No announcement yet.

Blades Sharpened - How Do They Look?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what they looked like minutes before I took them to be sharpened...

I had used a file to sharpen them.

#1 is the original blade from the start of last season.
    #2 was purchased midway through last season.
    #3 was purchased at the beginning of this season.

I'm still learning, but from everything I've read, you're supposed to keep the angle consistent across the lengths as you go. I did not put an angle on the flat, bottom side - just lightly rubbed the file across it to remove any tiny burs from sharpening the top side.

I don't see how the hell I'm supposed to resharpen the blades now that they are in the shape they are in.

Comment

You should be able to fix them on a blade grinding machine yet. I would be looking for someone new to be doing my blades from now on

Comment

OK, so the general consensus is that I am justified in voicing my concerns over the job done?

I thought they looked like a monkey did them, but I've never actually SEEN a sharpened blade, so I wasn't sure if it was something worth "complaining" about.

As far as I'm concerned, they destroyed them, as I can't even follow the correct angle if I try to file them myself.

Comment

Those blades arent really that light... They shouldn't have blued the blade... Period. I could see a LCO owner maybe bluing it, or a home owner... but the shop that does this on a daily basis... This is out right stupidity.

Sure you could just sharpen the tip... not follow the true angle... But the blade is so much thinner then, will not hold the proper edge. Thats why they sharpened it on that angle in the first place when they are new.

With the money I spend at my dealer, this WOULD NOT fly... Point blank.

Think about this for instance... Would you take your freshly sharpened chainsaw out of that shop with bluing on the chain... No, I doubt you would. Same deal with a mower blade.

Inexcusable lazyness is what this is...

Comment

complaints are well worth it.

Matter of fact, they should sharpen those same blades at no cost and throw in a new set.

If you do not complain then they will think you are just another guy they can scrw over with a quick job.

If you do, then they know they can't pull one over on ya.

Comment

OK, so the general consensus is that I am justified in voicing my concerns over the job done?

I thought they looked like a monkey did them, but I've never actually SEEN a sharpened blade, so I wasn't sure if it was something worth "complaining" about.

As far as I'm concerned, they destroyed them, as I can't even follow the correct angle if I try to file them myself.
              Yes your justified in voicing your concerns over the bad job, and you can ask for the new blades but I would not expect that you will get them. The best your going to get is hopefully they will fix them and do them the correct way.
              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Comment

I am actually doing them tomorrow and will try to remember to take pic.[/QUOTE]

These are mine sharpened. I actually didn't use the grinder this time. I have a attachment for my dremel that works great, well at least I think so.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is what i use for balancing a blade.

Comment

Good blade info.
                      http://www.magna-matic.com/uploads/3...8_geometry.pdf

Comment

Only have a few hedge trimming jobs tomorrow, so I'm taking the blades back in.

I'm going to ask to have them resharpened and have the blade I just bought at the end of March replaced since there wasn't anything wrong with it until it was "sharpened". (heck, none of them were all that bad actually)

I tried touching up the one on the mower with a file today, as it didn't seem to be cutting well. What a joke - no single angle to follow thanks to the "sharpening" they did.

Comment

UPDATE:

I went to the dealer today. Unfortunately it was really busy and the owner was with a customer, so when it was my turn at the counter, I presented the blades to the guy who was available and asked "What's your opinion on the way these were sharpened?"

He looked at the one on top, squinted his eyes as though he was wincing, and said "Did WE do that?"

I told him that I normally just run a file along them, but when I tried that on the newly "sharpened" blade, I couldn't even find the ONE angle to sharpen it.
                          "Can you give me a minute, I can get these fixed up for you", and off he went, shaking his head in disbelief.

When he returned they were all looking much better. (I'll post pics later)
                          He then stated, "I know who did this - new kid in the shop - he's gonna hear about it on Monday." Hopefully he does say something.
                          Oh, and he told me they weren't balanced very well either.

I still plan on stopping back and requesting to have at least one blade replaced - the one I just bought last month.

Comment

HEDGE: I would take the worst blade you have and practice on perfecting your grinding skills.
                            I use a 8" bench grinder DELTA 1/2 HP...This will save you crazy $$$ & time...
                            We sharpen blades everyday...
                            08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
                            05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
                            4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
                            3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
                            1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
                            20' Enclosed trailer
                            18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
                            2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

I was going to ask how you check for balance on the blade after sharpening, but then I saw you had a dealer do it. But then.... I thought it still might be a good idea to double check them.

I found some pics of nice sharpened edges to help with comparing.

Wow! How do you get blades to look like that!? I'd like to know. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X