Remove Blade Brake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Blade Brake

A friend gave me a Craftsman push mower but it needs repair. It has a blade brake that is now permanently engaged. I just want to remove it but I can't figure out how to get the "fly wheel" off. The brake is under it.

Here's photos. Any advice?
    Attached Files

It's hard to tell from the photos but maybe try a puller. The kind with the 3 claws/arms. This should pull that sucker right off but again it's hard to tell if it's attached anywhere else.

Comment

you should use a knock off tool that threads on the shaft so you can hit it with a hammer and knock the flywheel loose. a 3 jaw puller is likely to crack the flywheel.
      I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Would a fly wheel puller help?

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I also use the thread on whacker tool like wand ,and in a pinch a piece of hardwood over the end of the cranckshaft,and from the looks of the picture it appears your flywheel key is due for replacement ,but that just might be the angle of the camera .

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'd need a puller tool.

I'll take it to mechanics. Not much time to work on it.

Comment

Working...
            X