Sharp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp

Hey what do you guys use to sharpen mower blades? I know grinders work well but can be pricey. Are there cheaper ways?

i have a bench grinder made by ryobi. i think i paid like $45 for it at home depot.

Comment

I use an angle grinder. A lot of people like to use bench grinders. Both are actually inexpensive to buy.

Comment

If you wanna safe some serious coin you can try hand filing it. Probably cost you under $10 and your entire weekend.

But seriously, they do sell some cheap grinders now a days. Tag sales and flea markets along with craigslist might be good places to look for some used deals.

Comment

You can get a angle grinder for $20-$40 and a bench for $40-$60. Thats less then it would cost to pay someone to sharpen a few sets of blades.

The only expensive grinder is the ones specifically made for sharpening blades.

Comment

Cool I did not know that. When I looked it had all these special made grinders for blades for over $100 I was thinking uhhh really? So I will definitely look into these grinders. Thank you everyone for your help

Comment

Cool I did not know that. When I looked it had all these special made grinders for blades for over $100 I was thinking uhhh really? So I will definitely look into these grinders. Thank you everyone for your help
              it all depends on the quality of job you are trying to do, the blade grinders give you the correct angle and do a better job. However a bench grinder is much cheaper and will take metal off of the blade and is better then nothing.
              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

I hate a bench grinder and I refuse to pay $1100 for an oregon sharpener. the problem with a bench grinder is it's very difficult to keep the same angle, you will get a sharp edge but the edge will be very inconsistent (thinner & thicker along the edge) I use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with 36 grit flap discs and a vice to sharpen mine. I am sure my angle isn't perfect but I think this is much better than a bench grinder.

Comment

the problem with a bench grinder is it's very difficult to keep the same angle,
                  Couldn't you make some kind of jig to hold / rest it against and get the perfect angle each time?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                  Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Couldn't you make some kind of jig to hold / rest it against and get the perfect angle each time?
                    you probably could but most people don't have the tools to make the jig. What I did before I could afford a vice is got a cheap C-clamp and clamped the blade to the angle iron on the top of my open trailer. You can go to a pawn shop and find a decent grinder for pretty cheap & C-clamps are pretty cheap too.

Comment

I use a bench grinder and then a 22" mill file to get 'er really smooth

Comment

most bench grinders have a rest that you can use to get a better edge. Personally I think they do a better job then a hand held grinder. But they do not do as good of a job as a blade grinder. The big thing on a ztr is balancing the blades though and that is hard to do with either grinder.
                        I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X