• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exmark 30in

Ok guys I am am thinking of the getting one of the two

Exmark metro 36
    Exmark 30in

I am leaning towards the 30 because it seems I could load it into my truck via aluminum folding ramps. I don't want the added space and expense if a trailer at this time.

Has anyone have experience with the 30in and or ever loaded it onto a truck?

googus,

I have a 36 inch Bobcat i have loaded into the back of a truck a few times with ramps. I would never put it up into the back of a 2500 or anything larger than a medium sized truck. The truck I put it into was a 95 dodge dakota but I think it would be much more difficult to get into anything bigger. Going up the ramps is not very hard if you have them lined up right and have the mower in a low gear, however, bringing the mower back down the ramps can be very tricky. I would much rather prefer a trailer. Hope this helps!

Belle City Lawn Care, LLC
    Tim Oezer
    Owner

Comment

googus,

I have a 36 inch Bobcat i have loaded into the back of a truck a few times with ramps. I would never put it up into the back of a 2500 or anything larger than a medium sized truck. The truck I put it into was a 95 dodge dakota but I think it would be much more difficult to get into anything bigger. Going up the ramps is not very hard if you have them lined up right and have the mower in a low gear, however, bringing the mower back down the ramps can be very tricky. I would much rather prefer a trailer. Hope this helps!

Belle City Lawn Care, LLC
      Tim Oezer
      Owner

I have a F150 super crew that has only a 5.5 bed. The other problem beside the 36 being more of a pain to load is that the 36 is 1400.00 more, then the bag is extra 250 and mulch kit more money. So by the end the 36 will be almost 2k more then the 30. Not really sure 6 in is worth that kinda money when I am not that big.

Comment

I dont see the point of upgrading from a 21" to a 30". Your only going to get about a 20% time saving.

Hedgemaster has a thread on here about going from a 21" to a 36" and said theres not much difference.

A option is a cargo carrier that connects to the hitch. I seen them carrying large snowblowers but a walk behind might fit.

I operated a 44" walk behind out of a s10 for a year. So it can be done with a bigger mower and smaller truck.

Comment

I dont see the point of upgrading from a 21" to a 30". Your only going to get about a 20% time saving.

Hedgemaster has a thread on here about going from a 21" to a 36" and said theres not much difference.

A option is a cargo carrier that connects to the hitch. I seen them carrying large snowblowers but a walk behind might fit.

I operated a 44" walk behind out of a s10 for a year. So it can be done with a bigger mower and smaller truck.

Yeah, I find that you can save time on larger "rectangular" lawns with the 36", but if there are lots of turns, and obstacles, it throws a wrench in getting it mowed quickly.

A cargo carrier for a walk behind? They may be available, but I can't imagine they'd be cheap. Mine would never haul one. It's good for my 21" and my 26" snowblower, but that's it. Only rated at 500 lbs capacity too.

Comment

Yeah, I find that you can save time on larger "rectangular" lawns with the 36", but if there are lots of turns, and obstacles, it throws a wrench in getting it mowed quickly.

A cargo carrier for a walk behind? They may be available, but I can't imagine they'd be cheap. Mine would never haul one. It's good for my 21" and my 26" snowblower, but that's it. Only rated at 500 lbs capacity too.

I respect all and any input.

After spending 40k on a f150 before this adventure I can't go get a cargo truck.
            I also understand I will not be saving much from a 21 to a 30in
            The lawns here are around 1/3 to 1/2 with a lot of fences.
            I just want to keep a small business 25-30 lawns

See above
            The big lawn mowers need a trailer, so added expense with that and mulch kits/bags added in compared to the 30in.
            Plus I don't want to pull the car or PWC out of garage so space for trailer/ big lawn mower c

Comment

I respect all and any input.

After spending 40k on a f150 before this adventure I can't go get a cargo truck.
              I also understand I will not be saving much from a 21 to a 30in
              The lawns here are around 1/3 to 1/2 with a lot of fences.
              I just want to keep a small business 25-30 lawns

See above
              The big lawn mowers need a trailer, so added expense with that and mulch kits/bags added in compared to the 30in.
              Plus I don't want to pull the car or PWC out of garage so space for trailer/ big lawn mower come into play. Also I have to register the trailer and pay tax unit legally

Comment

From a business stand point its pretty dumb to use a 40k truck and skimp on a $600 trailer. Taxes are $20 if they charge, most time its so small a fee they wont bill you.

