Jump Starting a Lawnmower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump Starting a Lawnmower

My stander wouldnt start so I jumped it with truck and it ran fine. Until I had to start it again.

This time I tried to jump it with my ZTR. Well that didnt work. I had to use the truck again.

The problem is about 5 minutes after doing this the ZTR stopped running. I tried jumping it with the truck but didnt get any crank, hour meter never turned on, nothing.

I cant find a multimeter to check the battery but I have it on the charger. Do you guys think I couldve burnt something up by jumping the other mower?

Found the multimeter the batter is at 12.7 volts. So any ideas?

Comment

Is there a celenoid that could have burned up??

Comment

Is there a celenoid that could have burned up??
        probably is but this mower was running when I used it to try to start the other. I dont see how this would effect anything in the starting system other then fuses. Even if the solenoid was bad the hour meter would come on as soon as the key was turned.

Comment

There should be a fuse in the starter circuit. Give it a good look over and see if you can find it.

Comment

Your 12V batter should have 14.5 V. dont believe me check your truck battery. You need to check your main fuse, about a 20 or 30 AMP. There should be a wire running from your P battery connection to the rest of your machine, and one going to the start solenoid. the fuse should be in the smaller wire. You should NOT use your lawn mower to jump start anything as your lawn mower only puts out about 5 amps I think, and jump starting anything will ruin your mowers ability to recharges its own battery. As has happened to you.

Comment

My stander wouldnt start so I jumped it with truck and it ran fine. Until I had to start it again.

This time I tried to jump it with my ZTR. Well that didnt work. I had to use the truck again.

The problem is about 5 minutes after doing this the ZTR stopped running. I tried jumping it with the truck but didnt get any crank, hour meter never turned on, nothing.

I cant find a multimeter to check the battery but I have it on the charger. Do you guys think I couldve burnt something up by jumping the other mower?
              I bet you blew the solenoid, most likely you will also find a fuse blown as well with your description. We see a lot of electrical problems with mowers after someone trys to jump them with trucks. In fact if you have a fuel injected mower and jump it with a truck you can do hundreds of dollars in damages.
              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

I bet you blew the solenoid, most likely you will also find a fuse blown as well with your description. We see a lot of electrical problems with mowers after someone trys to jump them with trucks. In fact if you have a fuel injected mower and jump it with a truck you can do hundreds of dollars in damages.
                Are jumper packs safe or do you need to change out the battery?

Comment

I bet you blew the solenoid, most likely you will also find a fuse blown as well with your description. We see a lot of electrical problems with mowers after someone trys to jump them with trucks.
                  Why does that happen? Does it come down to too many amps going into the mower electrical system?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                  Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

This problem happen before I tried to connect it to the truck. This is the mower I tried to jump the other mower with. The other mower was jumped with the truck 3 times and is fine.

I'm going to check all fuses. If its not that I'm guessing a safety or ignition.

Comment

It was the fuse by the battery. Everything is in working order.

Comment

Glad you found your problem. I had my ignition fuse blow on my Hustler for no apparent reason. My solenoid is sticking.(Has been doing this since the 2nd week I owned it) I have 103 hrs on it now and will be taking it to the dealer after mowing season ends to have them fix it.

Comment

Why does that happen? Does it come down to too many amps going into the mower electrical system?
                          I honestly have never thought much about it other then that is what happens.
                          I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Are jumper packs safe or do you need to change out the battery?
                            on an EFI I try not to even use jumper packs, but I have used them to get the mower to a location that I can charge the battery at.

Comment

I had that happen and looked over the entire wireing harness, to find a little tiney rub spot on one wire. It may or may mot have been grounding out, but I wrapped with tape and have no more problems. I hope that you do not have to go through this looking, it took almost 3 months to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X