No announcement yet.

What truck and trailer to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found a great deal on a 08 f450 it is deisel 4x4 but is is a single cab its 9 grand i dont want to go used but how cuold i pass this up any thoughts
    KBB on a truck like that sbould be 28k, sounds like a scam or a down righ P.O.S

Comment

KBB on a truck like that sbould be 28k, sounds like a scam or a down righ P.O.S
      well its not a scam i seen it at the used car dealer but i was thinking it mabye pos. if i decide tof get it a mechanic will check it and he will have to let me drive it for atleast a day to let any problems show up. i know it is an xl single cab without a bed. what i dont like is that it is a single cab and that it has almost no options on it

Comment

seems like a good deal to me. I would prefer it to be a chassis and thats part of the reason its so cheap.

I just have no idea what you plan on doing with a 450. If you were pulling backhoes, loaders it would make sense but its to much truck for mowing.

Comment

right now it is to much truckbut it gives room to grow i have learned that every time i give my self room to grow i fill it pretty quickly. also it is about the same price of the much older half tons. im on the edge of being on the edge if that makes sense

Comment

I test drove the truck today (it's a f350 with 450 badges) it is 2 wheel drive dually the tires will pass inspection but not much more it has some dings and dangs and a 6.7 power stroke. I have a few questions the truck had a dump bed and the person to own it before had torched it off at the end of the frame the frame length from back of the cab to the end is 11 ft is this as long as it should be.

My next question how often do you guys use 4x4 i have used it a few times but not often note: I don't plow snow I live in nc

What would you pay for it it has 119k on it it appears to drive and shift well it's options are power windows and locks power and heated mirrors with turn signal tow hooks radio with ford sinc remember it has no bed or hitch so I will have to put in some extra work before I can really use it.

Hopefully by Thursday it will be mine

Comment

I test drove the truck today (it's a f350 with 450 badges) it is 2 wheel drive dually the tires will pass inspection but not much more it has some dings and dangs and a 6.7 power stroke. I have a few questions the truck had a dump bed and the person to own it before had torched it off at the end of the frame the frame length from back of the cab to the end is 11 ft is this as long as it should be.

My next question how often do you guys use 4x4 i have used it a few times but not often note: I don't plow snow I live in nc

What would you pay for it it has 119k on it it appears to drive and shift well it's options are power windows and locks power and heated mirrors with turn signal tow hooks radio with ford sinc remember it has no bed or hitch so I will have to put in some extra work before I can really use it.

Hopefully by Thursday it will be mine
              if you dont do snow the only purpose of 4x4 would be getting stuck in mud/dirt. If you get a dumpbody put on it and some weight in the back, you should be good. I plowed with a f350 mason dump and never used 4x4. The trucks are so heavy that its not needed.

Who cares about the options. Whats the axles look like? Trans shift? Frame rot? You have to think expensive repairs.

Comment

The truck runs and shifts smoothly no rust my only concern is it had a dump bed on it but the original owner torched it off so there may be a little frame missing

Comment

I am sorry, I did not read all the replies but do we ever really have to tow 24,000LBS for lawn care? Personally I drive a 2012 Frontier club cab, the club cab only has a 5' bed but I rarely if ever use it. Mostly my 5 X * trailer hauls everything. It's capacity is only about 3K but my trucks is almost 8K so when my trailer ever becomes worthless I can tow a lot more new trailer with the same truck. Is a Suburbans capacity really under 2,000LBS? That is hard to beleave it being so low but I don't know much about them.
                  White Company

Comment

this kid just doesnt know what the hell he is talking about or doing for that matter.

Comment

this kid just doesnt know what the hell he is talking about or doing for that matter.
                      I agree. This is getting ridiculous fast.

When I was 16 years old (in 2011), I bought a 1994 Nissan Hardbody (also called D21 or pickup). 3.0L V6 with a whopping 153hp. Of course, I got 4x4, because awesomeness.

