No announcement yet.

Trimmer Advice in a Hurry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have at least 9 units with 4Mix, never an issue and most of them are used and probably abused every day, they always start by the second pull and one of the best designs I have seen. Even speaking with the service guys at Deere whom I am close friends with, it is rare they see a 4Mix in and they are by far the largest Stihl dealer around.
    Thanks. I generally don't accept one man's opinion as "fact" (especially on teh interwebs), but this forum doesn't seem to have as many contributing posters as some unrelated forums I'm active in, and from the little bit of time I've spent here, it seems yours are opinions that are worthy of consideration.

That was a pretty long winded compliment, wasn't it?

Dealer opens at 8am!!! I may not sleep tonight!
    No, wait, that's the poison ivy that is keeping me awake.

Comment

Here it is. Woo-hoo! My first piece of commercial grade equipment.

They threw in a 6 pack of oil, a spool of line, and installed the barrier bar for me. I was given a new one out of the box rather than one that was out on the floor, it was filled with fuel, started up, and I was shown how the head is disassembled as well as how to put more trimmer line on the spool. That's the difference between buying from a dealer and buying at a big box store, I guess.

I used it for a few minutes today, but tomorrow, I have some 2-3' tall "grass" that I need to have a conversation with.

Comment

Looks great.

One thing about these Stihl engines on cold starting, push the primer twice, turn the choke on, turn the start switch to on, hold the throttle wide open while giving it a pull, ours start 90% of the time on the first pull, turn the choke off and off you go.

The six pack of oil gets you an additional year of warranty with Stihl, make sure the dealer registered it for you.
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Looks great.

One thing about these Stihl engines on cold starting, push the primer twice, turn the choke on, turn the start switch to on, hold the throttle wide open while giving it a pull, ours start 90% of the time on the first pull, turn the choke off and off you go.

The six pack of oil gets you an additional year of warranty with Stihl, make sure the dealer registered it for you.
          I tried that today - it worked. Thanks!

I asked about the "oil thing" when I stopped in to buy a new gas can - he had never heard of that. I swear I herd him mumbling something about Canadians under his breath though.

Here she is again. Not so clean now...

went from this...

to this...
          (This was as much as the client wanted done, or I would have cleaned up more)

Taking a refueling break...

Comment

I tried that today - it worked. Thanks!

I asked about the "oil thing" when I stopped in to buy a new gas can - he had never heard of that. I swear I herd him mumbling something about Canadians under his breath though.
            Excellent, now for that heavy stuff the largest line this unit will run is the Red Stihl, no idea the size as we have about 8 strings depending on the machine and what they are doing. I used the red in a FS130 last night to clean the driveway, then daughter came by on one of the tractors, showing off.....

As for the oil/warranty, It could be a promo here in Canada, no idea.
            Attached Files
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

UPDATE:

I picked up a Stihl, articulating hedge trimmer attachment for it today!
              I was debating the purchase of an edger attachment, but I think the hedge trimmer will be more useful in the long run. I have a decent Craftsman hedge trimmer, but this baby will give me more "ooompf!" for cutting the heavy stuff as well as extended reach.

and folded into the transport/storage position...

Just loosen two screws on the string trimmer head, slide it off, slip on the hedge trimmer attachment, tighten, and it's ready to go - takes about 60 seconds.

They sell two models - a "straight" one, and this articulating model that has 13 locking positions. Some features are worth the added cost, and even though it's a lot of money for an attachment, it would run me twice that for a dedicated unit.

I got lucky in that a guy I know told me they were having an open house today at the local dealer - everything was 10% off.
              Reg. $229.
              Today it was $204 for a savings of $25.

(I also bought the Toro push mower seen above and got all sorts of free goodies too)

I saved $77 today due to blind luck. Had I not been told about the open house, I would have missed out.
              Heck, I saved more than that actually... he tossed in an $18 fuel can (that I asked to buy) for free.
              I also got samples of fuel additive (to fight that friggin' ethanol) to treat 30 gal of gas, a Stihl t-shirt, A Toro hat, safety glasses, a Toro mug, a digital tire pressure gauge, and a padded trimmer shoulder strap.
              It was like Christmas in July... in March!

