Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Deere or Husqvarna (Need some help on deciding which one to buy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly true. When I bought my Toro, it didn't come with an hour meter. The warramty is for homeowner use. If they find out you use it for comemrcial use, the warranty is null and void. The mechanic (who is one of the shop owners) that brought it outside for me asked what I was using it for. I told him to cut a few houses I own. He laughed and said if it every goes down, just bring it back. Then he laughed and said well since theres no hour meter, I guess I'll never know what you use it for!

I'm sure home depot or lowes won't be as generous. BUT, with the amount of $$ it cost for a brand new machine, you can certainly make that money back.

Good luck.
    Your dealing with a dealer and not a box store. Even the dealers I talk to about commercial machines were iffy with warranties. Its like if you hit a rock and damage a spindle. Its not covered because the factory didnt cause the problem. Your cylinder scored after 10 hours well your mix was wrong. Theres so many loopholes. You can deal with a dealer too. He has to deal with a distribution center. Those are the people that ship the mowers to the store. There might be 5 in the country.

I have read enough stories from people who own commercial machines. Its similar to what the big 3 car makers do. You have a 50,000 mile warranty but every repair is going to be a fight to get the automaker to fix. Youll end up paying and waiting for ever for a reimbursement. Even then $1000 repair on a $20000 car is worth it. A $1000 repair on a $2200 machine? You could put a new engine in a commercial mower for that.

Comment

Your dealing with a dealer and not a box store. Even the dealers I talk to about commercial machines were iffy with warranties. Its like if you hit a rock and damage a spindle. Its not covered because the factory didnt cause the problem. Your cylinder scored after 10 hours well your mix was wrong. Theres so many loopholes. You can deal with a dealer too. He has to deal with a distribution center. Those are the people that ship the mowers to the store. There might be 5 in the country.

I have read enough stories from people who own commercial machines. Its similar to what the big 3 car makers do. You have a 50,000 mile warranty but every repair is going to be a fight to get the automaker to fix. Youll end up paying and waiting for ever for a reimbursement. Even then $1000 repair on a $20000 car is worth it. A $1000 repair on a $2200 machine? You could put a new engine in a commercial mower for that.
      That makes a ton of sense. I'm still happy with my purchase, its done VERY well for me. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. On the other hand, I never really looked at it like a car. Glad to know going forward when I upgrade!! Thanks Sect.

Comment

The very fist problem I see with your post is -going to home depot to buy a zero turn! Go to a cammercial mower supplier and a real mower. It cost a lot, it lasts longer, cuts better, cuts faster, and is in the long run cheaper.

Comment

If u get the optional lowes warrenty they will warrenty it for commercial use and there is no hour meter limit on all machines I bought mine in may and I did all the research on it (including warrenty specifications)

Comment

I love the recon section myself. Got a 4cycle edger from it. It was dumb luck when I did. Up till then I didn't know about it. I stumbled by a row of equipment which had the edger in it. It was marked at 150 so I stopped to take a look. The story was somebody bought it and used it once but then sat and carbs gummed up. They put a new carb and blade on it. I told the guy I would give him 100 if he proved it runs. He pulled it once and it fired up. Was a cold daytoo as I recall. Has fired first pull every time since. I got a $450 machine for a hundred and couldnt be happier with it. I always cruise that row now. Ya just never know what you will find.

Comment

we dont have a row like that up here ,the store jams all the returned crap outside into the back of the paver dept. ,and whenever I ask they say not for sale .All last summer there must of been 20 toro recyclers there amongst everything else and they wouldnt part with any of them .

Comment

I have one in mine. Sometimes you find good stuff. It's like going on a dman treasure hunt to find it though.

The last time there was some pretty beat up stuff. I'll have to try next time and make an offer and see what they do! Thanks for that advice!

Comment

Steve,
                  I went with the Husqvarna RZ5426. Based on the reviews and Husqvarnas reputation I think for a non-commercial grade mower it was the best choice for the money. As far as how well it handles and holds up time will tell.

As a bonus I picked up 2 Husqvarna HU700FH ft-lbs 22-in Self-Propelled mowers that had been returned and had been sitting in the re-con area since November. They were asking $263.00 for one and $249.00 for the other. I offered $350.00 to take both of them and he said OK without blinking an eye. I probably could have got them for $300.00 but they retail for $329.00 each and there is nothing wrong with either of them other than they were used a couple of times and returned.

