This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop using gasoline now...

Here's an alternative for all of you gasoline hogs. Lehr produces a full line of yard care equipment that runs on propane. They're four stroke, so no more mixing gas and oil. It's a lot cleaner, and since most of the propane used in this country is made here, it reduces our dependency on foreign suppliers. They use common camping propane bottles, and, with an adapter you can refill them from your common large propane grill tank. Go to http://www.golehr.com and check it out. Go green or be left behind choking in your own fumes.
    Last edited by Bob91403; 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM.

Here's an alternative for all of you gasoline hogs. Lehr produces a full line of yard care equipment that runs on propane. They're four stroke, so no more mixing gas and oil. It's a lot cleaner, and since most of the propane used in this country is made here, it reduces our dependency on foreign suppliers. They use common camping propane bottles, and, with an adapter you can refill them from your common large propane grill tank. Go to http://www.golehr.com and check it out. Go green or be left behind choking in your own fumes.
    That is only partially true, Propane is made from Natural Gas and Petroleum, Canada is the biggest supplier to the USA of both and the USA imports 67% of it's fuel consumption. I don't consider Propane a Green product, after all it is made from fossil fuel.
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

You should check your numbers

Go to the website. You'll find out that we produce 85% here. And, it's a HELL of a lot less polluting.

Comment

What Andy mentioned was that the US imports the materials to produce propane. The US may very well produce 85% of its own propane.

Mark

Comment

I stand by my numbers, I have my Masters in Economics althought that is not what I do today, I keep myself educated.

We run diesel in every mower we have, they all burn clean diesel, low sulfer, when we compare diesel, gasoline, and propane regarding their efficiency, It is in here where diesel is more efficient than gas for a comparable engine displacement; you will get more power from a diesel, and about 20% or more in fuel economy, than a gasoline engine. On the other hand, propane, although it burns very cleanly, gives about a 25% loss of power, and efficiency, under gas.
          Andy
          Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Yeah so...

It's still a HELL of a lot less polluting than gasoline. I understand that it might not reduce our imports of oil. But, if the alternative is gasoline, propane seems like a much better choice. Personally, I'm using battery products from Worx. I'm just saying that there are better choices available. You really don't believe that "clean diesel" bull, do you? That's just a marketing ploy. Diesel is more polluting than gasoline. I know it's a matter of economics. Any large equipment operation MUST use diesel for economy. That's not the people I'm talking to. I'm speaking to the average yard care operations that do work for your average home owner. Not the people who do golf courses.
            Last edited by Bob91403; 04-29-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

by all means, if you want to buy me all new propane equipment to replace my gas equipment, be my guest

Comment

No, but...

When your old two stroke motor breaks down you might consider replacing it with something that's cleaner and more reliable. How many times have you had to pull on that cord just to start that thing? A lot of people might see this as an edge. When you can offer a cleaner alternative, you will see more people become interested in your service. Or, you can stick with what you're using now and see your customers switch to a service that has more to offer. I'm just saying there's a lot of competition out there. To distinguish yourself as a cleaner alternative is something a lot of customers will find attractive. In any competitive business it is to your advantage to stand out in a crowd. There are a lot of people out there concerned with reducing their carbon footprint. Why not take advantage of it? It makes them feel better about themselves, and gives you more business. Sounds like a win win situation to me. For less than a grand you can get the self propelled mower, the blower/vacuum/mulcher, the expandable trimmer and some attachments. The prices are comparable to gas equipment, start easier, and are more reliable. Sounds like a good investment to me.

Comment

Bob,

Do you do anything to promote this to your customers? Do you leverage this and use it to stand out from competitors?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                  Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

No, but...

I'm currently using battery products by Worx. My customers love it. I'm just trying to bring a cleaner alternative than gasoline to the awareness of others here. A lot of people have a problem with the limitations of battery products. I can understand that. I'm just pointing out that there are better alternatives to gasoline available.

Comment

I like useing gas and deisle. The power is there. Besides here in South Louisiana we survive with the oil and gas industry. Without it we would have no work at all. I am not willing to give it up over some so called global warming BS.

Comment

I like useing gas and deisle. The power is there. Besides here in South Louisiana we survive with the oil and gas industry. Without it we would have no work at all. I am not willing to give it up over some so called global warming BS.
                        I agree with that comment. I know that we are trying to save the planet and what not, but this ''GREEN'' movement has become more and more ridiculous. I majored in horticulture and I realize how important trees are and everything, but I think that the technology wraped up in these hybrids and propane powered lawn mowers are ahead of there time. In other words, I believe we are moving to fast with technology, that ever since the green thing started, we have been rushed to develop alternative ways of retrieving fuel. I understand the oil spill is horrible in the gulf. But there are people out there that have families and kids to raise, and people depend on these jobs to keep food on the table. We just can't say ''hey, lets drop everything and switch to propane now!'' God I love this country, because you actually have the choice between the two sources of fuel. aLthough I don't know how long that is going to last the way this country is being run.
                        Last edited by gonecountry; 05-01-2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

BS?

As for technology, were not moving fast enough! It is technology that will save us. It's this "I'm just one person, I can't make a difference", complacent attitude that's gotten us into this mess.

Comment

My apologies...

All I was trying to do was point out that there are less polluting alternatives available. I agree that this "green" movement has gotten a bit ridiculous. But, a lot of people are hooked on it. I only see the green advantage in my pocket, by being different than all the other services out there. I, personally, have had great success using Worx battery products. The customers in my area like the idea of NO pollution, and a lot less noise. Some people seem to have a problem with using batteries instead of gasoline. I understand their reluctance. And I'm not telling anyone to get rid of their gasoline equipment and switch to propane, even if I think it would make their business more competitive and profitable. I'm just trying to inform people that there is a marketing advantage that goes along with causing less pollution. You might find yourself losing customers to someone who sees the "green" the way I do, it's $$$$$. I'm not interested in working more than five days a week. I had to stop advertising because my work schedule is full. I have a customer waiting list that I have not used. I haven't lost an account since I started. I don't undercut anyone's prices, but I could because I use NO gas. It costs me pennies to do a yard. No gas powered operation can undercut my prices, even if they hire illegals and pay them in soda cans, they still have to buy gas.

Comment

I, personally, have had great success using Worx battery products. The customers in my area like the idea of NO pollution, and a lot less noise. Some people seem to have a problem with using batteries instead of gasoline. I understand their reluctance.
                              Your operation may work for your business, but what about those people who have a accounts where they mow acres at one account? just how much will they have to charge their customers for LABOR?

Besides, you have me very confused now. First you start out demanding that we use propane because its better of the environment. Now, we find out you don't use them yourself? So now you are telling us that we should use WORX?

Comment

Working...
                              X