Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZTR Deck Cleaning - How Do You Clean One?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZTR Deck Cleaning - How Do You Clean One?

In a few short weeks the mowers will be running.

I recently picked up my first ZTR and I've never operated a large mower before - not even a wide deck walk behind, so I thought I should figure something out BEFORE I need to do this.
    (my mower: http://www.gopherforum.com/showthrea...ight=husqvarna)

I'm used to unloading my 21" mower at home, tipping it on it's side, and blasting the grass clippings away with a garden hose.

NOW what do I do???

I mean, it DOES have a washout connection to snap a hose onto the deck, but my Toro has one too and it's pretty much useless in my opinion, as it only does a partial job of clearing the gunk built up under the deck - that's why I just tip it on it's side.

Any suggestions from those who work with this type of unit is appreciated.

In a few short weeks the mowers will be running.

I recently picked up my first ZTR and I've never operated a large mower before - not even a wide deck walk behind, so I thought I should figure something out BEFORE I need to do this.
    (my mower: http://www.gopherforum.com/showthrea...ight=husqvarna)

I'm used to unloading my 21" mower at home, tipping it on it's side, and blasting the grass clippings away with a garden hose.

NOW what do I do???

I mean, it DOES have a washout connection to snap a hose onto the deck, but my Toro has one too and it's pretty much useless in my opinion, as it only does a partial job of clearing the gunk built up under the deck - that's why I just tip it on it's side.

Any suggestions from those who work with this type of unit is appreciated.
    I do not recomend the washout connection as it can damage spindles and does not really do a good job. the best job comes from a putty knife rounded off with a little work.
    I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

JUNGLE JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use some jack stands if you ever have to get under there though.
      Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

I would not trust that not to bend the deck or frame on a homeowner unit I would look at a mojack system. or maybe use some car ramps.
        I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

I have heard nothing but bad reviews on those units...

Comment

I have heard nothing but bad reviews on those units...
            yeah? I like them.

Comment

I do not recomend the washout connection as it can damage spindles
              How can they damage spindles?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I do not recomend the washout connection as it can damage spindles and does not really do a good job. the best job comes from a putty knife rounded off with a little work.
                Are you related to the underpants gnomes?

Step 1: ?

Step 2: Putty knife

Step 3: It's CLEAN!

Was more or less wondering how you GET to the underside to clean it.

p.s.
                I picked up a pack of "composite" scrapers at Harbor Freight last season for scraping the built up debris from the underside of my Toro deck. They work great and wont scratch. (not that there's much paint left under there)

Comment

I just Googled "Mojack".

Looks nice, but for $300 it's going to have to wait.

I'll have to use the truck ramps I already have, or dig myself a service pit in the driveway.

Comment

I just Googled "Mojack".

Looks nice, but for $300 it's going to have to wait.

I'll have to use the truck ramps I already have, or dig myself a service pit in the driveway.
                    I sell them less then $250 in my shop I am not sure what shipping would cost on it but I am sure other dealers sell them cheaper locally as well. Not a high markup item nor something that flys out the door so you can buy in bulk enough to get a discount.

Comment

It's been a long winter with no income. If it were $200 it would still have to wait.

That doesn't change the fact that I will need to clean under the deck and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit from the input given in this thread.
                      As I learn more, I'll be able to make an informed decision on what method/product would be best for me when the time comes.

I haven't looked into what all is involved in removing my deck - perhaps that would be just as easy?

How often do you guys with ZRTs clean under your deck?
                      Like I said, I hose off my push mower EVERY day so the grass doesn't get a chance to harden on there.

Comment

Mo-jack is too big to take with you daily. Junglejack is portable, just stick it in the pickup or lash it to the trailer.

Comment

It's been a long winter with no income. If it were $200 it would still have to wait.

That doesn't change the fact that I will need to clean under the deck and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit from the input given in this thread.
                          As I learn more, I'll be able to make an informed decision on what method/product would be best for me when the time comes.

I haven't looked into what all is involved in removing my deck - perhaps that would be just as easy?

How often do you guys with ZRTs clean under your deck?
                          Like I said, I hose off my push mower EVERY day so the grass doesn't get a chance to harden on there.
                          First time I cleaned mine!
                          I drive mine up on truck ramps and used a puddy knife I rounded off so it would be easy to scrape the grass build up off and would not catch on the corners. Then spray clean with a garden hose.

Now all I have to do is just spray off little if any grass build up. I found some silicone spray at Menards, Almost just like (fluid film) but way cheaper and spray that on there.

Sorry for such a long reply I hope this helps.

Comment

Mo-jack is too big to take with you daily. Junglejack is portable, just stick it in the pickup or lash it to the trailer.

My first thought was "WHY would you want to take it WITH you every day?", but I started thinking about mowing when grass is a little wet and how I will clean the gunk off between jobs - on my 21" mower.

I was thinking "end of day" cleaning, or "as needed".

Do people really clean ZTRs between jobs? I don't know - that's why I'm asking.

Comment

Sometimes you've got to stop and scrape the deck in the middle of a job.

Comment

Working...
                              X