Mower won't start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mower won't start

We're having mower issues, and could use some advice.

We have a Toro Time Cutter Z that will not start until about 2pm in the afternoon. We consulted with the guys at the local mower shop about the problem, and they said it is probably because the oil is cold, due to the cooler weather we've experienced. Anyway, I don't know what's going on. The temps did dip down in the forties a few nights ago, but it is in the high eighties right now (lows around 60).

What would you suggest we do, short of buying a different mower, to remedy this problem? Is it possible the carbureator is gunked-up? Really, I've no idea what to do. - Angela
    "A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business." - Henry Ford

Touchton's Complete Lawn Care

We're having mower issues, and could use some advice.

We have a Toro Time Cutter Z that will not start until about 2pm in the afternoon. We consulted with the guys at the local mower shop about the problem, and they said it is probably because the oil is cold, due to the cooler weather we've experienced. Anyway, I don't know what's going on. The temps did dip down in the forties a few nights ago, but it is in the high eighties right now (lows around 60).

What would you suggest we do, short of buying a different mower, to remedy this problem? Is it possible the carbureator is gunked-up? Really, I've no idea what to do. - Angela
    Well I would check fuel air and spark before you think anything major.
    Colton
    Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

I'd say it's highly unlikely that it's the oil. In over 15 years of small engine repair I have yet to see the oil prevent an engine starting. Does it crank as freely as it should? How does it run once it does start? Are there any other symptoms?
      One of a dying breed; the servicing dealer. A Servicing Dealer services what they sell and are factory certified to make these repairs. Find & support them.

B&S Master Service Technician, Kohler Expert Technician & Honda Engine Technician. Website

Comment

woot superior is on. Not to thread jack but every once in a great while my mower blows white/blue smoke witch is burning oil right(engine warm maybe 30sec worth; strugles to stay on alittle)? Not that it matters but both times it been at my house lol. Do I have a seal going bad or something?
        Colton
        Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

Does it blow smoke only on start up?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Try putting a small space heater wherever you got it (if it's in a garage or shed), and let it run for about a half an hour and then try to start it. Did you have this problem when it wasn't cold?

Comment

I had a car that did this years ago.. Found out the coil was bad..DO a spark test.. Spark should be bright.. Low spark will be like yellowish orangish..

In Memory of My Dad..1943-2008..Gary "Snuffy" Smith

Comment

Working...
              X