No announcement yet.

Turf Tiger or Cheetah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to cut thick tall grass. Why not get a bush hog? Then finish mow it with what you got?

If your looking to do it with a Z, get one with a 35hp engine so it doesnt bog down.
    Act deck discharge does more then HP when you are talking about bogging down. And not all 35hp engine are equal in power output.
    I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Act deck discharge does more then HP when you are talking about bogging down. And not all 35hp engine are equal in power output.
      I was thinking bad boys 35HP Caterpillar Diesel.

Comment

I was thinking bad boys 35HP Caterpillar Diesel.
        The engines not bogging as much is more of a problem then an advantage as when the engine bogs you know to back off before something breaks. Also I have stopped recommending diesels as when running the numbers they cost more to operate then a gas engine. My personal theory is they are running relined to get the blade tip speed and wearing the engines out faster.

Cat is the one Diesel I would avoid as the dealers can not even get parts for the Cat engines you have to go to a cat repair center and get a small loan for parts. I would recommend Shibaura, Yanamar, or Kubota

Also last I heard this will be the last year for a Cat Diesel so if you want that one get it now.
        I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

The engines not bogging as much is more of a problem then an advantage as when the engine bogs you know to back off before something breaks. Also I have stopped recommending diesels as when running the numbers they cost more to operate then a gas engine. My personal theory is they are running relined to get the blade tip speed and wearing the engines out faster.

Cat is the one Diesel I would avoid as the dealers can not even get parts for the Cat engines you have to go to a cat repair center and get a small loan for parts. I would recommend Shibaura, Yanamar, or Kubota

Also last I heard this will be the last year for a Cat Diesel so if you want that one get it now.
          damn that was short lived.

I have the same problem with my kubota. Any part is $500+. I broke a connection on the drive shaft it was like $380. All it was is a 6" piece of metal with holes on each side.

For a 22hp engine it has balls. Its been reliable to. You just pay when theres a problem.

Comment

damn that was short lived.

I have the same problem with my kubota. Any part is $500+. I broke a connection on the drive shaft it was like $380. All it was is a 6" piece of metal with holes on each side.

For a 22hp engine it has balls. Its been reliable to. You just pay when theres a problem.
            your kubota is cheap compared to a cat part. From what I understand Cat has to stop producing the engine used on the badboy to meet EPA requirements on the other equipment they produce. Not sure I understand how one engine should effect another but that is our government. The sad thing is I think the cat engine is made by Shibaura for perkins then re-branded CAT.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I mow about 150 acres of bank owned subdivisions. Smallest is 12 acres. Average are 30-40 acres. 40 acres are steep, will slide a 4wd tractor if not careful. Most is grass/weeds, I have to mow at 12-14" and cut to 4-6".All have lot stakes, water shutoffs, and utility boxes. I load a tractor w/ 60" brush hog, and a tractor w/ 12' bat wing on a 35' trailer. Am bidding on some jobs that I won't get into with my trailer. My plan was to use a 96" mower and tractor, and a 60" z. Can load the z on side ways and the tractor/mower on a 20' trailer. The z would cut around objects and along curbs. Also use it on my lawn accounts. Would have to change blades. I mow these accounts about every 30 days. I"m using a cub cadet 60" TANK model now. I have to mow it twice. Was hoping to get away from that.Time is money. Also I work alone so this operation must be a start and go. I do all this at one time . It takes about 1 1/2 weeks now. Want to cut it down to 1 week. Thanks again every one. Always looking to get better and faster.

Comment

First off with that kind of area mowing I would be tempted to get a Hustler Super 104" It would help you get done a lot faster and the rear discharge will eliminate most bogging issues. It should eliminate the need for a tractor. However it could a little large for home owners yards. As for cutting the grass twice NO mower would cut off 4-6" without a double cutting. and for the hills I would avoid the Cheetah or anything else with integrated drive to the point of looking at a HyperDrive machine.

Thanks everyone. I mow about 150 acres of bank owned subdivisions. Smallest is 12 acres. Average are 30-40 acres. 40 acres are steep, will slide a 4wd tractor if not careful. Most is grass/weeds, I have to mow at 12-14" and cut to 4-6".All have lot stakes, water shutoffs, and utility boxes. I load a tractor w/ 60" brush hog, and a tractor w/ 12' bat wing on a 35' trailer. Am bidding on some jobs that I won't get into with my trailer. My plan was to use a 96" mower and tractor, and a 60" z. Can load the z on side ways and the tractor/mower on a 20' trailer. The z would cut around objects and along curbs. Also use it on my lawn accounts. Would have to change blades. I mow these accounts about every 30 days. I"m using a cub cadet 60" TANK model now. I have to mow it twice. Was hoping to get away from that.Time is money. Also I work alone so this operation must be a start and go. I do all this at one time . It takes about 1 1/2 weeks now. Want to cut it down to 1 week. Thanks again every one. Always looking to get better and faster.
                Last edited by wandfsmall; 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I'll start looking at the Hustler mowers. The information was great, just what I was looking for. Most of the mowing will be done with a tractor and bush hog, I'm planing to use the z only to trim with. Thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X