfsmall,, what other mowers have the integrated drive system ? & about how many hours before they start to show signs of wear?
                          Most of the brands use integrated drive transmissions, just a few seem to use them on almost everything. such as John Deere, Kubota, Badboy, and Grasshopper. As for when they start to show signs of wear I can not answer that easily, what I so see is we sell more units with pumps and wheel motors and we service more of our units with integrated drives.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X