• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gator Blades VS. Mulching Blades

Gator Blades

or Mulching Blades

Which produces better results?
    Last edited by Fresh Cut; 12-24-2009, 03:38 AM.

Or is this what I need?

Comment

Personally I run Gators on all equipment and if we have a client we spray but they mow, we tell them where to buy them, not one complaint from me or any of the clients, we all run the high lift for best results.
      Andy
      Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

I guess the Gator Blades are just more of an aggressive blade and shred clippings more so than the mulch blades?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

The only problem with gator blades is, if you have tall wet grass it seems to get a lot of clumps. If you use mulching blades they seem to spread the wet gras out. Gators are great for leaves. I only use gators when leaves start to fall and only then. The gator prices have nearly tripled in price this year.

Comment

I guess the Gator Blades are just more of an aggressive blade and shred clippings more so than the mulch blades?
            Yes it leaves a very fine cut and very small clippings, some guys have issues in wet grass but we do not mow wet grass as you are simply doing the client a disservice and damaging the lawn, if the grass is really tall some folks have issues, it may be the gear I am not sure but we haven't had any issues, there have been extreme cases where we had to go over the tall grass twice but not that often.
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Its kinda hard not to mow wet grass in the spring. With the rain and dew and alittle bit of fertilizer the grass will go 6-8" per week in the spring.

Comment

Personally I run Gators on all equipment and if we have a client we spray but they mow, we tell them where to buy them, not one complaint from me or any of the clients, we all run the high lift for best results.
                What is high lift? Is the Gator blade that I posted 'high lift'?

Also, I wanted to ask you all if there is a difference in some Gator blades. I bought one set at the beginning of last season and another towards the end of the season and they look slightly different. I'll try to find a pic of the second set I bought.

Comment

OK, here is a pic I found of a few different kind of blades lined up.

[IMG]http://www.elm********.com/images/blade%20choices.jpg[/IMG]

I bought my mower used and it came with blades that look similar to #3, #4, & #5. What do you call this kind of blade?

#7 are the blades that I bought at the start of last season. #6 are the blades that I bought near the end of the growing season. Does anyone know the respective name of these two blades? Also, has anyone used both, and, if so, have you noticed a different performance and/or result?

I'm eager to hear responses.
                  Attached Files

Comment

It also must take quite a bit of time to sharpen those gator blades as well!
                    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

It also must take quite a bit of time to sharpen those gator blades as well!
                      No, Steve. You don't sharpen the teeth in the back, only the front blade edge.

Comment

Oh That would be a lot easier.

Comment

Hola everyone!
                          What I've learn, and the guys from the Mower Shop told me was, the "Gator" blades are for mulching, i call them mulching blades. I have set up a mulching-kit on my mower, the ones that are closed and dont shoot out the clippings. so the blades' job (or teeths) is to get rid of the clumps.
                          the disadvantages of having a mulching-kit is that you cant go as fast a you want, much less in tall grass, but the finishing look on the turf is great!
                          they are some advantages ofcourse, but thats another subject.
                          These are the ones I use (Gator's), I dont know about the other kind.

just my 2cents! hope this helps.

Comment

With your mulching kit, do you also use baffles under the deck and around the cutting area of the blade?

Comment

With your mulching kit, do you also use baffles under the deck and around the cutting area of the blade?
                              No sir, My Scag doesnt have, or can install the baffles. unless custom made by a welder.

I belive to use baffles are for better mulching? I will look into that for more information.

Comment

Working...
                              X