Build dethatchers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build dethatchers

Last spring I purchased a custom made dethatcher for my 36" Lesco. Now I have a 54" Lesco and need another dethatcher...so I decided to buy a welder and make my own.

Last winter...wait we didn't really have a winter in Minnesota. So I'm thinking that this year I would fabricate a bunch of dethatchers and try to sell them on craigslist, etc.

What do you all think?

Advice, good or bad I'll take it. Thanks everyone.

I think that would be pretty cool!

Good way to make a few extra dollars! Go for it!

Comment

Thanks man...yeah I was hoping to make enough to put a nice down payment for a new mower...or whatever.

Thanks dude.

Comment

so what would be your cost to make them time and supplies

Comment

I'll hopefully have that answer this week. I'm trying to find a source to purchase bulk in steel...so as of yet I don't have an answer.

As far as labor, I think the first couple I make could take 2-3 hours. But after that I'll develop a system and pump them out pretty quick. But this all remains to be seen.

Comment

Do you have any experiance welding? Because the welds are going to need to be done very well for something like this to hold up.

Comment

Do you have any experiance welding? Because the welds are going to need to be done very well for something like this to hold up.
              Great point...yes I have some experience welding. Mainly in stick welding, which I've heard is far more difficult than wire feed welding. I plan on building a couple for my mowers and testing them out before I try to sell one for someone else.

I am not planning on mass producing dethatchers in an effort to put jrco out of business...it's more of a side project/hobby during the winter.

Thanks guys keep the thoughts coming.

Comment

I learned to weld in high school shop on a stick welder first, I picked that up really quick. Then we had to learn on a wire welder, I had a very hard time with one of those. Now I have two wire welders and use them alot. A buddy of mine has a stick welder like I learned to weld on at his shop, I cant't weld for crap with a stick welder anymore. I wan't to get a tig welder now so I can learn to weld stainless and aluminum.

Comment

I want one for my Toro....I will be your test DUMMY...holla soldier...
                  08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
                  05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
                  4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
                  3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                  1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                  20' Enclosed trailer
                  18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
                  2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

No problem Ring!

Comment

we need some prototype pics

Comment

is this kind of like what your making tread

Comment

we need some prototype pics
                          Good call...I'll take pics of my dethatcher on my 36" tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                          X