No announcement yet.

Walk-behind/Stander?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the advantages of having a stander such as Wright Stander or Toro Grandstander?

Is it better having these than a typical walkingbehind with a sulky?
    What kind of mower/s do you have right now?
    08 F250 Ext Cab/04 Chevy 3500
    05 F350/04 F350 Diesel/12 Ram 4500 Dump
    4 -60 Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48
    3 -8'2" Boss V-Plows
    1- Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
    20' Enclosed trailer
    18' Skid & 16' Open Trailer
    2012 - S185 Bobcat

Comment

What kind of mower/s do you have right now?
      I have a 52" Toro Zmaster. Whatever I get will probably be a 36" because most all I do is in town yards.

Comment

Steve,
        On my SCAG the handle, which is the safety feature, broke off. I welded it but it broke again, itís just in a bad spot so it keeps on breaking, I had no other option but to disengage it. I hate that I had to do it because if you let go it will run away but I kind of had to, I donít have time to weld it every few months.

Comment

Didn't another member of ours on here have an issues with that and flipped his mower down a hill and over a retaining wall, all while it kept running? Hedgermaster I think?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Hydro WB Vs. Stander

I believe that the only fair comparision would be to compare a hydro WB Vs. a Stander (and you could even throw a sit-on Rider into it). The belt driven WB is a (IMO) an entry level or inexpensive addition to a fleet, they have a weaker drive train as compared to the hydro WB. I run a Scag Hydro WB with a Velkie and it has never shown any struggles doing so, as a matter of fact it it will spin the tires if the Velkie hits soft ground. I also believe that if you choose to pull a "Sulky" with a belt drive, than you need to understand the added strain you are putting on your drivetrain.

So if you are trying to decide between a hydro WB and a Stander you have to consider the what the application is, e.g. Primary mower or a secondary mower to compliment a rider, you also need to look at the weight difference between the two. You also need to see what is readliy available in your area (as stated earlier).

I have not ever used a Stander, however I have looked at them and I am somewhat interested in them. I do have one concern that I would like a little thinput from some of you that have used them in the past. Do you have any major issues with low tree branches? It seems to me that standing that tall would just make tree branches that much more of an issue as compared to a WB.

Thank you

Comment

So if you are trying to decide between a hydro WB and a Stander you have to consider the what the application is, e.g. Primary mower or a secondary mower to compliment a rider, you also need to look at the weight difference between the two. You also need to see what is readliy available in your area (as stated earlier).
              You mentioned the weight. Does a stander weigh a great deal more?

Comment

weight

You mentioned the weight. Does a stander weigh a great deal more?
                My thoughts were orginally that they were built on a rider chasis, so they should weigh the same. seemed reasonable in my little pea brain.

I just looked at Scag's Website (sorry I am a Scag fan) and here is what I found out:

I compared all 52" mowers, I picked the mid sized rider (Tiger Cat)

Rider weighs 1100lbs.
                Stand On weighs 860lbs.
                Hydro WB 580lbs.
                Belt Drive WB 535lbs

With concerns of soil compaction and rutting of yards it was just something that I had been curious about. I dont know if the weight difference is really enough to be concerned about.

Comment

... I compared all 52" mowers, I picked the mid sized rider (Tiger Cat)

Rider weighs 1100lbs.
                  Stand On weighs 860lbs.
                  Hydro WB 580lbs.
                  Belt Drive WB 535lbs

With concerns of soil compaction and rutting of yards it was just something that I had been curious about. I dont know if the weight difference is really enough to be concerned about.
                  You've also got to take into consideration that the riders and stand-ons usually have wider tires to spread the weight over a larger surface area.
                  Boughter's Lawn Care Services Mowing and Fertilizing in New Castle, PA

Comment

You've also got to take into consideration that the riders and stand-ons usually have wider tires to spread the weight over a larger surface area.
                    Very True!!

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X