I've had this truck for 2 years, and I've come to love it. I can load it up with 30 bags of mulch from Home Depot. I can tow a decent trailer. I can put lumber in it...haul dirt, sand, gravel. It cost $2600 with 124k miles on it.

I'm trying to sell it now, because it's starting to show its age and mileage, but every time I show it, I can't help but think if how perfect it is. The truck gets 20mpg. It's perfect for the city and all these suburban houses. I can park it anywhere. And, of course, Japanese reliability.

Even if I had the money, the thought of buying a brand new 2014 Chevy 3500 would be the farthest thought in my mind. I would just get a 2000s something F250 with the diesel and a 6 speed.

This is pretty much my exact truck and I couldn't be happier with it for being 16, 17, and 18 years old hauling around mowers and mulch while trying to pass high school and have a girlfriend and a social life.

If you're as big as you say you are, and expanding even half as rapidly as you claim, I would suggest maybe you slow down a bit. Life isn't all about money money money and the biggest truck. Maybe you should take a minute to enjoy where you are now instead of begging your sign to risk your entire familys' lives on you getting a shiny new truck

Comment

Well no more f350 did a vehicle report because the frame was cut it had been in an accident after the dealer swore up and down that it was not. And the suburban can tow 8100 pounds but the trailer is maxed out at 2000 to clear up confusion I think I'm going to upgrade the trailer to a bigger flat bed and if this work keeps up then a bigger truck

Quit insisting on getting a smaller truck (less than a 1500) If I say the suburban is to small for the job what makes me think a mini truck will do better

Comment

Well no more f350 did a vehicle report because the frame was cut it had been in an accident after the dealer swore up and down that it was not. And the suburban can tow 8100 pounds but the trailer is maxed out at 2000 to clear up confusion I think I'm going to upgrade the trailer to a bigger flat bed and if this work keeps up then a bigger truck

Quit insisting on getting a smaller truck (less than a 1500) If I say the suburban is to small for the job what makes me think a mini truck will do better
                          You ask for help, but don't want to listen?? Come on young man, WAKE UP!

Now that the above paragraph got your attention, listen to these guys. Many on here have made it a career. A lot of guys here are around your age and seem to be doing well....listen to them! They know what works...especially for an age comparison!

While we can all agree a suburban isn't too practical, neither is a big *** truck. Grow in equipment as your business grows! Start small and work your way up. Whats the need to buy a big truck when your towing a 5xwhatever trailer and a few mowers? Is 4x4 something you must have ir can you live without it? While buying a big truck is always fun, it's not smart. A used big truck with high mileage could be a disaster. Imagine if you did buy that truck...and midway into your season it broke down. Now you need the money to fix it, and still make payments, but aren't making any money because the one thing you need the most is broken! Start with a smaller practical truck with lower miles and less gas/expenses. There is a big difference between NEED and WANT. Do you NEED that truck right now, or do you WANT that truck right now? If you need a big truck right now, write down on a piece of paper the reasons why and ask yourself "Was there a lot of jobs I had to turn down because my truck was too small?"

STEVE: Can you close this thread?
                          Last edited by LawnBoy0311; 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

How much mulch can you put in a suburban? What are you putting in the trailer that needs more than 2K?
                            You ask for help, but don't want to listen?? Come on young man, WAKE UP!
                            NO NO NO It's just funny that a suburban is the upgrade not the I have it and it will do for now till I can get a truck.

Comment

Listen up, you come on here acting like a big shot, ask for advice, we give it to you and now your disrespecting us? Yeah, ok that makes sense.

I believe I said the f350 would be a peace of shi* didnt I?

Steve please close this thread.
                              Last edited by Cashin H&P; 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Look around how many serious companies work out of a suburban?? 2500 series or a dump nothing less. you will find a dualie pick up truck to be a liability with the wide rear. 2500 0r a 3500 is the minimum requirement for a bob cat rental. Show up with a 1500 and they will send you away. You will never regret getting a 2500 but a 1500 will be money not spent wisely.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X