Need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

Ok so I was asked to give a quote on this property today for a weekly service to include mowing, edging, line trimming, power sweeping, and flower bed maintenance. I am at a total loss as to what I should charge as i have only bid on residential properties. I will be using a 48" Z and a 36' walk behind to mow.

So i just wanted to see what other s thoughts were.

Sorry I dont want to post the address for this job as there are other LCO's in my area that visit these forums.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Can't offer much help here, but I use the same pricing scheme to bid all lawn areas, regardless of size. That being said, the biggest area I've ever been asked to quote was 9,000 sq ft, which was a little beyond my capabilities with a 22" push mower.

Comment

Let's break this down so we can more easily digest it all.

Shane,

Can you tell us the following on your weekly service

Mowing
      How much time will this take per week? =
      What would you charge for this? = $

Edging
      Hours per week? =
      Cost? = $

Line trimming
      Hours per week? =
      Cost? = $

Power sweeping
      Hours per week? =
      Cost? = $

Flower bed maintenance
      Hours per week? =
      Cost? = $

What does it cost you, on average, to run your business per hour?
      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Let's break this down so we can more easily digest it all.

Shane,

Can you tell us the following on your weekly service

Mowing
        How much time will this take per week? =
        What would you charge for this? = $

Edging
        Hours per week? =
        Cost? = $

Line trimming
        Hours per week? =
        Cost? = $

Power sweeping
        Hours per week? =
        Cost? = $

Flower bed maintenance
        Hours per week? =
        Cost? = $

What does it cost you, on average, to run your business per hour?
        I think that to do all of the above it will take me in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 hours. Cost is what im trying to figure out steve!

Comment

Well on average when you do a lawn, how long does it take you and how much do you charge for that?

If you REALLY want to get analytical, check out this blog post on

How to calculate your lawn care business overhead costs.
          http://lawnchat.com/?p=179
          - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Ok I have been thinking about this for awhile now and I have a question. What do you guys think about me asking what the current LCO is charging them? The only reason i would consider this is that I did do some work in the past for the person that is taking the bids and he was quite pleased with the work i did.
            Thoughts?

Comment

Ok I have been thinking about this for awhile now and I have a question. What do you guys think about me asking what the current LCO is charging them? The only reason i would consider this is that I did do some work in the past for the person that is taking the bids and he was quite pleased with the work i did.
              Thoughts?
              You'll probably get a number much lower than what they are actually paying him.
              Northern California

Comment

Brandon,

If you were to bid on that, what would you suggest bidding? How much? How much time would it take you?

Comment

Im thinking about submitting a bid of 500.00 a month. Im not real sure on how long it will take me but my best guess is around 4 hours.

Comment

Shane,

Since this is a new experience for you, what do you think of the idea of going over there and offering them a free one time service so you could get a feel for how long it would take you to service the property.

Maybe present it to them as a gift in hopes they will choose you to service it and a way for them to test out the quality of care you offer. When it will really be an experiment for you in how long such a property would take to service.

Keep track of the time it took to do each service and then it would help you in the future estimate the amount of time a commercial property would take.

The next thing I would wonder is, say that it did take you 4 hours to perform. How much can you make servicing residential properties in the same 4 hours?

With your bid at $500/month, would that then be ($125 per 4 hours) of service? Or $31 per hour.

When you compare that to the money you make with residential, do you find you make more or less?

Comment

Think your a bit low

Hey Clark,
                      I think i know where this is, from that area, Longwood, but anyway i live and operate in the deltona area now and do nothing that far towards you, really nothing on that side of the bridge.
                      Well if this is the place that i beleve it is it will take you, yourself , taking the time to do it right, aprox 6 to 8 hours, i would not do it for less then 45 an hour, reall more like 55 an hr. if you will be doing it weekly you should be somewhere around 750 to 850 a month and still be competitive., if i am not wrong of this facility, there are little areas between each drainage pond, and an area to maintain out by the road also. any way, good luck. if you figure you will take aprox. 6.5 hours a week on this property = 6.5 x 4.33 weeks =28.14hrs a month @45 per hour = $1266 a month, hard to profit working for less then 45 an hour. at 55 an hour it would be $1547 a month, so something to think about

Volusia Property Services

Comment

Sherman,

Thank you for your insight.

When you come up with a price for such a bid, how do you break it down?

How do you figure the amount of time it will take you?

How do you estimate the time for each service?

Comment

Just an update...

Well I did not get the bid at 800.00 a month but I went by the property today and who ever is doing the service now is doing a super ****ty job. So i guess they are learning, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Could you use this as a way to still get the property? Could you take a picture of it and send it to the property owner and point out the problems and how you would correct them? Would that help?

Comment

Could you use this as a way to still get the property? Could you take a picture of it and send it to the property owner and point out the problems and how you would correct them? Would that help?
                              I guess I could do that but who knows if they are in a signed contract that they cant get out of.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X