Comment

Dont be penny wise and pound follish, if you are serious about the lawn buisness buy a good commercial mower. time is money. you can mow when the grass is wet, its faster, better cut, and wont allways break down. it will pay for itself in no time. you will also be able to take on more lawns and that will help pay for it.

Comment

I think you need a good commercial mower. I got a John Deere LX280 Lawn Tractor 48" deck non commercial. If you are looking for a good commercial mower I think you could go off with a gravely 260 z. My, uncle had this mower and it rocked nice zero turn capability for your large properties. But, the best commercial mower you should get a Toro Grandstand here's the link to check them out.http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU1FDzf0YMo Hoped this helped!

Travis
                      Travis: owner of Travis' lawn care

(Making your lawn look the best!)

Comment

I read somewhere the Husqvarna's were really good. I just wish I remember where I read it....

Comment

Dont be penny wise and pound follish, if you are serious about the lawn buisness buy a good commercial mower. time is money. you can mow when the grass is wet, its faster, better cut, and wont allways break down. it will pay for itself in no time. you will also be able to take on more lawns and that will help pay for it.
                          People dont understand this. They see reviews how they held up for a year or two for a homeowner and think its quality. They dont realize a commercial machine will last 10-20 years. My newest mower is 5 years old and my oldest is 21 years old.

Comment

People dont understand this. They see reviews how they held up for a year or two for a homeowner and think its quality.
                            Dog years are 1 year = 7 dog year
                            lawn care business are 1 week = 1 year (most home owners mow 30 times a year, we mow 30+ times a week)

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their comments, opinions and advise. I really mean that.
                              I tried to really make it clear in my original post that I didnt have the money or the credit to go buy good commercial quality equipment right now. I am not ignorant of the fact that commercial equipment is the way to go. This is my first year and Im going to have to try and get by with what I can afford without breaking the bank or going into debt that I cant afford to repay.
                              Having said that I have 5 new walk behind mowers that I paid about $600.00 total for. I bought the Husqvarana RZ 5426 on credit at Lowes because thats the only credit source I have right now. I purchased 2 new Echo SRM 225 line trimmers off of E-Bay, one for $129 and one for $159. I also bought 2 new Husqvarna 125 B leaf blowers for $79.00 each. I still have enough money left for advertising, to buy a new 6x12 landscaping trailer and have enough money left to open my buisness checking account and have some available cash for unexpected things that might come up.
                              Ive done everything I can possibly do to get ready for the spring.
                              Why everyone keeps advising me to get things I dont have the money for I dont understand. I was hoping for some advice on which of the 2 zero-turn's to get, thats all. Thanks for all the advice but your telling me things I already know. Just because this is my first year doesnt mean I dont have a clue. I have been doing lawn care work on the side for about 10 years now and have 2 good freinds that have lawn care buisnesses. I have thought this through and been realistic about what I can and cant afford. Im not going to lay out my entire buisness plan here but I do know quite a bit more than the average guy who just jumps into this buisness.
                              So for those of you who are telling me that i need to get a good commercial mower...... No Sh**! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I never even thought about just going out and spending 10 or 20 thousand and starting out with the best equipment available.
                              How many of you had the money and just went out and bought the best commercial equipment in your first year. If you did good for you, I just am not as fortunate as you were money wise.
                              YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE! So get of my butt for not buying things I dont have the money for.
                              Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Go husqvarna but go with the rz5426 for two reasons a bigger blade deck and it has wider front tires which helps glide across grass the other ones have skinny tires that look like they would sink in right away. I have a husquvarna and it does everything I tell it to and lowes has the optional warranty package for if it breaks down they fix it 100% there cost I have had no problems with my machine and it does everything tow to mow. Plus the blade deck is so easy to take on and off. Remember with the lowes warranty that's 4 years of no repairs at cost to you and save recites for all parts you buy for the mower and send them to the warranty company for 25% reimbursement (blades,belts,filters,oil,and some accesorys)
                                Thanks for the advice, I did go with the RZ5426. It looks alot more durable than the JD and its a little faster and tighter. I didnt buy the extended Lowes warranty. I was right up front with the dept. manager who I know very well. He told me if I had problems with it 6 months from now and brought it in for repairs with to many hours for residential use they woulodnt honor the warranty so Ill put that money in the bank and use for repairs if and when I need it.
                                I appreciate the advice though.

Comment

Working...
                                X