Comment

Very nice looking unit. I have a hedge attachment for my echo. Here's a tip that I have found useful. You will find that it will seem a bit heavy. Move your hand forward past the large round handle when you use it, it will seem lighter and give you better control of it as you try to trim.
                http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com

Comment

Very nice looking unit. I have a hedge attachment for my echo. Here's a tip that I have found useful. You will find that it will seem a bit heavy. Move your hand forward past the large round handle when you use it, it will seem lighter and give you better control of it as you try to trim.
                  I'll keep that in mind.
                  This will come in handy for the 8' hedges in my yard.

Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

Stihl

I have the Sthil 110R, I can say one thing about these, They are really tough. I replaced a Husqvarna 226lxi, It lasted 7 years. The difference I noticed between the two. The Sthil doen't bog like the Husky did, but it does not rev up like the Husky did either. After using the Sthil one season, I am VERY pleased with it. I will add another one some time this year. The Sthil weighs a little more then the Husky, but the cut is worth it. I could bog the Husky, I haven't bogged the sthil as of yet. Haven't cut the same grass thou, but I am comparing what I remember of the 226 of a few years ago with that of the 110 now. I will only buy Sthil now. They are worth the $$.

Comment

Old thread back from the dead...

I picked up an edger attachment for the Stihl today.

I have a crappy homeowner unit with a split shaft/attachments that I use for the occasional edging jobs. Well, the ONE time I needed to edge, the lousy thing wouldn't run, so I said screw it, and went and got the better edger attachment for the Stihl.

I'll have to post pics.

BTW, I am still happy with the Stihl. It's not starting up as quickly as it used to, but overall, it's been a good unit. The hedge trimmer attachment has gotten a lot of use, and was certainly a wise investment.

Comment

I found it better to choose a light, but high quality line cutter for edging, etc and a rougher but larger capacity (33cc or greater) for the heavy stuff.

Keep the 'nice' unit nice. Thrash the 'beast'.

The nice unit, maybe a small straight-shaft Tanaka, is light and fast for quality domestic clients. Fit it with the right line and it's a very powerful tool that is light on line use and easier on your body. The 'beast' unit (maybe a lower-cost import multi-tool), can be run on blades, mini hedge trimmer, mini chainsaw, etc.

Also, you then have a back-up if your primary fine quality unit fails, and also put the hard and dirty brush-cutting work (slashing 1/4 - 1/2 acre feral lots, etc) onto the heavier unit whose higher-torque motor can handle more punishment, albeit at a higher fuel expense per hour.

Cheers - GardenGuy.
                        sigpic www.mygardenguy.com.au Lawn mowing, lawn care and gardening services on Sydney's North Shore.

Comment

Here's the new edger attachment!

This was the first time I used it. The grass isn't cut and walk wasn't blown yet.
                          It completely blows the homeowner unit out of the water in terms of powering through the dirt. This attachment isn't as fast to swap as the hedge trimmer attachment I have, so eventually, I'll probably buy a dedicated edger.

Comment

Oh that does look nice!
                            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Help.
                              (posting from phone, bear w/me)
                              My trimmer crapped out on me before I had a chance to upgrade to a commercial trimmer. (just starting out)
                              I need one quickly, and rather than buying cheap, I want to spend money on a good one that will last.

That said, I'm posting from the vet ER waiting room, so there goes the money I thought I had saved up. Sigh.

Looking for something that is "attachment capable" and able to cut tall grasses/weeds as well as routine trimming. Want to add attachments over time.

Locally I'm looking at:
                              Stihl (combi system?) From Stihl dealer - $369?
                              Echo split boom (Home Depot) $299
                              Husqvarna (Lowes) $199

If I were on computer Id look up model numbers, but in mean time, any guidance welcome.

I'm about to head home... will try to post the exact models later.

Thanks!
                              I love Redmax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I love Redmax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                You're about 2 years too late, but I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X