Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Deere or Husqvarna (Need some help on deciding which one to buy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Deere or Husqvarna (Need some help on deciding which one to buy)

I am going to Lowes Thursday to pick up a zero-turn mower. I am going to have to start out with a lower end mower untill I can afford a good commericail grade one. Anyway I have 2 that Im considering and would like any feedback on these 2.

John Deere or Husvarna.
    I wont be using these except on large properties so they might get used as often as my walk behind mowers.
    Any opinions other than "get a good commercial mower" would be appreciated. I have only these 2 options right now as I am going to be paying for them with my Lowes CC.
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Michaelslandscape; 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM. Reason: pictures are showing up in the right spot

How many lawns do you have that one of these mowers are needed? I know you said you have Lowe's card but Wright Stander 36" is not that much more money and last year my dealer had 0% for 48 months (maybe cheaper by the end)

Comment

I believe these have the same parts. I would look up the model numbers and check the pumps. Other then flimsy decks its the pumps that separate commercial from residential.

I remember the cub rzt and toro timecutter being the exact same mower as the craftsman/mtd. So I really wouldnt be surprised if this is the same.

Comment

Is that your guard dog sitting on the JD???

Comment

get a good commercial mower.

Comment

cheese has a toro or two from homo depot and has been pretty happy with them ,I would eagle eye the ones in the land of the orange,then get the most comparable one at lowes .

Comment

You can find some good commercial mowers on craigslist if you look

Comment

My. O2 worth. I recently bought a residential ztr and did a ton of research before I bought it. The research and reviews on both the mowers you are looking at weren't exactly all good. Many folks reported numerous problems with them both but just as many said great things too so I would take the time to read up on them and discount the idiots cause there were a few. Both are probably fine units. Personally I went with the toro from home depot. They too have a zero percent card offer going and pretty much begged me to take one but I passed on it. If you already have a lowes card they may do the same for you. The Toro mx 4260 is in the same price range you are looking at but comes with better hydros and a welded deck which looks pretty tough. Also a 23 hp kawi. I really wanted that machine but somehow my Son talked me into a ss5000 because of its bigger deck. Truth was both machines made the cub ztrs and the ss4235 look substandard when side by side. So far we are pleased with our purchase, my son believes he could use the 5000 as a bush hog. All that said I believe both will work ok for you but you also owe it to yourself to go by hd and check out their line up. Good luck, hope this helps.

Comment

Go husqvarna but go with the rz5426 for two reasons a bigger blade deck and it has wider front tires which helps glide across grass the other ones have skinny tires that look like they would sink in right away. I have a husquvarna and it does everything I tell it to and lowes has the optional warranty package for if it breaks down they fix it 100% there cost I have had no problems with my machine and it does everything tow to mow. Plus the blade deck is so easy to take on and off. Remember with the lowes warranty that's 4 years of no repairs at cost to you and save recites for all parts you buy for the mower and send them to the warranty company for 25% reimbursement (blades,belts,filters,oil,and some accesorys)

Comment

I forgot that hedgemaster had purchased a husky a year ago at Sears ,he never cut any grass with it but was spotted running it around his yard in the winter .He had all kinds of little glitches with it ,but I think he bought it at a clearance centre so who knows what people fiddled with while it was still on the showroom floor .His thread should be fairly easy to find,even though he appears to have disappeared himself .

