Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Husqvarna vs Toro (Residential Models)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZTR was delivered about an hour ago.
    Pushed it off the truck and into the garage where it will sit until it warms up in a few days. It's about 10 now with snow on the ground - I'll wait.

I fully expect some sort of problem, like the battery being dead or something.

Time will tell.

Comment

thats not what I was expecting ,I thought at the very least you would shovell your lawn ,then cut your grass today Hedgemaster ,I am feeling a little let down right now with the complete lack of a review on your new toy .

Comment

thats not what I was expecting ,I thought at the very least you would shovell your lawn ,then cut your grass today Hedgemaster ,I am feeling a little let down right now with the complete lack of a review on your new toy .
        LOL!

This reminds me of the motorcycle I got when I was 14.
        Christmas day and there's a dirt bike with a red ribbon on it - and 2 feet of SNOW!

Comment

Haha! As expected*, it won't start!

I figure it's a loose wire for something that senses that the steering arms are in neutral, or the parking brake. That, or a dead battery. I checked the fuses (2) and the seat cutoff wire is plugged in. Not sure what else I can check.

I called the warranty people and someone answered within 30 seconds. She promptly connected me to a service technician who walked me through how to check that seat shutoff connection - said they sometimes need to be unplugged and plugged back in. Didn't help.

Someone's coming to look at it tomorrow afternoon.

*Always expect the worst. You will never be disappointed.

Comment

Well, after a lot of looking and testing wires, and head scratching, the problem was discovered.

The mount for the steering control arm thingymabob is broken - the bottom part that depresses the "cutoff" switch allowing the thing to start when the arms are in the outer, locked/neutral position.

Here's the left arm mount - no problem...

Here's the right arm mount...

The broken piece was still in the slot and I was able to pull it out with needle nose pliers...

By depressing the switch with a screwdriver, we were able to start it - sort of. It didn't want to run.

He ordered a new part for the control arm and ordered a new carb as well - just to have it handy in case it needs replaced. Said he'd make sure it was running OK when he comes back to replace the other part next Friday.

Here she sits, all alone in the clutter of my garage...

Comment

Does it look like something that could be quickly welded back together or is the metal some kind of cast that would take a weld?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Does it look like something that could be quickly welded back together or is the metal some kind of cast that would take a weld?
                it is cast but it could be welded, However since it is under warranty he might as well have them fix it for free.

I hope they do not charge you for the carb, I do not often have to replace a carb on a kohler courage engine, the load bearing seem to go first.
                I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Yeah, no sense repairing a part that can be replaced for free.

When it did start, it just kept sputtering out. He put some gas down in a hole where the air filter sits and got it going, but it wouldn't stay running.

I hate to lose out on a good deal, but if things don't improve, I always have the option of returning it.

Like I have mentioned before, this is not unexpected. I expect the worst with any NEW purchase, so a "floor model" with "baggage" is hardly a shock.
                  I wish I could be 100% certain, but I THINK the arms were moving freely when I sat on it in the store. I'm wondering if the guys who delivered it banged that arm into something, causing the break.

It just sucks that I couldn't get it outside and try it out today. The snow has mostly melted and I need to be sure it all works properly. I can't just wait until spring to find that there's something wrong, or I decide I don't like it - I only have so long to return it. Now I have to wait until next week and hope the snow holds off.

Comment

I was bored today, so I went down to the garage and waxed everything but the deck - I'll do that tomorrow.

I was bored this evening, so I posted this.

I'm thinking I need a name for the mower. If I attached a confederate flag and slapped some "01" decals on the sides, I could call it the General Lee!!!

Yeah... I need something to do...

Comment

So how long was it home before you washed and waxed it ???
                      and how many times have you been caught out in the garage sitting it making motor noises.

