Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscaper taking on odd and ends small tree jobs

Hey Guys!

Business is thriving in my second year and I'm super happy, all the blood sweat and tears has turned into profit margins, new tools, new clients and new beginnings so kudos to you all and I wish nothing but success for all of you!

I have begun to take on small tree removal services, I have an entry level STHL chainsaw and STHL axe that work well with some elbow grease.

Quick questions.

As I do not do stump removal services, I tend to tell the homeowner that I can try but not guarantee stump removal. We are not talking large trees, maybe 6 - 8" diameters cedars / spruces or so, sometimes I can get them with proper digging and a lot of swearing :P

As I am not a certified arborist I tend not to have any desire to expand into larger trees or stump removal.

Any suggestions on what I should tell homeowners so that I don't lose the bid versus them hiring a larger tree service company that provides stump removal services as well?

Hey Guys!

Business is thriving in my second year and I'm super happy, all the blood sweat and tears has turned into profit margins, new tools, new clients and new beginnings so kudos to you all and I wish nothing but success for all of you!

I have begun to take on small tree removal services, I have an entry level STHL chainsaw and STHL axe that work well with some elbow grease.

Quick questions.

As I do not do stump removal services, I tend to tell the homeowner that I can try but not guarantee stump removal. We are not talking large trees, maybe 6 - 8" diameters cedars / spruces or so, sometimes I can get them with proper digging and a lot of swearing :P

As I am not a certified arborist I tend not to have any desire to expand into larger trees or stump removal.

Any suggestions on what I should tell homeowners so that I don't lose the bid versus them hiring a larger tree service company that provides stump removal services as well?
    I'm in the same boat as you with tree work. But why not offer stump removal? I rent a stump grinder for a day and so I can offer the complete package. Most rental places will at least rent a small one, which would be adequate for the tree sizes you are talking about.

Comment

You should be able to remove a tree stump with one of those smaller stump grinders. Maybe up to a foot or two wide?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Sub out the work. Ask local tree companies if they do subcontract works. Build a relationship.When someone asks about stump removal or tree work tell them you have to call your tree guy and will get them a quote asap. I even sub out mulch cause I just don't like doing it. Getting paid to make a phone call is always nice.

Comment

I even sub out mulch cause I just don't like doing it. Getting paid to make a phone call is always nice.
          What's your suggestion on how best to handle that? Do you get a % off the job or ask them to just refer you jobs or what's your view?
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

What's your suggestion on how best to handle that? Do you get a % off the job or ask them to just refer you jobs or what's your view?
            I found my mulch guy buy seeing him working.I wrote down his # that was on the side of his truck. I checked his finished work after he was gone and the home owner wasnt there. I called him up and asked if he wanted any extra mulch work when I came across some. He charges 90 a yard. When talking to customers I start negotiating for 150 a yard down to 95. When a customer wants mulch I call my guy,pay him upfront, then I collect payment from customer when work is finished. I always schedule the mulch job for the same time that I am going to be on the property cutting their yard anyway so I can keep a eye on the job. My view is that its free money and it keeps other salesmen away to steal my clients.

Comment

To put that price range into perspective, what do you feel you would need to charge a customer per yard of mulch if you were to install it yourself?

Comment

To put that price range into perspective, what do you feel you would need to charge a customer per yard of mulch if you were to install it yourself?
                I wouldnt. I dont like doing it. When I first started I offered everything and did a lot of stuff I dont like doing. Even after I learned how to price I hated doing it. I enjoy mowing. If I get big enough to have a crew dedicated to shrubs, flowers, mulch, and any other non mowing jobs then I will offer it.

Comment

Now taking on new regular grass cutting ready for April

grass cut
                  strimmed
                  weed treatment
                  hedges trimmed
                  litter picked
                  general tidy

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...