Comment

No, by "cargo carrier", I think he meant this kind, like I use for my Toro...

Comment

From a business stand point its pretty dumb to use a 40k truck and skimp on a $600 trailer. Taxes are $20 if they charge, most time its so small a fee they wont bill you.
                    Again, it's not all about the cost. I can more than afford a trailer, but I would much much rather not have one.
                    You have to be much more careful when driving. You have to be responsible for it. You have to buy it, pay taxes on it, get it titled and registered. You have to buy tires for it when they go bald. You have to have a place to park it. Backing up takes a lot of skill.
                    Not even to mention how stupid it would look to tow around a 6x8 utility trailer only to have a single 36" mower in it.

Comment

Again, it's not all about the cost. I can more than afford a trailer, but I would much much rather not have one.
                      You have to be much more careful when driving. You have to be responsible for it. You have to buy it, pay taxes on it, get it titled and registered. You have to buy tires for it when they go bald. You have to have a place to park it. Backing up takes a lot of skill.
                      Not even to mention how stupid it would look to tow around a 6x8 utility trailer only to have a single 36" mower in it.
                      Before I got the money for my trailer I drove around with my 36" in the back of my dakota using ramps. It wasn't a problem.

If you don't want a trailer of course you don't have to buy one, it's not a necessity. but the reasons you give aren't really legit reasons.

Why are you worried if you look "stupid"? Who cares what other people think? I drive around with a 5x8 with one 36" in it, heck I used to drive around with it in the back of the truck and ramps and didn't care what others think.

The other things you listed are part of business....you OWN a business, the things you just listed are what you have to do with all of your equipment and property. If your state has property taxes, you have to pay taxes on your equipment and register your equipment so they can assess the taxes. Not to mention business licenses in the cities you perform services in. You may not have to, there are a couple towns here that dont', but one does even if I mow one lawn in that city whether my business is physically in that city or not.

No offense but if the responsibility of owning a trailer is that big of a deal to you then owning your own business isn't going to pan out.

Comment

Ratchet sorry I quoted you,

I read what the other guy wrote earlier, read it in your post and didn't realize it was you being sarcastic.

My edit time ran out to change it......

Sooooooooooooooooo what I wrote was meant for googus.
                        Last edited by JeffK26; 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

i Dont See The Point Of Upgrading From A 21" To A 30". Your Only Going To Get About A 20% Time Saving.

Hedgemaster Has A Thread On Here About Going From A 21" To A 36" And Said Theres Not Much Difference.

A Option Is A Cargo Carrier That Connects To The Hitch. I Seen Them Carrying Large Snowblowers But A Walk Behind Might Fit.

I Operated A 44" Walk Behind Out Of A S10 For A Year. So It Can Be Done With A Bigger Mower And Smaller Truck.
                          Im Going To Give You Some Advice, If A 48 Would Fit Into The Yards You Are Going After, Then Get It With A Hydro. Quit Thinking So Small. I Would Not Bid On A Property That Required A Small 21 There Is No Money To Be Made Of Any Significance With Small Mowers. At The Least Get A 36 Hydro With A Velky. Once You Get Serious It Will Rarely Be Usded Because You Will Be On Your 60. I Realize We All Have A Budget But Ask Yourself When Was The Last Time You Saw Someone Serious Pushing A Mower? Regardless If Its A 21 Or A 30. Im Trying To Save You My Same Mistakes I Made 18 Years Ago. I Appologise For Being In All Caps My Computer Is Stuck In Caps Lock.

Comment

You cannot be serious about cutting for a living or part time and count on using a 21 in mower on a rack behind a truck are you? There is such a thing as the cost of doing business. I am not trying to insult you but your argument against a trailer is without merrit. Quit thinking of this as a hobby and get a little more serious about making it a for profit. Not to mention a bigger mower cuts way higher cut quality.

Comment

i can see why you wouldnt want a trailor, but i find it hards not to spend money on things that arent a neccisity, so your doing good on that perspective

Comment

Working...
                              X