Comment

OK.... Thanks for the OP's.
                      Lawnboy, yes that is my 4lb guard dog. He thinks hes a 40lb Rottweiler. I would rather go to HD and get a Toro but applying for another CC is out of the question. I have read a ton of reviews on these 2 and as Cpen said your gonna get alot of haters and people who havent had a problem. Im looking at this season and next before my buisness plan will allow me to upgrade to a commercial Z-turn. And the 3 or 4 year 100% warranty is a great selling point. It will still have a year or 2 left on the warranty when I sell it so I should be able to recoup a good part of my investment.
                      And Wat5150, I think your reply was defintely the best. I hadnt even considered just going out and getting a good comm. mower. I appreciate that.
                      FYI for anyone who is having a cash flow problem and needs some equipment in a hurry.
                      I purchased 3 Toro and 1 Troy Bilt push mowers from HD and Lowes. They are all residential models that I picked up from their re-con section. I have 6 Lowes and Home Depot stores that I check out every couple of weeks. I paid a total of about $500.00 for all 4. I made offers on all of them for a hell of alot less than their already marked down price. They just wanted them out of the store. I picked up one for $50.00 that was marked "for parts only". It needed a belt, blade and blade adaptor and that was it. It started second pull and runs as smooth as new. I purchased 2 at once for $300.00 that they were asking $275.00 each. These are $350 to $400 mowers so for a very small investment Ive got plenty of mowers to get started.
                      I you have the time its worth hitting up HD and Lowes this time of year and see what they have sitting out in the garden dept collecting dust. Talk with the dept manager and make them an offer. They can sell them for what ever they want and sometimes they just want them out of there. Be super nice and tell them you are in a crunch and need there help. Believe it or not most of the time they will work with you. And having a cute little 4lb Chihuahua that the girls (and most of the men) that work there cant get enough of helps out alot. They get so busy playing with my dog they just get a real giving attitude. (I love that dog!)
                      Last edited by Michaelslandscape; 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM. Reason: spell check

Comment

Tips for anyone wanting to get some reconditioned equipment from Lowes or Home Depot.
                        They work like this. A customer brings back a mower and says he / she doesnt like it, or it wont start, or some other excuse. Alot of the times people will come in, buy a mower, power washer, etc.. go use it for a couple of jobs they need it for then return it for any numbers of excuses. And Lowes and Home Depot have a pretty much no questions return policy.
                        So they get back a bunch of mowers, weed eaters, blowers, power washers that they cant sell as new anymore. So they send them off to the service dept. to get them checked out; they get sent back to the store and put in the returned or reconditioned section. Alot of the time a mower will get sent to the service dept. the service tech will look under the mower see it with grass caked all over the underside and say to himself "Im not messin with this ****! Then it gets sent back to the store as unrepairable and sold as "parts only" when there usually isnt anything wrong with it. And if there is something major wrong with it you just return it and say you changed your mind. Its worth spending an hour going over a $400 mower you picked up for $50.00 to see if it can be fixed for another $50.00. Look for the plastic zip-lock bag on these re-cons. It will have the service report in it. It will also say what the customer brought it back for; how much time Lowes or HD has aloted to repair it and the service techs report on what he did or didnt do. Usually if its going to cost more than $100.00 to repair it is sent back as un-repairable when actually it is repairable, just not for the amount of time and money its worth to a mega-company who will just write off the loss.

Comment

Keep us posted on what you decide to go with and why.
                          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Neither store will honor warranties. There limited warranties. All are dependent on what the hour meter says. They have the right to refuse repairs. Youll have to pay transportation which will be half way across the county.

When one of my backpacks blew up. I was picking it up from the shop. He told me not to fix mine and buy new. He said Redmax has a 3 yr warranty. So I ask what it covers? The response was manufacture defects. So if it doesnt meltdown within a few hours use, your on the hook.

Comment

Neither store will honor warranties. There limited warranties. All are dependent on what the hour meter says. They have the right to refuse repairs. Youll have to pay transportation which will be half way across the county.

When one of my backpacks blew up. I was picking it up from the shop. He told me not to fix mine and buy new. He said Redmax has a 3 yr warranty. So I ask what it covers? The response was manufacture defects. So if it doesnt meltdown within a few hours use, your on the hook.
                              Exactly true. When I bought my Toro, it didn't come with an hour meter. The warramty is for homeowner use. If they find out you use it for comemrcial use, the warranty is null and void. The mechanic (who is one of the shop owners) that brought it outside for me asked what I was using it for. I told him to cut a few houses I own. He laughed and said if it every goes down, just bring it back. Then he laughed and said well since theres no hour meter, I guess I'll never know what you use it for!

I'm sure home depot or lowes won't be as generous. BUT, with the amount of $$ it cost for a brand new machine, you can certainly make that money back.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X