22 Acres Disked How Much

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 Acres Disked How Much

Not sure what to charge this would be a big job for me, i would need to rent a tractor.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

This sounds like a large job. While there is nothing wrong with that, why are you shooting for such a large property? Why not smaller properties now?

As far as this size property goes, what kind of equipment are you thinking you would need to mow it? how long would it take you to mow? How much would it cost you to get this equipment?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

This was a email from a add I had out, itís not in my area so I have backed out

Comment

I don't know your current situation but many times it's easier to scale up as you go instead of jumping into larger projects where you just dont have the equipment to service it properly.

I think you handled it great and its good to see your ads are attracting attention!

Keep us posted as you go.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

I can only tell you what I charge for bushhogging. I have a JD 790 with a 5' bushhog. It takes me about 15 hours to mow 10 acres in rough/hilly terrain. I charge $750.00 for this job which works out to about $50 per hour. My normal charge is $75 per hour but this was one of the first jobs I picked up and was unsure what to charge. In your case, it's going to depend on the tractor size, width of the disk, the vegetation in the area, hour hard or soft the ground is. I think you were wise to drop this one till you get some experience under your belt.

Gary
          Totally Green Lawn Care, LLC
          http://www.totallygreenlc.com

Comment

Gary,

How much would he have to spend on equipment to perform this job? Could this be something he could rent or would the renting fee negate the profit?

Comment

I really don't know what a tractor rental would be. However, a 40' man lift in my area is $250 per day. I think a decent size tractor and disk would be significantly more. Then your going to spend $50 to $100 on diesel. Then throw in the potential of an equipment breakdown or some other problem. I think it would be tough to come out on this deal. There's no way I would bushhog if I didn't own my own equipment.

Gary
              Last edited by Totally Green; 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Oh interesting!

Now is this a service you find that you like to market or would you rather have smaller properties?

Comment

I like the smaller properties. When I do the big ones, I hire an operator for $10 an hour. It cuts into profit, but I don't care be on a tractor for 15 hours. The small ones, I do myself. The money is pretty good (until a breakdown wipes out a months profit) and there's a good demand for it.

Gary

Comment

If someone wanted to get into this large property mowing, how much should they be looking to spend on equipment and what kind of equipment would you recommend?

Comment

Now is this a service you find that you like to market
                      I would not buy a tractor to do this. I already owned mine and figured I might as well make some money with it.

Gary

Comment

Well, the JD 790 is too small. I would at least go to the next size up and get a 6' bushhog. Then you need a trailer to haul it and a truck to pull it. You would probably be looking at 25 to 30k new and half that used (not including the truck). I definately would not make this investment unless your in a place that has a large market. Most farmers have there own equipment and most individual don't have a lot of land to maintain. The 10 acres I do belong to a housing development owner. I maintain the property while they are up for sell. Also, I only bushhog this property twice per year. Hard to make a living on that.

Gary

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X