Stump Grinding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2/ inch

I mentioned the $2/inch rate. just as an example but forgot to mention that the particular client i had pictured was a golf course a short distance away, with peat soil and over 650 ash trees. Not saying $2/inch is the going rate but in some cases...

Comment

What made you all add a stump grinder to your equipment roster?

Once you got it, were you glad you did buy it? Did you find there was enough stump grinding work to make it worthwhile or did you have to promote that service to get work?
      I am using the machine that my father bought for his personal use.He used it to remove 40 pine stumps from his back yard. these stumps averaged 16" dia.
      the machine does a very good job.

Yes, I agree, a full size machine is nessary for large jobs.When the time is right, I will invest in a larger self propelled machine

Comment

i had a guy come grind out my stump. theres alot of work involved. .the stump was about 3ft wide by 3ft(big stump) i got a few quotes . 500 bucks here and 400 here. . finally found a guy that said he could do it for 200 bucks. . so i went with him. . started talking to him and he was there for 2 hrs grinding it down. . and he had a HUGE stump grinder that he told me he paid about 6 grand for. . let me tell you it makes a big MESS, wood chips everywhere, now i agreed to pick up the chips myself so i saved alot of money, but that was a work out racking and picking them up. . he said his biggest expense was the part that grinds the stump (the bit) i dont know what they are called lol. .

another thing u need to worry about is underground lines/wires. . .you are pretty screwed if you hit one of them . .

is there money in it?? im sure there is if you know what your doing and can get a few jobs a week doing it on the side!!

just my thoughts!

Comment

is there money in it?? im sure there is if you know what your doing and can get a few jobs a week doing it on the side!!
          I would think if you perform tree services, this would be a great upsell. Also maybe if you happen to have a bunch of stumps in your area, this could be helpful. But just buying one and hoping you pick up some stump grinding services might be tough to do.
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
          Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Marketing

Just purchased a late 60's Vermeer big wheel stumper part of a package deal but i figure it to be worth about 1500 bucks as i break down the package. The heart of my new company. I have secured jobs at 4 golf courses in my area, and with a tree service that just isnt intrested in grinding stumps, this may be a lucrative approach in marketing for me. I also do tree work so it was a no brainer to make the purchase.

If you buy a stump grinder hit up your local golf course superintendent and tree services. Might be easier than you think.

Comment

I have a new contract for the grounds care at a 110 townhouse complex turns out they have a ton of trees that that I have been pruning/trimming for the last 1 1/2 months and I have at least 3 more weeks of of pruing/trimming to do.

These trees are 20 + years old just yesterday I was asked to drop 7 more of the trees this is exclusive to my contract so I will be billing extra for these fortunately (or is that unfortunately) for me I do not have to grind out the stumps though these stumps average 1' - 1 1/2' in diameter.

Comment

I do not have to grind out the stumps though these stumps average 1' - 1 1/2' in diameter.
                Is this a service they could use though or do they not want the stumps ground down? Would it be worthwhile asking them and then renting a machine for the day to do it?
                - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

They could definitely use the service but the townhouse council has decided that they cannot afford grinding the stumps out and can live with the stumps cut right to the ground.

This is really ok with me with all of the work that I have taken on I do not have the time to even think of doing it and I even have a helper working for me for 2 - 4 days a week.

Comment

They could definitely use the service but the townhouse council has decided that they cannot afford grinding the stumps out and can live with the stumps cut right to the ground.

This is really ok with me with all of the work that I have taken on I do not have the time to even think of doing it and I even have a helper working for me for 2 - 4 days a week.
                    I would charge them more for mowing, as leaving stumps cut to the ground WILL someday bend a blade on your mower if not your deck. At least think of burning them down with charcoal... also remind them that a broken ankle will cost them more in a lawsuit then grinding them and you might get the extra work or a referral that could pay you back.
                    I am the owner of www.AllOutdoorParts.com an online mower parts distributor. I am also a Briggs Master Service Technician and Expert Certified Mechanic for Kohler. If my posts helps you please like my facebook page at www.facebook.com/alloutdoorparts

Comment

Mowing, aerating, general lawn care, pruning, trimming are all inclusive pricing in my contract so I'm not able to charge more this year.

I should have been clearer the only trees in the lawn areas that need to come down are smaller I easily nip them down to ground level so my mowers will easily pass over them.

The larger trees are all in garden areas = no issue to me if they do not care if they have a stump sticking out an 1" or so here and there.

Here is the bonus dropping these trees is actually a plus for me = every tree I drop is one less tree I have to prune/trim/rake up leaves or pine needles from and I can drop them and cleanup faster than I can prune them.

I do not pay green dump fees either our local green dump is also the place where I buy bark mulch/gravel/sand etc so it is a free service seeing as they grind it up right there and sell it back to us...

Comment

Around here they charge per inch with a minimum of 50 buck per. i dont know what the per inch is though sorry

Comment

Working...
                        X