No announcement yet.

Winterizing Equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, what? Can you say that again, but slower?

LOL! Just bustin' yer balls.
    HA! i had a few beers when i wrote that...it sounded good in my head! I swear. I just read that and thinking "what did i just say?"

Darn edit button needs to stay around longer!

Comment

Here is a F.A.Q. that I prepared some time ago regarding this very topic. It is linked to a more detailed article as well. Since then some things have changed as far as the Startron, etc. I agree with wandfsmall regarding the sef fuels. I personally have not used any of the startron but have heard great things about it.
      One of a dying breed; the servicing dealer. A Servicing Dealer services what they sell and are factory certified to make these repairs. Find & support them.

B&S Master Service Technician, Kohler Expert Technician & Honda Engine Technician. Website

Comment

Winterizing

Being a landscaper who also does full time equipment repair and is EETC certified, I would recommend the startron fuel additive. I buy it by the case from Stens and treat all of the fuel that goes into my machines and my customers machines. It has a fuel stabilizer and an ethanol treatment in it. The premixed quart cans of pure fuel are nice if you are a homeowner but what landscaper could afford that. Hell I pay $ 3.00 per can and sell it to my homeowners for $ 4.50 a can. I drain the fuel @ the end of the season.

Comment

Being a landscaper who also does full time equipment repair and is EETC certified, I would recommend the startron fuel additive. I buy it by the case from Stens and treat all of the fuel that goes into my machines and my customers machines. It has a fuel stabilizer and an ethanol treatment in it. The premixed quart cans of pure fuel are nice if you are a homeowner but what landscaper could afford that. Hell I pay $ 3.00 per can and sell it to my homeowners for $ 4.50 a can. I drain the fuel @ the end of the season.
          That is why I recommended the SEF fuel for the last tank. One can of that a year is not that high for the conveyance of a better running 2cycle. Personally I prefer the Ethonal Shield over the startron so if you get a chance try it. Also what did you think of the EETC certification did you learn anything while studying to take it? I personally have never taken it as I have to spend enough time working and keeping up the requirements for the 7 engine lines, 4 equipment lines, and 3 hydro systems, I am certified to work on. But I like to keep up with things to look for on a resume, and if you learned anything it might be worth while.
          Last edited by wandfsmall; 11-09-2011, 09:07 PM.
          I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

I did learn a few things. I took the 2 and 4 stroke tests. In my opinion they were way too easy. Of course you have to consider most of the people that will be taking it probably have nothing more than a high school education. When I took it I looked around the room and what I saw scared me! But you have to consider the average pay scale for most shops is maxed out at about $ 12.00/ hr unless you are the owner like us your not going to make a lot of money in the small equipment repair field. Just wait until the gov steps it up and we have catalytic converters and fuel injection on everything!!! That will separate the men from the boys.

Comment

I did learn a few things. I took the 2 and 4 stroke tests. In my opinion they were way too easy. Of course you have to consider most of the people that will be taking it probably have nothing more than a high school education. When I took it I looked around the room and what I saw scared me! But you have to consider the average pay scale for most shops is maxed out at about $ 12.00/ hr unless you are the owner like us your not going to make a lot of money in the small equipment repair field. Just wait until the gov steps it up and we have catalytic converters and fuel injection on everything!!! That will separate the men from the boys.
              I have been certified for over 10 years on the fuel injection units they are not as bad as you would think. Personally I think the hydro units tend to be what separates the good techs from the bad ones. I am guessing you have never taken the Briggs MST or the Kohler Expert Technician tests, they are challenging enough I know quite a lot of people that have not passed on the first try.
              I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Personally I think the hydro units tend to be what separates the good techs from the bad ones.
                What do you feel about them makes them the toughest to grasp?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What do you feel about them makes them the toughest to grasp?
                  two things FEAR and the fact you have to troubleshoot with theory for the most part as you can not see it working. Most techs just throw parts at it when they rebuild them.

Comment

Working...
                  X