Turf Tiger or Cheetah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turf Tiger or Cheetah

Hi Im new here an to the business. I purchaced a turf tiger this month an some sthil equipment from a local dealer. I went back an was telling him I may need another mower at the start of the season. He got some new cheetahs. Looks like it would be a smooth ride. I didnt get to demo it bc its been raining here for 2 weeks an its nasty out. I did sit on it to compare. U would think just sitting on a mower wouldn't be much to compare rite. Well I noticed it felt like it sat a bit higher an maybe a touch narrower than my tiger. Also I noticed ya have to lean up a little to see the edge of the deck. Other than that I really liked what I saw. Anyone got a cheetah an a tiger an if so whats the difference as far as power with the 2 speed trans, any problems with slopes, hows does it handle as far as comfort compared to the tiger....

Well first off I don't have a scag but want 2 get 1 in the future. But I have another webpage up and it seems that the turf tiger would be the best then the cheetah. 1 because the some models of the Turf Tiger can go up to 12 miles an hour that would making your productivity soar on your big jobs. 2nd of all it has a large 10 gallon fuel tank so you don't run out of gas so quickly. Also they have a comfortable work station (a.k.a) operating platform and they have big deck sizes ranging to 51" to 72". Tryed to help you so hope this helped.
    Travis: owner of Travis' lawn care

(Making your lawn look the best!)

Comment

Demoed a cheetah for 3 days last year. The cheetah felt like it had a higher center of gravity than my TT (08). Didn't really notice a difference in the handling on hills or the quality of the cut. At the time they did not have a bagger kit for the cheetah & that is the main reason for me not buying one. Steering on the cheetah seemed tighter, but that could just be new mower vs broken in mower. The safety bar folding all the way down allows you to get closer under trees, but it takes a little more effort to get everything to latch right.
      Evansville Lawn Mowing
      Newburgh Lawn Care

Comment

Thanks guys thats some good info. I think I may wait till the season starts an demo one to see if the cheetah will be added to my business. I love the turf tiger its a really nice ztr. They do seem to sit higher. I didn't know if it was just me.... Thanks everyone an Ill follow up on my decision later in the year.

Comment

I think I may wait till the season starts an demo one to see if the cheetah will be added to my business.
          Keep us posted. I look forwards to your review.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Cheetah?

Hi Im new here an to the business. I purchaced a turf tiger this month an some sthil equipment from a local dealer. I went back an was telling him I may need another mower at the start of the season. He got some new cheetahs. Looks like it would be a smooth ride. I didnt get to demo it bc its been raining here for 2 weeks an its nasty out. I did sit on it to compare. U would think just sitting on a mower wouldn't be much to compare rite. Well I noticed it felt like it sat a bit higher an maybe a touch narrower than my tiger. Also I noticed ya have to lean up a little to see the edge of the deck. Other than that I really liked what I saw. Anyone got a cheetah an a tiger an if so whats the difference as far as power with the 2 speed trans, any problems with slopes, hows does it handle as far as comfort compared to the tiger....
            Hey Danny!
            If you're lookin for speed, tape a cheetah to your back!

Comment

Was reading over some old post and came across this one. Yesterday looked at the new scag cheetah. I mow alot of vacant lots, most are 12 acres or more. I use a 60" ztr to mow curbs, lot pins and shutoffs. I need a mower that can cut heavy grass and weed in 1 pass and leave no stringers. Dealer told me the scag will mow this no problem. Question is :Are they as good as they say?

Comment

Did you ask them if you could demo a model and use it in the way you would normally use it to test it out?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Yes, Dealer told me I could demo it for a week. He will also bring it to the job and pick it up.I have never bought new equipment always old. Like the fact that dealer will supply a loaner if the new one goes down

Comment

Was reading over some old post and came across this one. Yesterday looked at the new scag cheetah. I mow alot of vacant lots, most are 12 acres or more. I use a 60" ztr to mow curbs, lot pins and shutoffs. I need a mower that can cut heavy grass and weed in 1 pass and leave no stringers. Dealer told me the scag will mow this no problem. Question is :Are they as good as they say?
                    Honestly prob not. I have been in the business for more then 20 years. Except in 2 cases I could not tell what mower cut a property if the deck was properly set up by the DEALER. Guess what most of the time the mowers do not drive off of the truck we do some of the assembly including checking that the deck is level and pitched correctly. As for the Scag Cheetah or Tiger Cub the tiger cub will be stronger as far as the hydros and in my opinion will last longer. As the integrated drive units as far as history have not done as well over time. I am not however a scag dealer so for the most part I do not recommend scag units
                    I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Thanks, I have tried about every ztr on the market. What is your pick of a good mower to do what I want. It needs to be a ztr as I have to many acres to walk.

Comment

I wanted the cheetah but I demo the tiger cat an for the money I liked the tiger cat best.. Save about 2 grand an I like the old hydros that are proven better from listing to to other lawn care guys in my area... Im happy with it so far...

Comment

Thanks, I have tried about every ztr on the market. What is your pick of a good mower to do what I want. It needs to be a ztr as I have to many acres to walk.
                          If you want to cut thick tall grass. Why not get a bush hog? Then finish mow it with what you got?

If your looking to do it with a Z, get one with a 35hp engine so it doesnt bog down.

Comment

Thanks for the imput. I have brush hogs. Just trying to get mowing done faster. Takes a 35' trailer to haul a 60" brush hog and a 12' bat wing mower on. Looked at Scag because of deck thickness, and then I could change blades and use it for finish mowing.I could also go to a smaller trailer. Kut Kwick has what I need but it's too pricey,and not a good finish mower. Maybe I'm asking too much for a ztr?

Comment

Sorry for the delayed reply I have been putting in long hours at work still getting ready for my spring rush and taking care of the guys that plan ahead. To answer your question I would recommend a Hustler Xone over a scag turf tiger for one it will save you money, has a longer warranty and do the same job. As for the scag deck thickness they advertise better then most however you will find Xmark, Hustler, Grasshopper, Bob-Cat all have just as durable of a deck in some cases more so as the Scag decks have a tendency to split where the deck comes to a point under certain impacts(this crack will continue until the deck is destroyed)

Personally of all of the scag units I would buy the Wildcat. These are the reasons why. However to give you a personal recommendation I would need to know more about your property. Like how often you plan to cut, how much acreage and what kind of hills or terrain you have. As each mower has advantages or we would only have one design.

Reasons I do not like the Turf Tiger

Drive Shaft and Gear Box - the belt will ALWAYS break on the deck as sticks and grass will get caught in between the belt and pulleys. The drive shaft is 4 bearings and universal and a gear box to maintain and eventually replace.

Horizontal shaft engine - This engine requires either a mule drive system or a drive shaft both that require more moving parts and rob the engine of power.

Reasons I do not like the Cheetah

5400 Transmissions - Integrated Drive systems have so far proven not to last as long as Pumps and Wheel Motors. The engineers at scag know this however they are cheaper to buy so they ignore this fact.

Flex Cables on the control arms - This is just scary to me a flex cable tends to break when flexed in the middle enough and this is how you control the mower To me this alone is enough to buy a turf tiger.
                              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X