Mower kaput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mower kaput

I know its been a long time since i posted.. I am still lurkin tho...

Did a very smart thing and let a rope in the truck bed keep the tail gate from completely closing.. didnt even make it out the neighborhood.. it opened and my little 20 in self proppelled fell out on his head Well the string would not pull so I took it home and took off the fly wheel to see what could be done. I figure it was screw so I put it all back together and it started no problem. I mowed 2 yards and on the second one it started sputtering and went off. Now it wont start and when I pull the cord I get no resistance. WTF and how do I fix it? Its just a lawn boy but I am not making money doing lawns and would rather just stop than to buy another one. I case I sound crazy right now, know I make 90% of my money doing tree trimming and removal along with clean ups and mulch jobs. Any advice is deeply appreciated

I'm not sure what the problem could be but theres always a bunch of people selling small mowers on craigslist. Maybe pick up something used that's running good for cheap. This is of coarse if you can't fix your problem.

This same thing happened to me at the beginning of the season. Had my honda in the back bed insted of on the trailer. (cause i had gone out earlier to do a small property with no parking) Something happened and the tailgate popped open. Out came the honda. Somehow I didn't run it over with the trailer but all that broke was the pull cord. I fixed it and left it alone for the day so the fluids could settle. Started right up and still runs. Crisis avoided.

Comment

I wish I had your problems.

Not to trivialize your troubles, but that's a pretty minor expense to have to replace. Be thankful for that.

Comment

I wish I had your problems.

Not to trivialize your troubles, but that's a pretty minor expense to have to replace. Be thankful for that.
        ....... I realize that I could purchase another one for $300 obviously... that however, was not the question being presented. I am looking for technical advice on how to repair the current mower if it is possible.

Comment

Lawn mower took a spill, eh?

I say let it sit for a few hours. Sputtering usually means it's out of a liquid, or the engine could be flooded.

A lot of times in this business, a broken piece of equipment will randomly decide to work again, when it feels like it.

For me, my equipment will break and randomly fix itself while I'm trying to explain to the repair shop what's wrong with it. My equipment hates me, and makes me look like a stupid liar.

Me: Yeah, the trimmer runs properly for the first few minutes, but then it bogs down.

Repair guy: Oh, well let me take a look!

... *The trimmer runs perfectly*...

Comment

Well the string would not pull so I took it home and took off the fly wheel to see what could be done. I figure it was screw so I put it all back together and it started no problem. I mowed 2 yards and on the second one it started sputtering and went off. Now it wont start and when I pull the cord I get no resistance.
            You gotta find out if it's the string pull component. I would imagine it is. Who knows what kind of beating it took falling like that.

Why not take it back off and have a look at how the starting mechanism is working. See if you can spin it by hand.

Take some pictures and keep us posted.
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Working...
            X