Comment

When it did start, it just kept sputtering out. He put some gas down in a hole where the air filter sits and got it going, but it wouldn't stay running.
                        I do not understand why it was delivered to you in this condition. First off don't they start the mower to load and unload it. 2nd the carburetor would be a repairable item a little cleaning and they are done. Again it should never have been sold in that condition. Hell I would bet that the deck has never been leveled so make sure they check that.
                        I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

It really doesnt make sense that they didnt even try to run it to get it on the truck ,people are generally lazy ,starting it up and driving it on would be the first choice .I bet the delivery crew broke it ,OR it might of been a customer return and the previous owner broke it upon initial set-up .I have been to a few of those sears buggered-and-bent stores ,and they are filled with customer returns ,damaged items ,repaired items ,new shelf pulls etc ,so who really knows about your mower .If my wife has a customer change their mind on brand new appliances ,they automatically get sent to a buggered and bent store even if they are unopened .I personally wouldnt worry about it ,you have snow on the ground ,no grass growing for several months,and a warranty which should have your new machine running as well as it should by the time you do need it .Not sure about sears policies in the us ,but you can even buy the extended service agreement on the machine right up untill the original warranty runs out if you feel you need it or want it .

Comment

I do not understand why it was delivered to you in this condition. First off don't they start the mower to load and unload it. 2nd the carburetor would be a repairable item a little cleaning and they are done. Again it should never have been sold in that condition. Hell I would bet that the deck has never been leveled so make sure they check that.
                            Honestly, I don't know, but I'd rather they DIDN'T start it to load/unload. All I could picture was a bunch of warehouse rats playing with it as they loaded it.
                            I REALLY didn't want to have it delivered, but I had already put my trailer away. I honestly think that piece was broken during delivery. I looked at the pics I took in the store and while it's not a great pic, it looks to be OK there.

Hey, if he wants to replace the carb with new, who am I to argue? He didn't really say why he thought it may need replaced - maybe he was thinking it had old gas funking it up? No idea really.

I seriously doubt the deck was leveled. I'll ask about it when he comes back next Friday. I was reading about that in the owner's manual.

Comment

It really doesnt make sense that they didnt even try to run it to get it on the truck ,people are generally lazy ,starting it up and driving it on would be the first choice .I bet the delivery crew broke it ,OR it might of been a customer return and the previous owner broke it upon initial set-up .I have been to a few of those sears buggered-and-bent stores ,and they are filled with customer returns ,damaged items ,repaired items ,new shelf pulls etc ,so who really knows about your mower .If my wife has a customer change their mind on brand new appliances ,they automatically get sent to a buggered and bent store even if they are unopened .I personally wouldnt worry about it ,you have snow on the ground ,no grass growing for several months,and a warranty which should have your new machine running as well as it should by the time you do need it .Not sure about sears policies in the us ,but you can even buy the extended service agreement on the machine right up untill the original warranty runs out if you feel you need it or want it .

Yeah. We got our washer, dryer, and refrigerator from a Sears Outlet (We call 'em "Scratch and Dent" stores) Each of them were new - never used. They were damaged upon delivery and returned. The refrigerator has a ding on the side facing the wall and the washer/dryer we didn't care about dents on the front - who cares?

I DID ask the guy who sold it to me if they needed the key and he said "No, they will push it onto the truck". He then said it may be a good idea to leave it "Just in case". I took the manuals/extra key - he suggested I do that so it couldn't be misplaced.

As for the warranty. I did add the 5 year, in-home protection plan. (Meaning they come to YOU) I figured I have one year to decide if I want to keep it, or cancel it.

These are some of the things to consider when deciding to buy from someone other than a dealer. I knew the pros/cons going into this, so that's why I'm not screaming and shouting. It is what it is. It's a residential mower that came at a very good price, but without fast, personal attention.
                              If it gets taken care of to my satisfaction, I end up with a ZTR for a thousand dollars or more less than any comparable mower I can find anywhere online.
                              If it doesn't get taken care of, I return it and start looking at walk behinds.

I waxed it because I'm hopeful it will be here to stay.

Comment

Toros are nice but over priced. I bought a PZ5426FX Husqvarna in 2011 love this mower solid machine. I have had Toros and Walkers this is better.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X